Coin over the tonearm head shell

ukjeyaraj

Recently I noticed increase in crackling noise while playing the TT. Cleaned the stylus and LPs, but it did not help much.

However, If I keep a small weight over the tonearm, it sounds smooth. Like while playing the TT, if I press the head shell with finger applying very very little force, then the noise reduces almost to nil. Also If I keep a 50ps coin on the head shell, there is no or very very less noise.

Pliz help to fix the problem in the right manner.

Tried adjusting tone arm weight. Could not get much difference in result, rather it resulted in needle touching the LP while auto stop and tonearm get back action. So changed the setting back to its original state.

In that case, maybe something to do with the alignment of the cartridge/ cartridge head.
Experts in this forum can help.

Tried adjusting tone arm weight. Could not get much difference in result, rather it resulted in needle touching the LP while auto stop and tonearm get back action. So changed the setting back to its original state.

Hi,
Could you tell us about your TT and cartridge.This could be a problem associated with tonearm resonance,or your tonearm or headshell leads/tags are at fault.

Regards,
Sachin

Recently I noticed increase in crackling noise while playing the TT. Cleaned the stylus and LPs, but it did not help much.

However, If I keep a small weight over the tonearm, it sounds smooth. Like while playing the TT, if I press the head shell with finger applying very very little force, then the noise reduces almost to nil. Also If I keep a 50ps coin on the head shell, there is no or very very less noise.

Pliz help to fix the problem in the right manner.

You said you cleaned the stylus and LP, I may be wrong but I dont see any other factors contributing to crackling noise. Try different LPs. Increasing weight to reduce noise is not proper way, will damage records in the long run. Please use only recommended weight and tracking force.

Kenwood KD-41R. Here is a link http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/7595-buying-tt-need-tips-5.html.

I would like to add here, that the noise is not unbearable. However it is noticeably reducing when some weight/pressure is given on the head shell.

You can wrap some plumber tape on your tonearm or near headshell.This should cure your problem.You can try wrapping some electrical tape too.
Edit: Don't forget to reset your tracking force after wrapping.
Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Phew.. Got it solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@Hiten. I was not playing with coin continuously, just tested with coin.

Now the problem was, Head shell was not fixed completely into the tone arm. There was some dust resisting it.

Removed head shell from the tone arm, cleaned and re-fixed. Now TT sounds sweet, with no noise and no coin.

Thanks once again for all the suggestion and advice.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back