Checklist to avoid buying Demo Piece - LCD /Plasma Tv

My friend purchased a lg cx OLED tv yesterday in Delhi . Today a LG installer came to install TV at his house. After wall mounting the TV, he right away used INSTOP command from his service remote to factory reset the TV. When he confronted him as to why he had done a hard reset on a new TV, he said as per LG guidelines they have to hard reset all TVs using INSTOP command. When he asked him to show these guidelines, he said these are verbal guidelines. As we know with INSTOP command usage hours of TV are reset, so now unscrupulous dealers can easily sell display pieces as now LG installers themselves will right away reset usage hours.

My friend purchased a lg cx OLED tv yesterday in Delhi . Today a LG installer came to install TV at his house. After wall mounting the TV, he right away used INSTOP command from his service remote to factory reset the TV. When he confronted him as to why he had done a hard reset on a new TV, he said as per LG guidelines they have to hard reset all TVs using INSTOP command. When he asked him to show these guidelines, he said these are verbal guidelines. As we know with INSTOP command usage hours of TV are reset, so now unscrupulous dealers can easily sell display pieces as now LG installers themselves will right away reset usage hours.
Wow, it's like the dealers are not even trying at this point.

I suppose LG would have started receiving lots of complaints that usage hours are not zero, dealer sold a display piece etc. So they chose easy way out, to reset the hours at time of installation only.
These are all against customer rights. Will try the same in EU?
The TV companies are supposed to provide the retailers with display pieces which should be sold as open box. As a customer paying for new product, everyone has the right to get an unused tv.
In india, even the bike showrooms remove the odo-meter connection and give the bikes for test drives and sell it to unsuspecting customers instead of procuring and registering a test drive vehicle. Tv is nothing compared to driving an unregistered vehicle on road.

The TV companies are supposed to provide the retailers with display pieces which should be sold as open box. As a customer paying for new product, everyone has the right to get an unused tv.
In india, even the bike showrooms remove the odo-meter connection and give the bikes for test drives and sell it to unsuspecting customers instead of procuring and registering a test drive vehicle. Tv is nothing compared to driving an unregistered vehicle on road.
Ya when new creta was just launched, the dealer gave me a test drive in an unregistered vehicle, from the looks of it was meant for delivery to a customer. Had any accident happened, I presume he would have repaired the damage and sold it as brand new.

EU has very strong consumer laws, here you will have to spend years in trial and then appeal process etc before consumer court.

As we know with INSTOP command usage hours of TV are reset,
Presence of INSTOP command itself sounds fishy. What is the purpose of resetting tv usage hours other than duping customers? Usage hours should not be resettable at all.
Do companies other than LG too have this?

that's really sad to hear ... now the only way is to switch on the TV by yourself, confronting him that you are no noob and at the same time making a video of it as there's no written guidelines from lg that after installing the tv the lg guy should switch on it and reset it the very first. The installer cannot force you to do it himself. If the TV would be having a high usage hours, at least you have the video proof to claim in future if any dispute arises.

I got the 55X9500G TV from Sony Center in Bannerghatta road, Bangalore (Haavit Retail). It was delivered and installed yesterday.
After installation by evening I noticed that the TV's back had scratches on the back and the mountings crews are removed from the back leaving 4 holes. Service menu is showing 250 hours of on time.
After I noted these details I called the sales guy as I had asked for new piece and but unfortunately things went downhill from him accusing why I did not tell at time of installation and how we can believe I am not lying. This entire experience has left a sour taste in my mouth. When I log complaint with Sony customer care they just give round about. I regret not getting from Amazon or Croma, 3-4K money is not worth this.
Could you please list out the steps to check usage hours on this model?

Could you please list out the steps to check usage hours on this model?
check this link. I am not sure if I had to use vol+ or -.

Thanks guys for advice and support! Looks like for the time being I don't have to go full nuclear.

After I I got tired of being made to run pillar to post by dealer, installation department and customer care I escalated within Sony India and things started moving at ground level. I was promised a new unit that will arrive from Sony to replace the demo unit. I would have liked to enjoy the new TV instead of having to deal with this for hours at end, but at the end of the day happy to see there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Did you get the new TV as promised? Can't believe that out of all the people Sony Center guys would do such a thing?

check this link. I am not sure if I had to use vol+ or -.
Any idea what is the difference between number of usage hours and number of panel hours?

Any idea what is the difference between number of usage hours and number of panel hours?

Yes they did, I had updated my experience here. It took 10 days for new replacement. Demo units being sold by brand shops is nothing new just search this forum and you'll see, most people will never notice and move along. I have come to the conclusion that buying from e-com sites maybe better.
No idea, it was same figures for me. If I have to guess usage must be reported from main board and other for the panel, so a difference means panel was replaced(?).

Yes they did, I had updated my experience here. It took 10 days for new replacement. Demo units being sold by brand shops is nothing new just search this forum and you'll see, most people will never notice and move along. I have come to the conclusion that buying from e-com sites maybe better.

No idea, it was same figures for me. If I have to guess usage must be reported from main board and other for the panel, so a difference means panel was replaced(?).
Happy that you got the replacement unit. Now, I can't even trust the brand shops. What a pitiful situation this is for the customer. Did you check the numbers on the replacement unit? Was it all 0000-0000-0000?

You can have panel switched off and run tv in audio only mode.
Also standby in sony tvs switches off the panel but the motherboard and OS keeps running. (For instantaneous start etc)
Both these could contribute to difference in timing.

Also it might not be zero as some testing might have been done in factory before packing. But you will definetely know if there is a usage amounting to being used as display.

Happy that you got the replacement unit. Now, I can't even trust the brand shops. What a pitiful situation this is for the customer. Did you check the numbers on the replacement unit? Was it all 0000-0000-0000?
It was 0000-0005-0000.
I did not need to check actually because this one had some things which the display one did not. 1) Wall mount screws were not stripped out from use, display piece had no screws! 2) There are about 15cm wide brown protective wrapping covering side edges which was missing earlier. 3) made in same month as when I got. 4) there is also a label on the box which says when the retailer got the TV and it was a day or two before delivery.

You can avoid all this headache if you insist to bring the box to showroom before paying. They needed 3 days to deliver for me which I presume was to pack the display piece. Also maybe check the serial no. of the display piece while at the showroom, but this is not foolproof.

It was 0000-0005-0000.
I did not need to check actually because this one had some things which the display one did not. 1) Wall mount screws were not stripped out from use, display piece had no screws! 2) There are about 15cm wide brown protective wrapping covering side edges which was missing earlier. 3) made in same month as when I got. 4) there is also a label on the box which says when the retailer got the TV and it was a day or two before delivery.

You can avoid all this headache if you insist to bring the box to showroom before paying. They needed 3 days to deliver for me which I presume was to pack the display piece. Also maybe check the serial no. of the display piece while at the showroom, but this is not foolproof.
I have noticed the 2nd point in one of the unboxing videos on YouTube. Thanks for the other points. I'm going to receive my X9500G on Friday. Fingers crossed. Should I ask them to open the box and show me the piece before paying the full amount?

You can have panel switched off and run tv in audio only mode.
Also standby in sony tvs switches off the panel but the motherboard and OS keeps running. (For instantaneous start etc)
Both these could contribute to difference in timing.

Also it might not be zero as some testing might have been done in factory before packing. But you will definetely know if there is a usage amounting to being used as display.
What would the ideal number if there was some testing done at the factory? A number below 10 is good enough?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back