Cheap DIY speaker switch

spirovious

Hi,

I made this switch long back but was testing it for any drawbacks.
So its simple around Rs.100max DIY speaker switch very useful when you want to connect 2 amps(AVR fronts & stereo amp)for same speakers.Size- 3 X 4 inches.

You need a Switch board(Rs.15) ,4 two way switchs(Rs40 total),Banana plugs.
All parts cost around Rs.100.Speaker cable for internal wiring is costly though(Supra 2.5)

You may creat a good switch like this with better internal wiring.
If someone finds any drawback doing this,pls.post with reasons.

cheers.

Last edited:
As an additional modification, you can fix a flat plastic strip to the four switches so that all the four switches switches together in the same direction. This will ensure that all the channels are switched at the same time.

Thanks Chandu & Vivek for additional trick.I thought that earlier too,but given off idea just because not sure that plastic strip will press all buttons at a time(technically it can)& there wont be any short circuit.(to prevent amp Damage)

Small another modification mate,Instead we can use a mcb type of switch which comes with 4(2,3 we can buy a combination what is required by us) switches in a single stroke.

Last edited:
Yes it comes in 4 way,obviously it will be costlier....
I think MCBs are not designed for using like a regular switch. It may not last long if used for frequent on-off

I also thought the regular electrical on-off switch has a higher contact resistance which is not ideal for speakers. But as a simple DIY , this is good.

I also thought the regular electrical on-off switch has a higher contact resistance which is not ideal for speakers. But as a simple DIY , this is good.

Will it cause a lot difference/SQ?I did not find noticable...

Very good and neat doc. I this the swich we talked about? Next time plas take it in our meet

Very good and neat doc. I this the swich we talked about? Next time plas take it in our meet

Yes this is the same.Earlier it had only one pair of Banana plugs & input wires(short)were directly connected to 2 way buttons.Today I added more banana ports sothat its flexible now.I need to insulate it furthere as ports are very close & will bet it in next Meet.:)

Hi,

I made this switch long back but was testing it for any drawbacks.
So its simple around Rs.100max DIY speaker switch very useful when you want to connect 2 amps(AVR fronts & stereo amp)for same speakers.Size- 3 X 4 inches.

You need a Switch board(Rs.15) ,4 two way switchs(Rs40 total),Banana plugs.
All parts cost around Rs.100.Speaker cable for internal wiring is costly though(Supra 2.5)

You may creat a good switch like this with better internal wiring.
If someone finds any drawback doing this,pls.post with reasons.

cheers.

Looks simple and efficient, will try it out this Sunday if I find time.

why not just use the AVR's preouts for mains and feed them to the integrated amp and let that drive the mains. Your AVR will also do a better job as its no longer driving the mains.

why not just use the AVR's preouts for mains and feed them to the integrated amp and let that drive the mains. Your AVR will also do a better job as its no longer driving the mains.

I do not want to run both the amps at the same time. So i think this switch is a better solution

Pls.check if you get better switches for long lasting as these are used for electricity.

better switches line Roma cost Rs. 80 a piece and the main benefit is cosmetic.
I do agree these are electrical switches, but I don't think will degrade sound quality in anyway. Let me try and share the experience with you.

You could try a 4PDT switch like this
This will switch on / off all four inputs at a time, will save you from hassles of operating all four for switching the amps, and also would occupy less space and look neat.

I made it and it works great. The shortcut I employed is not to use banana plugs.
Since I do not plan to port it, I just wired the cables directly to the switches.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back