Clarification on HDCP 2.2

vichu31

Hi all,

My name is Viswanath, and I am new here.

I am in the mist of buying my first AV receiver, but i need a major clarification about HDCP 2.2.

This is my query, I have a 4k TV, which does not have HDCP 2.2 and I have a PS4 Slim, xbox one x, and a PC as my source for media and gaming.

So if i use an AVR which has HDCP 2.2 protection will I be able to get output (Picture) from these (PS4 Slim, xbox one x, and a PC) sources regardless of the output being 1080P or 4K from them?

Or to keep it simple, i just need 1080P for now, so can i get my tv to display when connecting from a HDCP 2.2 protected AVR ?

my buying decision is based on this, as i don't want a AVR if my TV isn't gonna support.

Please advise.

I am considering to buy any one of these avr's

Sony STR DN - 1080, Denon AVR-X 2400H or 1500H, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX102, Yamaha RX-V 585/685

Regards
Viswanath U

Whats the TV make & model ? If you dont want to watch 4K content from streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime, yo ushouldn't be worried about HDCP 2.2

I am not sure of the model number right now. But sure about the tv not having HDCP 2.2

And yes am absolutely sure I didn’t need 4K for now. I will build the home theatre first and get a better tv later

This is my query, I have a 4k TV, which does not have HDCP 2.2 and I have a PS4 Slim, xbox one x, and a PC as my source for media and gaming.

To my knowledge all 4k TV must have hdcp 2.2 versions,or else there is no point in buying a 4k tv without it??? kindly send rear pic of the tv.

So if i use an AVR which has HDCP 2.2 protection will I be able to get output (Picture) from these (PS4 Slim, xbox one x, and a PC) sources regardless of the output being 1080P or 4K from them?

HDCP 2.2 is only meant for 4k content transmission it is designed specifically to prevent illegal copying of 4K Ultra HD content.You can buy an AVR with HDCP 2.2 for future 4k viewing,and yes you will get output video of standard 1080p resolution only on your 4K TV by connecting PS4,xbox,pc etc) but not 4K UHD.

In order to get 4K video your entire chain of connection must be HDCP 2.2, also remember that HDMI 2.0 is backward-compatible with previous HDMI versions, while HDCP 2.2 is not backward-compatible when it comes to 4K video.

And thank you @Arjun4 and @rajesh srinivas , for clarifying on my doubt.

I will now proceed with my avr purchase.

But if you guys don’t mind may I ask your opinion on the avr from the list ?

I know sound is subjective but until now I only audition Onkyo. And I kind of liked it.

But I main lean towards punchy bass and clear dialogue.

My friend suggested to go for either Yamaha or Denon.
And I am okay but either one of the brand, but then I saw the Sony STR DN 1080, and Pioneer VSX 1131, and Lx 102.

Now I am confused

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I will be starting my audition for this weekend and I wanted to get the avr as soon as possible so that I can then go on about the speakers

Please share your thoughts about this

Denon is too good for punchy bass and clear dialogue i mean for movie watching,go for dolby atmos with (4 ch) overhead spk output for future upgrade if your budget permits.

Back