Checklist to avoid buying Demo Piece - LCD /Plasma Tv

Reliance Digital has a policy that they will never deliver display pieces. I have bought a fridge and washing machine from them. I told them that I do not want to see display pieces. They said their store never sells display pieces. I am now planning to buy a 40 inch LCD tv from them. However, I will still check before accepting a piece.

Vivek

This is the general statement of all the dealers :indifferent14:

But Reliance Digital stick to their word. I have only been sent sealed stuff. Anyway, I bought a Panasonic 42 inch LCD TV today from the brand shop and did the usual checks, ie. dust in the vents, factory seal outside on the packing box etc. I did not see any signs that it was a display piece.

Last edited:
I second Vivekphadnis on the reliability of Reliance Digital :) I have had only good experience with these folks. I picked my HK HT set from them and they gave me a very good deal on it after clearly mentioning that it was a demo pc and that it was a old model. I picked up the PC myself and when the personal came for installation we found that the USB port was malfunctioning. They immediately replaced it with a brand new PC in three days. You could tell that the PC was BRAND NEW in every aspect

I had bad experience with NEXT, Outer Ring road with my LED purchase.
Add the store to black list, if you want to avoid risk of demo piece.

Usage time check for Panasonic

The Official "How to Check the Hours Used on Your Plasma" Thread:

2011 Models : _X3 / S30 / ST30 / GT30 / VT30
2010 Models : _X24 / C2 / U2 / S2 / G20 / G25 / GT20 / GT25 / VT20 / VT25

* Press and hold the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA TV.
* Then press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times.

* "Start Adjustment Menu" message will be displayed followed
by the Service Menu after few seconds.

o ADJUST {Picture Adjustment}
o WB-ADJUST {White Balance Adjustment}
o OPTION {Option Setting}
o V-SUS {V-SUS Adjustment}
o AGING
o SRV-TOOL {Service Tool}
{1} & {2} buttons move through options

* Press the {2} button once to select "SRV-TOOL".

* Then press the {OK} button to access it.

* Using the cursor keys, highlight the right side
of the last item "PTCT :00.00.00.00.00" :

* Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.

* Time and Count will be displayed in red color:

__TIME = Hours : Minutes of operation.
COUNT = Times the Plasma was powered on.

* To exit, unplug the power cable.

WARNING BY BRUZZI: The {VOL+} and {VOL-} buttons are used
to change values while in the Service Menu. Make sure not to touch
those buttons when navigating menus / sub-menus.

lol :lol: i love the way this thread is driving people nuts..instead of enjoying their purchases they are tense :lol:

I always preferred to buy a display piece provided it doesn't look old. reason beeing already its run few hundred hrs in the show room so that if something has to happen might have happened in the show room itself not in my home:sad: if the pic quality is perfect thats it. The unit is seasoned and certainly will last for a long time in home use. I may be wrong technically,but i always preferred that way. As it is billed with full warranty not much to worry i hope. and almost all lcds have a life of 70,000 hrs = 2916 days=8 years. it goes like this if u watch tv 12 hrs a day then the lcd will last for 16 years, and if u watch 24hrs :eek:then it will last for 8 years. so if the show room guy used it for display for 500 hrs it shouldn't make much of problem. on an average people watch tv for 6 to 8 hrs a day, so we can keep 7 hrs for caliculation so 70,000/7= 10000 days=27yrs ok we can round it to 20 yrs. now the question is is any body going to keep the present lcd for 20 yrs??

All,
I had my Samsung PS51D550 is delivered yesterday ... So far all signs say that its fresh piece... (fingers crossed :))

I've checked -
1. Box seals,
2. All buttons for fingerprints, smudges, dust etc and its seems clean.
3. Also checked all ports for connector marks but they seem clean and new.
4. Also out of the box tv was not having any region, date or tuner setup.. So feel that its fresh new piece.

Question - How to check usage hours on this model? Please help

Thanks ...

I got 50VT20D and checked usage hours.
It mentions 20hours:14minutes and switched on for 14 times.

Is it a display piece or this amount of usage is common?

It could be. check for other signs listed in this thread and complain to your dealer.

20 HOURS!!! definitely a used piece, if not a display unit. I think you should ask for an exchange ASAP. 20 hours is not too much of usage, but definitely abnormal for a new set.

20 HOURS!!! definitely a used piece, if not a display unit. I think you should ask for an exchange ASAP. 20 hours is not too much of usage, but definitely abnormal for a new set.

May be it has gone under PDI, is that wrong.;)

Are you saying all new TV's should have 00:00:00 settings. ? Noob question :eek:

Booked 47LW6500 yesterday, surprised to see it got delivered today afternoon. This is from croma. Installation probably tomorrow. The box seems to be dusty, does that mean its a demo piece? Yet to open the box as i am waiting for the LG guy. It is sealed with normal tape, i don't see any LG tape.

How to check the usage hours for LG 47LW6500 ?

Laks

Bought Samsung D5900 LED.
How can i make sure its not a used piece?

P.S- WIll be delievred to my place on sunday.

May be it has gone under PDI, is that wrong.;)

Are you saying all new TV's should have 00:00:00 settings. ? Noob question :eek:

PDI ? some kind of inspection in the factory ? If thats so , i think i read somewhere that even if they were run , the main board will not be connected

as for the second question , yes i think all new sets should have 00:00:00 , but its hard to get that number coz by the time the set turns on and you navigate through the initial setup , you could have well spent 3-5 minutes. and getting into service menu , another 30 -45 seconds.

Mine(Panny 50ST30) showed 6 mintues and no of times switched on is 2 - it coincided exactly .. i switched on twice and took around 6 minutes to get into service menu..

Relevant question , even i wish to get answer is , could that service menu - usage time be reset ?

When i went to a store last week , one set was faced down and a sales guy in the corner was wiping everything very carefully , and using fine brushes to remove all kinds of dirt. So its not a big deal for shop owners to rebuff the demo piece to look exactly like new one.

I just bought the D490 for 43,250 rupees btw i havent got 2 3D glasses yet but i am little confused about the used,demo piece cause this tv have a dust on the plastic wrap on all 4corner and i can even see half round circle mark on back side of wall mount screw so does this means its a used,demo piece?

I just checked The Hours Used on my Plasma and its showing 555Hr so now its confirm that this is not new piece and help me what i do now? returned it or no? btw i called the that shop owner and told him about hours used and mark on back side but he is still saying its a brand new plasma and said its came directly from godown so its a new one but i said its a used,demo plasma so he replied me not to teach him about hours used & his working with the samsung from 6years and not to waste his time on phonecall about complaining so finally i asked him to replaced it with new piece and i he not agree much but told me to wait till monday if he can or not :(

i reallly appreciate if you please helps me friends.... :(

Last edited:
I just bought the D490 for 43,250 rupees btw i havent got 2 3D glasses yet but i am little confused about the used,demo piece cause this tv have a dust on the plastic wrap on all 4corner and i can even see half round circle mark on back side of wall mount screw so does this means its a used,demo piece?

I just checked The Hours Used on my Plasma and its showing 555Hr so now its confirm that this is not new piece and help me what i do now? returned it or no? btw i called the that shop owner and told him about hours used and mark on back side but he is still saying its a brand new plasma and said its came directly from godown so its a new one but i said its a used,demo plasma so he replied me not to teach him about hours used & his working with the samsung from 6years and not to waste his time on phonecall about complaining so finally i asked him to replaced it with new piece and i he not agree much but told me to wait till monday if he can or not :(

i reallly appreciate if you please helps me friends.... :(

555 hours!!!!! if your sure its 555hr then please ask the dealer to come and check the tv! show him the usage hours. Ask him immediately to replace the tv or else you will take it up with Samsung customer care!! or even the consumer court as a last resort.

you will have to raise your voice if you need things to be done!! Its just sad that dealers take people for a ride!!:mad:

555 hours!!!!! if your sure its 555hr then please ask the dealer to come and check the tv! show him the usage hours. Ask him immediately to replace the tv or else you will take it up with Samsung customer care!! or even the consumer court as a last resort.

you will have to raise your voice if you need things to be done!! Its just sad that dealers take people for a ride!!:mad:

today i called the dealer again and told him if he cannot replace tv till moday than i dont want but he said he have to order it from mumbai for new one and also said that ill get after diwali and one more thing even in warranty paper there is no his signature or stamp i dont know why he havent fill the paper...?

so do i called Samsung customer care and tell them what happened with me?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back