can I use these wires for basic yamaha HTiB

ramukmar.raj

I purchased a used yamaha HTiB which has Yamaha HTR 3067.
The problem is, no wires are provided and remote is also not provided.

My room is 10x14 feet.
First thing, can I used this existing wire at home, There is so much quantity of this available at home.
If its not going to make a HUGE difference, I don't want to spend much on wires.
Will using thinner wires like this cause any short circuit or anything ?? Otherwise I would just use these.
The print on wire reads : "fybros by kundancab 23/.0060 twin parallel core flat - 1100V nc"

PS: got the whole thing including active sub for 20k. sound feels amazing to me. (used for 5-6 yrs)

attached a pic of the wires

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Maybe just purchase some 1.5 sqmm electrical wires from a nearby shop. Measure the approximate length you need. A single coil of 90mtrs will cost you around 1.6k, but you'll probably only need around a quarter of it for all speakers.

Hi

I also have the same HTiB. Earlier I used the speaker wires that came with the setup, which were thin. When I changed my place, I needed a longer wire. For that, I went with Amazon Basics speaker wire (12 AWG).
They are not costly & you can go with it.

Happy listening!!

Yes. Make sure your connections are wired in the correct terminals and even a strand can short the AVR
how can just a strand short the AVR ? unless its touching the some other port next to it

Also can I use some solder for all the tips on all wires to avoid strands and less messier ?

Also can I use some solder for all the tips on all wires to avoid strands and less messier ?
That's what I do before inserting them into proper banana / spade connectors. Soldering the ends will prevent the strands from breaking and hence keep the restance as low as possible. And then there are few audiophiles brainwashed by exotic cable manufacturers who say putting solder at the ends is blasphemy. I have tried both and found no difference. Those wires you posted in the original post are thin. For higher wattage you need more current and hence thicker wires. In the audio industry people use the American Wire Gauge as the standard for specifying the thickness. My recommendation would be to get OFC speaker wires from Amazon. OFC stands for oxygen free copper. Oxygen free means that the copper will not get oxidized and the resistance will remain constant as years pass by. The wires you have shown already show signs of oxidation. The colour has become dark brown instead of the reddish brown copper colour. You can easily get amazon basics and MX. There are others too. The Front L and R require the max power. The Centre speaker too should be treated like the Fronts. 12 AWG gauge should be minimum for the fronts and the centre. The surround speakers don't require that much power and you can use 14AWG. For 14 AWG 50ft costs just Rs 699.

If you buy MX speaker wires remember that MX specifies the wire thickness in metric units (e.g. 2.5 sq mm) which is almost 14 AWG).

In general the OFC speaker cables look like this. They have a transparent sheath which shows the reddish brown colour of the copper inside and hence any oxidation of copper will be clearly visible.
1660349033801.png
and the cheaper speaker cables (non-ofc) and copper clad aluminium (this is not pure copper), look like this. Stay away from this kind of speaker wires. It is impossible to detect the condition of the copper in these cables without cutting the plastic sheath and exposing the copper strands.
1660349142833.png

Last edited:
The wires were working fine, but the AVR turned off twice, so when I read more about this in hifivision, It mostly is due to power fluctuations or also could be due to some wiring issue.

How good are these wires: https://www.amazon.in/Lapras-Speake...09Y2FNNMK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

what is 23/52 and what does the same correspond in gauges ?
Basically this is a 23 AWG gauge cable (quite thin). Each individual strand is 52AWG (very very thin, but understandable). I would stay away from this cable. From the amazon link you posted, the colour of the cable in the product description looks like copper, but in the review photos posted by buyers, it looks like copper mixed with aluminium, imparting a silvery colour (photo posted below from the amazon review link). This is definitely not pure copper
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back