Cmoy HeadPhone Amp

kaushik

Just built CMoY Headphone Amp.
phpe6ahgapm.jpg

I have used a pair of AD845KN single op-amps ,as i found good reviews about it...tested and ..wow actually it sounds good.:p

Went with sijosae discrete rail splitter for the dual supply , it works well .Makes +- 4.5v from 9v. AD845 Op amps need a little more to operate well.So i will do 9v + 3.6v(slim battery) in series..both rechargeable.

Need to fit in cabinet.

All resistors are 1% metal film , input caps .1uf100v multilayer by Vishay..

Last edited:
Kaushik, way to go! Will it have a charger circuit for the battery as well as holder? Or you planning to remove battery and charge?

cabinet i am building .it will have embedded 4 pins,two for 9v and two for the 3.6v and will use an external charging dock that will have charger circuit(hehe charger circuit are v simple ) ,i have a 12v tiny smps i will convert it to charge dock.
No need to remove battery.

I am myself planning to buy cmoy amp. Someday, hopefully, will be able to build it myself :p

cmoy is very simple to build..see this blog that gives full details DIY Simple Headphone Amp Tutorial: Cmoy Amplifier

Slide6.gif

Slide12.JPG

Virtual+Gnd.jpg

only thing is my cmoy has a different railsplitter ckt.

fitting in nice cabinet is tricky.If you still find difficult ..
still simpler way is to use cmoy pcb ...http://www.jdslabs.com/cMoyBB202PCBG.php
or order full kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-Capacitor-...ctronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb0a8ee9b

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info. I have never touched a soldering iron in my life, so might be a bit difficult. Would try it once for sure. :)

As George said , this tiny job can be outsourced .... chaps will do it for as low as 100 bucks..visually check connections..
and put a 10Rs opamp (MC1458/LM747) onto the socket for testing if all goes well then plug in the Audio grade op-amp like OPA2227.

Most people may not find audio opamps like OPA2227 locally ..
A group buy (;)) can be a possible solution ..Futurelac has these at 4.8$ upto 7 pieces shipping is 5$ .So total 7 opamps if ordered works at 250Rs per chip.
Enter part no in the link here :Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore

Ok, I will try it then. Now that you guys are the culprits, I demand all of you SHOULD support me in this. :D
And I am in for OPA2227 if there's a GO for this. Who else is interested? Or perhaps Amarbir might be of some help here. He seems to be a lot interested in DIY stuff.

@kaushik,well done :clapping:!!!!the cmoy is suposed to be a very well regarded,and simple application for a great headphone amp.great job.cheers

thanks rallynut and all,

Done a little bit of case work..i am using pcbmounting stereo sockets .They give a better look than those with screw. fitting was challenge as my cabbie is small 2.5' x 2.5'.

A preview
dsc01155u.jpg

@haraakir ,if u cant get OPA2227 in GO, we will get TLE 2142 opamp via farnell just Rs168 .It is faster than opa2227
and recommended by headfi guys.Best thing is it works in just +-2V.it will give long time enjoyment ..till your 9v rechargeable battery loses 70% charge.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back