Can Sony music system speakers perform well in home theater as front & surround????

Viren007

Hi,

Can Sony music system speakers perform well in home theater as front & surround, my idea is to use these component speakers as front and surround with my Denon 1713, please help me if any FM tried this before, i would like to know the cons & pros of this, these speakers are easily available at OLX/Quikr for much cheaper price then other branded bookshelfs.

regds, Viren

Re: Can Sony music system speakers perform well in home theater as front & surround??

Your front speakers carry roughly 95% of the sound-- so in general you should select excellent speakers for these-- I would suggest you use the Sony speakers for the rear and invest in excellent speakers for the front

Re: Can Sony music system speakers perform well in home theater as front & surround??

As Thtpro pointed out front speakers should be good ones, I found that out myself.
I was in much the same position as you are, I was using a pair of Sony Sony SS-DX2 as my front speakers with my Yamaha 371. These are not bad speakers by any means, and sounded good. But then I purchased a pair of Sonodyne 1501 BS. The difference in sound quality is very very easily noticeable. Sonodynes are by no means the best, as people will say there are much much better speakers to be found out there. The old Sonys fall by the wayside compared to the Sonodynes, imagine what you will be missing out if you are to get a good pair of BS to your liking.

Not that the sonys dont perform, but if you're looking out to buy such speakers off olx or quickr you can find good deals on brands like wharfedale, polk audio etc. I am currently using a pair of sony bookshelves as fronts with my Onkyo HTS 3400, compared to the tiny fronts Onkyo had supplied the Sonys have made a considerable difference in SQ.
But the best bet for you would be to watch the same space for some good deals on wharfedales, polks, magnats etc, find ones that suit your budget and use them as fronts, and I second fm Thtpro's opinion in using the sony for surrounds

Cheers

one of the FM offering me Tannoy V4 2 BS & Center. Is Tannoy perform well then Sony.

There are tons of Sony speaker models out there, right from 1K+ to 14 Lakhs+. So sound quality will vary from model to model. But generally Sony speakers which come with their music systems usually have a bass heavy sound and if you prefer speakers which produce a lot of bass then you will like them.

one of the FM offering me Tannoy V4 2 BS & Center. Is Tannoy perform well then Sony.

The Tannoys BS speakers should sound better than Sony speakers that come with Sony music systems.

Simple thumbrule can be that if you have invested in an AVR, you should look to invest that much at least in your front speakers to get real matching quality.

As price increases sound quality increases..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back