Cheap DIY speaker switch

I too used anchor switches and a very ordinary plastic housing. Works like a charm. Thanks again. Actually cost me only Rs. 80 :)

I made it a bit time before & cost was low including Banana plug.Anyway enjoy DIY.:clapping:

final touch ..
as the switch will move due to slight movement of speaker wires , add a piece of rubber/heavy wood block at the back(optional)

Hi,

I made this switch long back but was testing it for any drawbacks.
So its simple around Rs.100max DIY speaker switch very useful when you want to connect 2 amps(AVR fronts & stereo amp)for same speakers.Size- 3 X 4 inches.

You need a Switch board(Rs.15) ,4 two way switchs(Rs40 total),Banana plugs.
All parts cost around Rs.100.Speaker cable for internal wiring is costly though(Supra 2.5)

You may creat a good switch like this with better internal wiring.
If someone finds any drawback doing this,pls.post with reasons.

cheers.

Neat work . My only objection is on the need for superior quality speaker wires.
This is not a solution for people who believe in spending huge money on speaker wires.

Also the switches used are 5 Amp switches - hence the contact point area will small. A higher capacity switch will improve the dynamic response.

A higher capacity say 25 amps or 40 amps - 4 pole MCB type changeover switch might be better suited. In fact you do not need any thing else and it can be used directly. No need of banana plugs also. And yes the MCB can be switched any number of times with out any problems

I do agree.Speakers cables are High Q from Supre cables.Yes switches need to be better quality.Thanks for suggestion.

Hi,seems a common requirement,ie connecting home cinema av receiver and hifi amp to a common pair of speakers.Am I being naiive in thinking a 4 pole rotary motor change over switch,cables wired direct to the switch,would be an elegant cheap(10-15)solution??

There are plenty of switches for 2 plus pairs of speakers with 1 amp,but 2 amps 1 set of speakers becomes expensive.It requires disconnection before re-connection.The only thing that worries me is should the amp see a load when disconnected,ie does it need some 8 ohm resistors??

Hi,seems a common requirement,ie connecting home cinema av receiver and hifi amp to a common pair of speakers.Am I being naiive in thinking a 4 pole rotary motor change over switch,cables wired direct to the switch,would be an elegant cheap(10-15)solution??

Yes it should work - what capacity (Amp rating) switch?

Thank you for that!My Onkyo AV receiver is away for repair,so I pressed my ancient Armstrong 625 into service.I hadn't used it for 10+ years .Playing vinyl was a revelation.I don't know if it is more accurate,but it certainly sounds good-hence wanting the facility to use it easily.Motor switch here I come! Thanks for your help.On re-reading the thread you had actually suggested similar.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back