Calling for suggestions for repair and maintenance of IEM and IEM cable

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi,

I use IEMS strictly for travel. In recent times, I havent't travelled long enough to want to use IEMs.
Took them out recently and found them in rather bad shape.

Theese are UE Triple Fi 10 (excellent ones bought used from a FM here) and the cable is Null Audio Lune.
The IEMs have a white powdery coating on the rubbery surface.
The rubbery surface is also peeling off.

The cable has the terminal heads in disrepair.
One is completely gone exposing the pins fully. The other is slightly wearing off.

Firstly I want to know if the cable can be repaired and and the IEMs protected from further damage.
Pointers to repair facilities will be welcome.

Secondly, any advice to avoid this happening in the future.
Some advice on long term storage methods.
I don't expect to have much long distance travel in the future so storage durations could be long.

Driver 1.jpg Cable 1.jpg

Hi,

I use IEMS strictly for travel. In recent times, I havent't travelled long enough to want to use IEMs.
Took them out recently and found them in rather bad shape.

Theese are UE Triple Fi 10 (excellent ones bought used from a FM here) and the cable is Null Audio Lune.
The IEMs have a white powdery coating on the rubbery surface.
The rubbery surface is also peeling off.

The cable has the terminal heads in disrepair.
One is completely gone exposing the pins fully. The other is slightly wearing off.

Firstly I want to know if the cable can be repaired and and the IEMs protected from further damage.
Pointers to repair facilities will be welcome.

Secondly, any advice to avoid this happening in the future.
Some advice on long term storage methods.
I don't expect to have much long distance travel in the future so storage durations could be long.

View attachment 68456 View attachment 68455

You will get replacement cables easily, you might need to get a new one. Cable repair is possible if its a loose connection issue but else i think it will be difficult. For me storing the IEMs in cases have been sufficient to avoid any residue/moisture impacts on the same.

On a side note if you want to let go of the TF10s do let me know :) . I have one side with me and have lost the 2nd side in 2017 and have been looking for the TF10s ever since

Thanks @fLUX
How about the rubber peeling off from the IEMs?
Is it due to moisture?
They have been stored in a case all along.

Any cable suggestions?

Thanks @fLUX
How about the rubber peeling off from the IEMs?
Is it due to moisture?
They have been stored in a case all along.

Any cable suggestions?

Yes its due to moisture, I have had my headphone rubber coatings come off after they were stored in a wardrobe for too long. Some people use the camera anti-moisture cabinets which cost a lot , makes sense only if the gear is expensive.

It needs a 2 pin cable , not sure of .75 or .78. If you want to go completely wireless you can explore this

Buy small pouches of silica gel and keep them inside your cases.
Are you sure silica gel wont cause any irritation since I did read that silica gel does cause some irritation on contact with skin and the IEM will be in direct contact with the ṣilica gel as the case is going to be small.

Are you sure silica gel wont cause any irritation since I did read that silica gel does cause some irritation on contact with skin and the IEM will be in direct contact with the ṣilica gel as the case is going to be small.
Silica gel in pouches. Not directly.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back