Can you suggest a 55 inch 4K TV? A long dream...

I know the discussion here is geared toward TVs but just for curiosity is it possible for you to consider quality projectors, considering you have the budget for it?

Yes, now I'm convinced that the Sony 55X900E is indeed very good compared to the Samsung MU7000. Certainly the picture settings were wrongly set at the retailers place and the salesman too was forcing rather pleading me to buy the Samsung. I've got a final price for the Sony 55X900E at 138000/- from croma incl kindle white + 1TB HDD as freebies. Still to lookout at other places.

Thanks for the videos you shared, it clearly clarifies the doubts about this TV. I too searched in youtube and found quite interesting videos on this TV.

The main thing lacking on this Model is Dolby Vision HDR support. The next Model up (X9300E) has Dolby Vision and a much better Panel but is seriously expensive.

The Cosumer Electronics Show CES starts on Jan 7 this is when all the companies announce new models. If can wait for just over a week or so the waters will be less murkier in regards to where HDR is heading towards.

Unless you will be buying Blu Rays with HDR content you can forget our cable/dish to provide 4k anytime soon let alone HDR. Netflix has normal 4k HDR but you really need fast connection with lot of data to use it all the time. Also the models announced will not come here before second half of the year.

Unless you will be buying Blu Rays with HDR content you can forget our cable/dish to provide 4k anytime soon let alone HDR. Netflix has normal 4k HDR but you really need fast connection with lot of data to use it all the time.

If you're investing upwards of 1.3 lakh surely it makes sense to future proof yourself with the latest tech which will last for around three to four years at least I would thought? I have a 100 Mbs fibre connection so would be able to stream Netflix in 4K without any issues.

But the A Blue Planet II Bluray is the killer 4K UHD HDR content which will sell Wagon loads of high end TV's. The whole TV industry should be paying the BBC loads of cash for making something so amazing.

Also the models announced will not come here before second half of the year.

I accept this is a fair comment.

Last edited:
I know the discussion here is geared toward TVs but just for curiosity is it possible for you to consider quality projectors, considering you have the budget for it?

Projector would not be possible for various reasons. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The main thing lacking on this Model is Dolby Vision HDR support. The next Model up (X9300E) has Dolby Vision and a much better Panel but is seriously expensive.

The Cosumer Electronics Show CES starts on Jan 7 this is when all the companies announce new models. If can wait for just over a week or so the waters will be less murkier in regards to where HDR is heading towards.

Unless you will be buying Blu Rays with HDR content you can forget our cable/dish to provide 4k anytime soon let alone HDR. Netflix has normal 4k HDR but you really need fast connection with lot of data to use it all the time. Also the models announced will not come here before second half of the year.

I've planned to buy after the CES show and then decide how it goes, what new models are announced and may be if I'm lucky a further discount would be announced on current 2017 models. Dolby Vision support would again cost quite a lot and I'm okay to go without it for budget reasons.

At present I've not bought any 4K blu-rays as I do not have the viewing capability, but my blu-ray collection would definitely come useful taking into consideration the 4K upscale feature & a much bigger screen, I guess. Now again getting a 4K blu-ray player would cost a bomb, so skipping for time being. So, I would be depend on online streaming services and personal collection.

I hope a 40mbps connection with enough data would be sufficient for 4K/HDR content to be streamed.

I've planned to buy after the CES show and then decide how it goes, what new models are announced and may be if I'm lucky a further discount would be announced on current 2017 models. Dolby Vision support would again cost quite a lot and I'm okay to go without it for budget reasons.

Whichever brand you buy, please make sure you buy it with extended warranty.. Since you have significant budget for TV, your cost of extended manufacturer warranty would also be high..

Whichever brand you buy, please make sure you buy it with extended warranty.. Since you have significant budget for TV, your cost of extended manufacturer warranty would also be high..

Yes sure, thanks. That's a very well suggestion made, certainly will add a 2 year extended warranty.

Latest models of 2018 from Sony is the X900F in sizes from 49 to 85 inches in the LCD range.

Major improvements & additions...
Dolby Vision, X1 Extreme processor, Google Assistant for smart home control and maybe a few more. Details as available online.

Pricing, availability and other details will take a good long time as I think.
Can we expect a further price cut on the 2017 models? Cause other than DV not much changes which again (the 2018 model) would be priced similar to X930E, the bigger brother.

They have announced two ranges for LED:

XF85 and XF90

XF 90 is the all singing and dancing model which will cost a pretty penny I'd imagine.

Sony UK site: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xf9005-series#product_details_default

XF 85 should be affordable does not have Dolby Vision but importantly has Hybrid Log-Gamma straight out of the box. This is the one I will buy :) when its eventually released as long as its not stupidly priced.

Sony UK Site: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xf8500-series#product_details_default

Typically new ranges are made available in India around Apr or so. Sometime even May-June. With new series/ model coming/ releasing, old models typically are available at 25-30% lower, if not more.

Another vote for Sony XBR-55X900E. Bought it last year after a one-month long in-home comparison with Samsung KS8000 (which was reported to be better than recent Samsung models). Key difference with Samsung was that Sony colors are more natural and accurate even after all the adjustments. Have been very satisfied with this TV, even when compared to one of the last Plasmas Panasonic built. Once set properly, I was able to get rid of plasticky faces and motion artifacts typical of LED TVs. Plasma still wins in terms of picture uniformity when sitting to the side instead of directly in front. If you will have such scenario frequently for people who really care, OLED may be the better option.

I think OLED ones with Dolby Vision would be a perfect choice making it also future proof (atleast for a few years ;)). I actually own a Samsung 7 Series 4K curved one with HDR (55KU7350) having a AA01 Panel. Does the job well in portraying excellent picture quality with perfect color schemes showcasing most natural colors. That being said, after looking at OLEDs, they sure are a class apart and the best choice that would fit in your budget range with stunningly beautiful picture clarity and a vivid difference can be instantly made compared to LEDs. No doubt about that.

Thank you all for the suggestions and information, I'm still waiting on some price clarity as I surely think that Sony would reduce the price for the 55X900E and would benefit from it. But this may take some time I think and till then I've to wait.

In the meantime to tame my desires of upgrading, I've bought the RTiA7 and added them to my 5.1 system with RTiA3's as rear surrounds. There is a remarkable difference in the sound quality compared to RTiA3 and surely feels like money well spent.

Now I'm like a sitting duck with no screen as my 40 incher has gone to my daughter (upgrade from 26").

Though I think Sony XBR9000E with 55 inches would be good choice. In case you are in for lesser known brands, wait for 14th Feb, one of the established phone brand is launching 55 in 4k tv a mouth watering price. Though it will not have top of the line specs, but the price will blow away.

Thank you all for the suggestions and information, I'm still waiting on some price clarity as I surely think that Sony would reduce the price for the 55X900E and would benefit from it. But this may take some time I think and till then I've to wait.

In the meantime to tame my desires of upgrading, I've bought the RTiA7 and added them to my 5.1 system with RTiA3's as rear surrounds. There is a remarkable difference in the sound quality compared to RTiA3 and surely feels like money well spent.

Now I'm like a sitting duck with no screen as my 40 incher has gone to my daughter (upgrade from 26").

Remember the golden rule for TVs......all brands use parts from China and higher the cost ....supposedly better the built quality......panels are not guaranteed to perform well....if it fails within warranty then you are in luck for a replacement....if out of warranty then you are in a soup....

Extra warranty can be purchased, this is the latest gimmick which dealers are throwing to consumers to make a quick earning......the question is......does extra warranty imply that the panel is built to fail and hence the extra warranty purchase? The other angle....the panel will never fail for 5 years...just to put fear in the consumer, extended warranty sales being pushed to make money......

Given all parts are china and panels may differ for brands, I would put my money in a brand which fulfils my connectivity , viewing , listening requirements....for example Videocon....I would look at their premium series....same for VU etc etc..

Rather than making a hurried huge spend....if I had no TV now, I would pick a pre owned one from OLX and use it.....later sell it......once I get the actual TV I want!

Remember the golden rule for TVs........if it fails within warranty then you are in luck for a replacement....
Rightly said and I second it. And it still holds good in case of top of the line brands when a major issue like panel replacement is required.
One should carefully install TV which must not be exposed to moisture. Not advisable over a common wall of wash room or where kitchen/ basin is fixed.
The guys of the service centre will take a pic of the position of TV if placed in moisture-prone area and warranty will be void.
Any way, go ahead for the best buy.
Good Luck

Interesting points made here, thanks for all your suggestions. The launch of the MI tv has certainly brought a big question of spending such a big amount on tv's after reading so many replies and views on panel failures and other things.

Well, my dream still looks a bit far and will take another couple of months to take a firm decision on buying a tv.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back