Checklist to avoid buying Demo Piece - LCD /Plasma Tv

Hey ..congrates Imrahn on your purchase :clapping:

so you finally bought B550. I hope you must be enjoying the PQ.

regarding viewing hours of 253 hrs.....ummmmmm......I'll take into account few factors before jumping into a conclusion. First of all one needs to find out what should be the normal veiwing hours displayed in a sealed pack new LCD just came out of factory. May be some research into manufacuring process would prove to be of some help. Should it be zero hours?? I don't think so.

May be understanding the mechanism through which viewing hours is captured in the system should help. Does this viewing hours implies use of display screen only/use of chip/circuit/or just the total time electrical current flown into the system?

If some body can do a bit of research and update all members, it'll be great. To me, its other way round, LCDs generally has 30K to 60K hours of lifespan. Why to bother about some 0.4%-0.5% uses and spoil the enjoyment of remaining 99.95% viewing experiance.

Cheers........

very true buddy...:):)
This is what our guru adder replied in another forum on the matter

the indicated hrs is for the CCFL lamp time which is normal,anything around 300hrs or less is normal.manufactures test these lamps for a good number of hrs.
for eg sony tvs are tested close to 300hrs,so urs is normal.

So, am happy and pretty much relaxed now..........and oh yea, enjoying the stunning quality of this set.Apart from the slight judder with panning shots, this is a stunning set for the price.

I checked my Samsung 46B550 delivered yesterday and it shows 253 hours.Is this normal? Somebody plz reply :(

LCD, It does not matter.. It matters in plama as the initial hours are more prone to image retenstion if not handled properly.

I got mine with 287 hours.. But did some basic checkup on signs of retention and there were none. Did not worry much and Iam happy. :)

The 200+ hours may be for factory testing or something.. Don't know. But even if it were used for display, I dont bother as long as it has no visible marks etc..

Instead, If it were '0', I think I will worry because there is a setting to reset this counter (which is wierd!!) and shop keepers might make use of it.

When I had purchased my Polk RTiA3, I was sent a display piece. I was clever to note to serial number of the display unit. So when I cross checked, it was the same. I asked them to "re-pack" the speakers & scram!

Called the manager and threatened to complain. So he ensured that I got a fresh new pair within a week as they actually did not have stock.

Now this game was played by a reputed high end audio products dealer. So what can you expect from the general mass products dealers?

I guess the easiest thing to do is to pay while he goes to the godown and gets the fresh piece..All units come with factory seal. Insist on u devirginising this....

lol :lol: i love the way this thread is driving people nuts..instead of enjoying their purchases they are tense :lol:

Last edited:
i purchased bravia EX500 32 inch LCD. I pressed i+,5,vol up, menu. got to service menu.

but could not get the usage hours. the menu showed the following..
status information( details contained only some version no.s)
test reset off
no signal mute off
serial no edit
self diagnosis history(details contained some codes for errors all codes as 000)
LVDs of spectrum(%) 15
low of HPD 5
VCR1 off
GAISOU 8

that's it..
where is the usage hours option

please help.

I tried the following steps for pana 32S10 and it works ->

->Hold down the {VOL -} button ON THE TV.
->Press the {RECALL} button 3 times on the remote.
->The Service Menu will be displayed.
->Use {1} {2} on remote to navigate main menu items.
->Use {3} {4} on remote to navigate sub-menu items.
->Use {VOL+} {VOL -} on remote to change item value.
-> Write down all values before changing
Once a value is changed, THE CHANGE IS MADE.
-> Power off to exit service mode and save.

But the values for each of the settings were so strange I really did not change anything to be safe. Any of you have done this ? have any idea which will be the optimum settings for the LCD ?

Guys,

Any idea how to get to the service menu and find the usage hours in Sony LCD
KLV 32 V550A model?.

From the little research done so far looks like one of the two should get to
the service menu.

1) Set off, from remote press display, 5, vol up, power
(Some have additional self-test screen, same key sequence except
press vol down instead up).

2) The other sequence is in this thread few posts above,
i+, 5, vol up, menu. (slighlty different)

However there seems to be no guarantee that one could get to know the usage
hours. Is there anyone who can help with the sequence/code/options to get to
the usage hours on the Sony model in question?.

Thank you.

i have bought bravia EX500 40" i also want to chk the usage hours how can i do that help me out geeks

I recently bought a Samsung LED TV from one of the leading dealers in South India which has chain of stores in all major cities. I was delivered a display piece. Missed to notice at the time of delivery. Later saw the dust and finger prints on the screen. Also scratches in the frame and rear side. Called the dealer and they tried to convince me saying that the seal was broken just to make sure that the equipment is working fine and not a display piece. I just packed the TV and went to their showroom and found that display piece missing there. Finally they accepted that it is a display piece and agreed to deliver another fresh one once the stock arrives.

Points to note:

1. What ever the reason they say, never accept delivery if the box has more cellophane tapes on it in addition to the original factory seal.
2. All new LCD TVs comes with a scratch proof sticker on the screen for protection. This will be missing in display pieces mostly.

hi,

couple of months back, i wanted to buy samsung b650 lcd tv. I've checked many
showrooms nobody has the stock. but in one showroom, when i asked for that model
he asked for two mins to call up someone to check. he later came with a smile on
his face and said they have the stock and he kept telling me that it is a good and
fresh piece and i should go for it before someone buys it. I was little skeptical,
decided to check one more showroom.At first he said they don't have the stock and he
requested two mins to call up somebody. Later he said, no one has the stock in entire
city but there is one refurbished piece for very attractive price. Obviously the first
guy wanted to sell me refurbished piece. I was devastated of this whole thing. how can
they cheat customers like this, while we invest our hard earned money. We should improve
this thread and find foolproof ways of finding whether an lcd tv is fresh out of pack or
refurbished/display piece.

I have one more question, for pieces like refurbished ones, can the technicians reset the
usage hours?

btw, this happened in bangalore, the guy from Pai showroom tried to cheat me.
and the guy from Adishwar gave the info about refurbished piece.

Can someone tell me how exactly does a factory seal look like ?
I mean if a dealer opens the factory seal and seals the box again with some kind of scotch tape how will I be able to make out that the factory seal has been removed. I have seen dealers doing this i.e packing the tv with their own normal tape seal.

Well I am sure Samsung / LG / Sony / Panasonic must be having their own style of putting on the factory seal. So all you guys who have bought a new tv kindly confirm what sought of factory seal was present on the box before opening.

I am worried about this part as because I am going to buy a Samsung 50c450 PLASMA which is not available at a lot of dealers in Delhi. Infact the particular model is not available even with the company. Whichever dealer has it is probably having it as the older stock. I am in touch with a couple of dealers who are confirming that it will be a factory sealed pack.

But please advise how exactly would a factory seal be different from a normal tape seal ?

Among other things, look for a paper sticker with the company name( usually in brown / carton colour) around the carton especially the top. The dealers will usually reseal it with scotch tape or a brown duct tape.

Also, look for the plastic/ polythene wrap around the set itself to be taunt / tight - the dealets will usually do a clumsy wrap up as they cannot match the machine packing done in a factory. The thermacole packing too should be a tigt fit and show damage or excessive thermacole particles in the carton.

Finally, also look for the sticky plastic protective sheet stuck onto on the screen :this would have to be peeled away.

Good Luck!

@jbgude, the "sticky plastic protective sheet" - are you sure it is standard across all manufacturers.

I bought a Toshiba 40AV700E a few days a back. No such sheet on the screen, was scotch taped.Though the thermo coal packing seemed like a snug fit, no finger prints, no dust on the vents at the backside. Not sure what to make out of it. Brought it home myself and right out of the box, something was rattling inside and I had to open the back panel to remove a loose screw and two bits of broken plastic that is supposed to hold that screw in place.

Just sharing my experience. I bought an LG 42" LCD recently from Ezone. I specifically asked for a "sealed" piece. When taking delivery, due to the festivities, their godown had closed down, so the salesman asked me to take the piece they had in the showroom and that he would change it after the weekend holiday. He also insisted that the showroom pieces are not too old, maybe a week or two at the most (Further he said that as they had "run in" at the showroom, they were "tested" for defects and the like. I told him that if I did not get the new piece on Monday, I would take it up with LG and raise hell; he was pretty convinced I would!

Reassured that I was getting a new piece on the following Monday, I went home with the set. Later fiddling with the remote, I noticed that it has run more than 1380 hours, that is almost a year of use considering a 4-hour-a-day use. Also, the piece did not have the protective film on the sides and edges. I think it (the film) comes with all LG sets at least, because I have seen it in the LCD monitors I have got for my office (same with Dell PC monitors), and I am sure other manufacturers do the same.

Come Monday and I got my new sealed piece and I checked the menu settings quickly and saw the usage was 0 hours, so I was pleased with myself.

So I think new buyers need to do the following:

1. Look for settings in the menu where it shows the usage hours (Cheers to LG for that). Not sure about other manufacturers.

2. Make it very clear to the store that you want a brand new piece and anything used even for a hour, you are going to make it tough for the store. Be polite, but firm at the same time. Make it clear that mean business.

3. Film on edges of the LCD. I think all manufacturers have it nowadays.

Just sharing my experience. I bought an LG 42" LCD recently from Ezone. I specifically asked for a "sealed" piece. When taking delivery, due to the festivities, their godown had closed down, so the salesman asked me to take the piece they had in the showroom and that he would change it after the weekend holiday. He also insisted that the showroom pieces are not too old, maybe a week or two at the most (Further he said that as they had "run in" at the showroom, they were "tested" for defects and the like. I told him that if I did not get the new piece on Monday, I would take it up with LG and raise hell; he was pretty convinced I would!

Reassured that I was getting a new piece on the following Monday, I went home with the set. Later fiddling with the remote, I noticed that it has run more than 1380 hours, that is almost a year of use considering a 4-hour-a-day use. Also, the piece did not have the protective film on the sides and edges. I think it (the film) comes with all LG sets at least, because I have seen it in the LCD monitors I have got for my office (same with Dell PC monitors), and I am sure other manufacturers do the same.

Come Monday and I got my new sealed piece and I checked the menu settings quickly and saw the usage was 0 hours, so I was pleased with myself.

1. Look for settings in the menu where it shows the usage hours (Cheers to LG for that). Not sure about other manufacturers.

2. Make it very clear to the store that you want a brand new piece and anything used even for a hour, you are going to make it tough for the store. Be polite, but firm at the same time. Make it clear that mean business.

0 Hrs ...seems doubtful..like it must be resetted.
If I not mistaken TV ius tested for some time ,at least I ahve seen CRT testing ( indivisual) in onida...

Members your expereinces?

@JOhn: Good pointers to check as I have booked my LG 32" LD550 from JP Electronics yesterday...

0 Hrs ...seems doubtful..like it must be resetted.
If I not mistaken TV ius tested for some time ,at least I ahve seen CRT testing ( indivisual) in onida...

Members your expereinces?

I am not quite sure Hemant, I asked the LG techs who came later for the demo and they said it is one thing that can't be reset. Feedback from other users please.

It can be reset, but not via service menu. Has to be done via service port. When you open back panel, there would be a USB port near D board.

However, it not easy for a shop owner to do that. Very unlikely.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back