can i manage without AVR remote and YPAO mic?

ramukmar.raj

Recently got a used Yamaha HTR 3067, unfortunately it does not have a remote and YPAO mic.
so is there some hack to use without a remote, like for changing settings?
Otherwise, I can see some remote in amazon for Rs800. guessing it will work fine as ppl have confirmed in the reviews for the product.

Talking about the mic, can I manage to setup properly without the mic (have read not so good reviews about YPAO anyway)
Otherwise how to get this mic, could not find anywhere.

can I manage to setup properly without the mic
It's possible. You'd need to measure the distance for each speaker from the main listening position and set the channel gains based on what sounds best for you. YPAO basic does not do much more than that.

Recently got a used Yamaha HTR 3067, unfortunately it does not have a remote and YPAO mic.
so is there some hack to use without a remote, like for changing settings?
Every function that can be done by the remote can be done by the buttons on the front panel of the Yamaha receiver. You will have to download the user manual to do that
Talking about the mic, can I manage to setup properly without the mic (have read not so good reviews about YPAO anyway)
Otherwise how to get this mic, could not find anywhere.
If you want to do the automatic calibration by the AVR you absolutely need the YPAO mic. Without the YPAO mic, you can set the individual speaker dB level, timing etc using the setup menu. But getting those values is a complicated procedure. Best is to get the YPAO mic. For getting the setup menu you need to connect the TV to the HDMI out and press some button on the front panel for 'on screen' display. I have done this for my Yamaha avr, but reading the User manual is essential for doing it without the remote.

The ypao mic is available on olx. There was a thread on hifivision where I think @efernand1 had posted details.

I would recommend getting a remote. Though most of the functions can be accessed from the front panel, I use the remote mostly for Volume control.

YPAO gives a good starting point. Though you can manually set the speaker levels based on your listening distances. I find myself adjusting the levels a bit, specifically the surround speakers, after completing the YPAO calibration.

You need a remote mainly for volume control and input selection.
I suggest to get a remote that works with the unit.
Else you can get a IR blaster which will not cost you more than 1.5k in Amazon. Works with most of the appliances and devices. You can control from your mobile.

Oakremote WiFi All in One Smart Universal Remote | IR Blaster | for TV, AC, Music System etc. Pre-Installed Library for All TV, AC, Set Top Box remotes Work with Alexa, Google Home & Oakter App https://amzn.eu/d/gbAKowF

@mbhangui unfortunately no luck finding a YPAO mic in olx. What is the price they are sold for generally in OLX ?
Don't remember the olx price now. I see that the seller is no longer there. In ubuy.co it is Rs 2000

There is a speaker setup menu and like what @mail2sumanth says, you can input the speaker distance to do the calibration. Using the mic however detects problems like phase problem, reflection issues, difference in dB level of speakers and it takes care of those issues. For phase problem it will tell you which speakers have been wired incorrectly.

Last edited:
There is a speaker setup menu and like what @mail2sumanth says, you can input the speaker distance to do the calibration. Using the mic however detects problems like phase problem, reflection issues, difference in dB level of speakers and it takes care of those issues. For phase problem it will tell you which speakers have been wired incorrectly.
Since I was in the same situation. I did db measuring with a mobile app. These two things will help you to a great extent without the mic. Check physical connections visually making sure phase is correct, there are AVR’s which detects it wrong 😑. And we ignore 😁. I don’t know if it really does the fine phase alignments for fronts and subs to match, I doubt with this old AVR or any entry level stuff. You can enjoy your new AVR. Not to worry much about the mic. If you get one well and good.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back