challenging task....can u help me out...??

mikhilsoni

Im a 20 yr old Engg. student(final yr)...This will be my first home theatre system...Initially it will be a 2.1 ch...later on rear n sub will be added....Please guide me through...Im mad for BASS....so priority is dat my system shud be boom boom boom....

So here it goes....

REQUIREMENT - 80 % music / 20% movies
ROOM SIZE - 25 x 16...its a hall actually...
BUDGET - 50K MAX

DVD PLAYER - PHILIPS 5.1ch...I already have it..
IPOD NANO...and PC will be also used as a source....

THINGS TO BUY----

1. RECEIVER

YAMAHA RX -V459
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv459.html

YAMAHA RX -V461.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv461.html

Please suggest which one to go for....im getting both of them at same price 18k....

2. FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS

Sonodyne sonus 2605
Home Audio > Sonus Series

Wharfdale Diamond series 8.4
Wharfedale

Which one to go for...??im getting sonus 2605 for 20K...Please suugest are there any Better speakers within dis range....although i lyk sonus 2605....Ur suggestion is invited but please do intimate me bout d price tag...

3. SUBWOOFER

Sonodyne ROARR 2815...
Home Audio > Roarr Series

Im gettng dis sub for 15K...U know a better sub in dis price range.let me know(wid price tag)....

Now here is a big mess....just help me out...it can b called crazy but plz...suggest...Will dis work...???

2 pioneer sub TS-w307(Rs .3500 each) Pioneer USA - Champion Series

connected with a 1 big or 2 small alpine amp...all connected by a battery...This whole package in a wooden box tightly sealed is very easily available here for 12K...
now tell me can dis component (2 pioneer sub nd alpine amp) be added later on wid subwoofer(sonus) still working....??

Mikhil,

Am not really sure what are you trying to achieve here. If you are behind "mad bass"; am afraid this forum wont be of much help.

However, as per your requirements I can suggest you -

a) Marantz AVR - they are really good with music
b) Wharfedale Diamonds 9.5s
c) Wharfedale Sub 150

This combo will sound very musical but am afraid it might not cater to your bass needs; here bass could be refined and deep but not loud.

There is an other model which might serve the purpose to the fullest, Sony MUTEKI HTDDW1600 Review - Home Cinema Kits. A fellow member realactivex provided the review link. I happen to see this one last week. It was really LOUD, if that is what you are after. Will only set you back by 30-35k max.

All the best.

"Sony MUTEKI HTDDW1600" - if you are from blore, you can get a demo from HomeTown, Marathahalli OR any eZone.

Having said that, I would still urge you to consider the seperates from companies like Denon, Onkyo, Marantz paired with Wharfedales, Monitor Audio, Moudaunt Short etc.

Last edited:
i live in delhi...can get demo easily...

but my budget is 45k...wl i get onkyo...marantz in it...??wats ur take on sonodyne..??

frankly speakng....im new to all dis...but i know my requirements.....beautiful sound with ample bass....i listen to hindi...some english songs....i dont like rock...pop...nd dont know bout them either....hope u can help me decide dat wat shud i go for....sony or yamaha +sonodyne....

Hi, buy a dedicated 2 channel amp, sounds much better than a 6.1 receiver. Since your requirement is for music, check out on cambridge audio, NAD & Rotel.
For more info chk this thread

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/174-types-amplifiers-class-class-b-class-ab-class-d.html

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/162-integrated-vs-pre-power.html

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/529-c-vs-nad-vs-marantz.html

Anil.

Im a 20 yr old Engg. student(final yr)...This will be my first home theatre system...Initially it will be a 2.1 ch...later on rear n sub will be added....Please guide me through...Im mad for BASS....so priority is dat my system shud be boom boom boom....

So here it goes....

REQUIREMENT - 80 % music / 20% movies
ROOM SIZE - 25 x 16...its a hall actually...
BUDGET - 50K MAX

DVD PLAYER - PHILIPS 5.1ch...I already have it..
IPOD NANO...and PC will be also used as a source....

THINGS TO BUY----

1. RECEIVER

YAMAHA RX -V459
RX-V459 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

YAMAHA RX -V461.
RX-V461 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

Please suggest which one to go for....im getting both of them at same price 18k....

2. FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS

Sonodyne sonus 2605

Wharfdale Diamond series 8.4
Wharfedale

Which one to go for...??im getting sonus 2605 for 20K...Please suugest are there any Better speakers within dis range....although i lyk sonus 2605....Ur suggestion is invited but please do intimate me bout d price tag...

3. SUBWOOFER

Sonodyne ROARR 2815...

Im gettng dis sub for 15K...U know a better sub in dis price range.let me know(wid price tag)....

Now here is a big mess....just help me out...it can b called crazy but plz...suggest...Will dis work...???

2 pioneer sub TS-w307(Rs .3500 each) Pioneer USA - Champion Series

connected with a 1 big or 2 small alpine amp...all connected by a battery...This whole package in a wooden box tightly sealed is very easily available here for 12K...
now tell me can dis component (2 pioneer sub nd alpine amp) be added later on wid subwoofer(sonus) still working....??

i know it sounds weird....but i dont have any idea bout this stuff...i have a 5.1 ch dvd player philips....where will i connect this amplifier...to dvd player...??then i will get 2 channels amplified....fine....but how will i get sexy bass without subwoofer....i have seen some multichannel amp...from rotel...are they good...price...shud i get these....can i connect subwoofer with it...i dont know im right or wrong...please explain me in detail....im willing to go for a decent amplifier and sonodyne spkr and sonodyne woofer...coz i have heard loads of bad words for sony....

i listen to rishi rich,juggy d,bally sagoo,jay sean....so i think you can now help me better by knowng wat i listen to....and what i exactly need...

That?s ok bro. We have all been there at some point of time.

To set up a decent system, what you need are ?

a) Source ? Universal player to start with OR go for dedicated players for each format.
b) Speakers - Floorstanders/Standmounts + Subwoofers
c) Display ? CRT/plasma/LCD/projector (3lcd/DLP)
d) AVR ? Amp/Receiver for Audio Video sources. This is basically the CPU of any HT. You connect all your sources (DVD, CD, SACD, HD discs, Tuner, MP3 player etc), Speaker and Display (optional)
e) Cables

Now let?s talk about how to connect all this together.

i) Connect the source to the AVR via Digital Coaxial Cable.
ii) Connect the speakers to their respective binding posts with at least 16 gauge cables
iii) Connect the Sub to the Sub-out with a RCA or preferably a dedicated subwoofer cable. One sub is enough for most of the cases, if you want more bass, you can always add more.
iv) Calibrate you speakers with and SPL meter and Avio DVD if you can get one; if you don?t have access to any of these try the good old trial and error.
v) You can connect the DVD player to the display with HDMI/Component/S-Video/RCA connectors depending on the level of quality you want.

IF the bottleneck is money, start with 2 channel amp (Cambridge Audio 640a V2 or Marantz PM7001 or Rotel RA-04 etc) plus two decent floorstands/ standmounts (Wharfedale Diamond 9.5/9.1 or Mordaunt-Shorts Avant 908i/902i or Monitor Audio BR2/BR5) As and when your finances allows, you may upgrade to a multichannel amp. Or if its an AVR you want to start with, try the Onkyo TX-SR505. You may use your current DVD player to start with.

This might not be an very detailed DIY guide but am sure this not at all that tough. But if you still think this is too much, you will have to compromise quality and go for the convenience of a HTIB.

All the best.

thanx a lot for such a useful post...thanx a lot...

i will use a 2 channel amp...cool....but can i connect my woofer wid it along with floorstandings...??are multichannel amps too expensive..??my budget for amp or receiver is 15k-18k....total budget is 45k...how can i connect more than 1 subwoofer....??i have planned to buy all the stuff by 15 jan....no HTib for me....i need powerful system...surround or a 5 channel speakers are not a necessity at this moment....

i will use a 2 channel amp...cool....but can i connect my woofer wid it along with floorstandings...??are multichannel amps too expensive..??my budget for amp or receiver is 15k-18k....total budget is 45k...how can i connect more than 1 subwoofer....??i have planned to buy all the stuff by 15 jan....no HTib for me....i need powerful system...surround or a 5 channel speakers are not a necessity at this moment....

a) You can connect a sub with the floorstanders
b) Multichannel amps are available in all price catogories; you may check out the entry level models from Yamaha, Sherwood, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz etc.
c) Sonodyne is a good enough company to start with. You should be able to source a pair of floorstanders + a sub with in your budget

d) Try with one sub first, if you are not at all satisfied, let us know, we'll tell you how to add more.

All the best.

Well mikhilsoni,
Just wanted to add a word about the sony muteki stuff.. it SUCKS !!!
I have not seen in a single place such a waste of effort and money. To sum it all... from the audio point o view .. the response was just not it ..arrghhh...

At low volumes u'll hear bass bleeding like mad... and at higher volumes the mids and highs just get on a screeching jumble of noise.

Now coming back to the speakers.... just make sure you spend a tad more on the speakers ... since it seems to me that for that extra bit o bass ur ready to sacrifice the clarity part ..... (hehe we are not k9's to hear them all ... :eek: ) ...

Let us know ur decision in the end though !!!
Happy hunting

finally finally.....im going for....

floorstanding => sonodyne 2605....20k

subwoofer => roarr 2815...17K

guys...in that range...any better option...?

apart from that im still confused...shud i go for a yamaha reciever 5.1ch...for 18k...or should i go for a 2 channel amplifier...i want to know how can i connect 2 speakers,subwoofer to a 2 channel amplifier...because in a 2.1 ch only you have 2 speakers and a subwoofer.....please explain...also tell me some good amplifiers in this range....thanx a lot for your support...

finally finally.....im going for....

floorstanding => sonodyne 2605....20k

subwoofer => roarr 2815...17K

guys...in that range...any better option...?

apart from that im still confused...shud i go for a yamaha reciever 5.1ch...for 18k...or should i go for a 2 channel amplifier...i want to know how can i connect 2 speakers,subwoofer to a 2 channel amplifier...because in a 2.1 ch only you have 2 speakers and a subwoofer.....please explain...also tell me some good amplifiers in this range....thanx a lot for your support...

Hmm...better options?! Well, any day I would recommend Wharfedale 9.1/9.5 + Sub150

And just to ease out your confusion, go ahead and get yourself a 5.1 AVR. You should be able to fine tune it in "pure direct" mode for music needs, and you can always add the rest of the speakers to set up your complete HT.

Last edited:
can u tell me y wharfedale better than sonus 2605....wats d price for wharfedale diamond 9.5...any idea...??i hv heard sonus 2605 is better....dnt hve demo in del...:confused:

Oh boy, wish I could tell you that in simple words. See, its a little complicated to explain, one can only experience it, and trust me it differs from person to person. Arrange yourself a demo with your favorite CD/DVDs and find it for yourself.

You can google for reviews, if that helps. Here is a sample Stereophile: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 loudspeaker

If cost is a concern, stick with the sonodyne, they are no way bad speakers in any respect. Go ahead and get them!

PS: Am sure you have heard about The Kharma Exquisite Reference. Now if you ask why it is better than some or dare I say, all the rest; its bit tricky to explain!

Last edited:
can u tell me y wharfedale better than sonus 2605....wats d price for wharfedale diamond 9.5...any idea...??i hv heard sonus 2605 is better....dnt hve demo in del...:confused:

It's a matter of individual taste but the Wharfedale Diamonds tend to have a warm, mature sound that you can listen to for hours compared to the Sonodyne 2605's slightly bright sparkly sound. Not saying the Sonodyne is bad by any means but rather that the Diamond is an excellent product.

guys...getting more confused......getting more and more options on floorstandings....new entry in my list - Wharfedale Xarus 4000....i thnk they are more of what i want....lil bit loud and more bass...can u compare these i.e sonus 2605 and xarus 4000...personal point of view...???

also wats the price for velodyne vx10...??i have heard they are best in subwoofer league...??

also what kind of stuff should i carry along for my demo...??i hear punjabi mc,juggy d, rishi rich...nd stuff like that....should i carry some special tracks or all mentioned above in a audio cd...??

have have some very very low frequency sound tracks....titled 10hz-150hz....producing awesome low freq bass....should i carry these also...??

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back