Come on chennai!

to put in my two pence...
i think it would be a bit unfair to compare the IPL with the EPL..the latter has been around for quite sometime now, is played throughout the year and has to do with a game that is more inclusive than cricket (football is a game which one enjoys instinctively and intuitively as compared to the more cerebral cricket).....IPL still has some way to go before the teams can even garner the loyalty and passion of say the Mohun Bagan or the East Bengal fans of Calcutta..

Well Bala.... I don't think any thing is going to change in the IPL.The people are going to cheer for the team from their states irrespective of the players in the team. When Rajasthan Royals won the first edition it was led by an aussie.Do you think the people of Rajasthan wouldn't have enjoyed that success simply because there was not much 'Rajasthani' about the team?? In EPL people are cheering a corporate entity? I think they cheer for a team and their heros who are in the team.Let us agree to disagree on this theory of a team has to be all Tamil for us to cheer it.For me CSK represents Chennai in the IPL and its enough
for me to cheer for it.

cheers
sri

Sri - this is exactly what the corporates in charge of IPL want people to believe. So, I guess that is round one for them.

I see nothing Rajasthani with the Rajasthan Royals team just as I see nothing Tamil about the Chennai Super Kings team.

to put in my two pence...
i think it would be a bit unfair to compare the IPL with the EPL..the latter has been around for quite sometime now, is played throughout the year and has to do with a game that is more inclusive than cricket (football is a game which one enjoys instinctively and intuitively as compared to the more cerebral cricket).....IPL still has some way to go before the teams can even garner the loyalty and passion of say the Mohun Bagan or the East Bengal fans of Calcutta..

Let me further simplify that. There is no comparison between the two.

The next auction that is going to take place is only going to strengthen the corporate identity rather than regionally biasing teams. Lets see.

Hi

I beg to differ on the above opinion because the whole cricketing world knows that the best knowledgeable cricket crowd is from chennai ......

Sorry brother - that is just opening many cans of worms. I have been to a lot of cricket matches and one dayers. My personal feeling is that the most knowledgable cricket crowd is at Eden Gardens.

Congrats CSK

Sorry brother - that is just opening many cans of worms. I have been to a lot of cricket matches and one dayers. My personal feeling is that the most knowledgable cricket crowd is at Eden Gardens.

Congrats CSK

Nope. I have known Eden Gardens booing even Sachin Tendulkar. Chennai never boos.

Talk about atmosphere - yes Eden is at a different level. But as far as a knowledgeable, decent and sporting cricket crowd is concerned, it has to be Chennai. Sporting, being the key word here.

Congratulations Chennai.

Definately the smarter play yesterday. Dhoni did well and Suresh Raina made us pay for our lapses in the field.

Sachin goofed up yest. Dont know if the pressure got to him as the knock was rather slow. Ok I understand a bit of caution to start with but the initial overs were played with tooo much respect for a 20 over game. Lasty the Batting order was perplexing. I am Ok with Harbhajans promotion but keeping Pollard that far back made the task impossible.

Now lets see how dirty is the linen and how many heads roll?

Rgds

Congrats CSK

Most enthusiastic maybe, most emotive maybe, MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE I dont agree.
Infact Calcutta crowds can be very unruly and apart from booing Sachin, there are many similar instances.
Frankly bbay crowds are terrible too. The language used is filthy and I remember one Gilchrist innings where he truly smashed the ball all round the park in a test match and when he completed his 100 there was hardly a cheer for ONE OF THE GREAT test knocks IMO on a turner. I dont think too many of our crowds can be 'sporting'
Rgds

Last edited:
Nope. I have known Eden Gardens booing even Sachin Tendulkar. Chennai never boos. .

Ask Anil Kumble after Sayed Anwar made 191 in Chennai .Even I have seen ManU supporters booing David Backham when he fought with Sir Alex in the dressing room even if he was still a Man U player then..... Cristiano Ronaldo was booed severly in his home soil when Portugal failed to Qualify for the Fifa world cup. So this is just passion and affection for the game.... kind of crazyness....... from where "Knowledge" has come into picture ??? Come'n man..... we are all Indians.......

Talk about atmosphere - yes Eden is at a different level. But as far as a knowledgeable, decent and sporting cricket crowd is concerned, it has to be Chennai. Sporting, being the key word here.

Do we really need such comparison here?? May take an unpleasent route .

Anyway ....Congrats CSK ..... My man is Ashwin for the entire tournament for CSK.... he is such a silent killer......

Nope. I have known Eden Gardens booing even Sachin Tendulkar. Chennai never boos.

Yes, absolutely!

I don't watch cricket that much but i still remember a match where Pakistan won against against India here in Chennai and the crowed applauded Pakistan players which clearly demonstrates the maturity and sport spirit of the Chennai crowd,they just admire sports personals irrespective of their nationality.

about super kings not being Tamil enough i agree with you to a certain extent, but along with the owners being Tamil we have:

Murali vijay--- tamil

Badrinath--- tamil

Ashwin -- tamil

Srikkanth Anirudha --- tamil

Muralidaran --- tamil

I am not saying it has enough Tamil for us to cheer with joy but it does have decent bit of Tamil in the team with Balagi also playing in a few games.Dhoni is a good cricketer and also looks kind of Tamil.:)

This is how most of the leagues are even in the other teams of IPL not enough of local talent is present. If u take the NBA or the base ball league in USA most of them are outsiders, but cant compare Tamil nadu with USA cause the latter some recently formed company country while Tamil nadu is Tamil's nadu for many thousands of years, so one would obviously expect more Tamil into anything which happens.

Anyways they have won this time and the team will change in next auction so lets see how this goes.

Congrats to CSK for their win!!

Last edited:
mumbai-indians-mumbai-ipl-season-2-team-wallpapers-1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats Chennai Super Kings.

Frankly bbay crowds are terrible too. The language used is filthy and I remember one Gilchrist innings where he truly smashed the ball all round the park in a test match and when he completed his 100 there was hardly a cheer for ONE OF THE GREAT test knocks IMO on a turner. I dont think too many of our crowds can be 'sporting'
Rgds

This is everywhere man.... go to any country in Europe and just watch people going to watch a soccer match and the language they are using on their opponent and to their own team if they lost. This is normal.... very normal...... what sporting... what friendly man....... Adam Gilchrist was just an opponent enemy that day and Mumbai crowed has just done the exact thing what they should do. People should go to some auditorium and listen to some management speech if they want to be decent and "knowledgeable" ...... in a stadium ... you have to be with your team . And in that respect Mumbai people are just rocking.........

Last night, my son had small show going on in his house in Dubai. He set up a large screen, a 5.1 system, invited over a few friends and they all sat to watch the finals.

A friend of his set the mood properly. An Australian herself, she had Aussies playing in many IPL teams. But she cheered for CSK, because that was my son's team with the express understanding that when it comes to World Cup, she will side with Australia.

There were a couple of Indians as well people from other countries who were neutral as they were neither from Mumbai nor from Chennai. So my son made them randomly choose between blue and yellow t-shirts. All of them had good fun screaming and cheering, booing, shouting and putting on a mock, 'ahhhhhh we lost', 'woooooowwwww we won' cries. At the end they continued what was more important - their friendship. I had a minute by minute SMS commentary of what was happening in Dubai.

That is the spirit I admire. I would have felt bad if Chennai had lost. At the same time I do feel bad that Sachin has lost.

Let the spirit of friendship prevail.

Cheers

Ask Anil Kumble after Sayed Anwar made 191 in Chennai .Even I have seen ManU supporters booing David Backham when he fought with Sir Alex in the dressing room even if he was still a Man U player then..... Cristiano Ronaldo was booed severly in his home soil when Portugal failed to Qualify for the Fifa world cup. So this is just passion and affection for the game.... kind of crazyness....... from where "Knowledge" has come into picture ??? Come'n man..... we are all Indians.......

Do we really need such comparison here?? May take an unpleasent route .

Anyway ....Congrats CSK ..... My man is Ashwin for the entire tournament for CSK.... he is such a silent killer......

Sanjub - from your spirited defense, am I right in believing that you are an impassioned Kolkata fan? Not of the franchise but of the city and its beautiful stadium perhaps.

If so you must know that my statement about Chennai being absolutely the most sporting and knowledgeable cricket crowd has nothing to do with me being stationed in this city :). As hard as that may be to believe.

The facts bear this out, sanjub. I think you will understand if you take a little bit of time.

Even on that day when Anwar thrashed our bowlers, none of our own was booed. It is a matter of great pride that Pakistani players have always been warmly welcomed and respected here at Chennai.

Unpleasant route? I dont get you.

Yes, absolutely!

about super kings not being Tamil enough i agree with you to a certain extent, but along with the owners being Tamil we have:

Murali vijay--- tamil

Badrinath--- tamil

Ashwin -- tamil

Srikkanth Anirudha --- tamil

Muralidaran --- tamil

I am not saying it has enough Tamil for us to cheer with joy but it does have decent bit of Tamil in the team with Balagi also playing in a few games.Dhoni is a good cricketer and also looks kind of Tamil.:)

The irony of the matter, rajapraveen is that Anirudha Srikkanth has played 3 matches (if I remember right) for the Chennai Super Kings :). Muralitharan being counted as Tamilian - well it depends on how you perceive. As far as I have seen Sri Lankan Tamils have a whole different identity. But he is Tamil after all. So, thats OK. Also Murali and Ashwin did not play all the matches for the team.

Long story short is that we take a look at the label and start cheering for the Chennai Super Kings. There could have been entirely different personnel with Sachin leading the CSK and the support would still have been there from Tamil Nadu. That alone is my point.

And with the next auction, I suspect the 'corporate-ness' of the even - to coin a word - is going to be even more apparent.

Sanjub - from your spirited defense, am I right in believing that you are an impassioned Kolkata fan? Not of the franchise but of the city and its beautiful stadium perhaps.

:lol: yess.... right you are.....and to make our feeling worse regarding sporting attitude, I am a regular stadium visitor for local East Bengal,Mohan Bagan soccer match where you may find the crowed just from some other planet or at least from some zoo. Come to Calcutta once and be my host for such a match. I will arrange a VIP seat for you.

If so you must know that my statement about Chennai being absolutely the most sporting and knowledgeable cricket crowd has nothing to do with me being stationed in this city :). As hard as that may be to believe.
The facts bear this out, sanjub. I think you will understand if you take a little bit of time.

I understand

Even on that day when Anwar thrashed our bowlers, none of our own was booed. It is a matter of great pride that Pakistani players have always been warmly welcomed and respected here at Chennai.

I completely agree.

Unpleasant route? I dont get you.

No no ... nothing foul ..... I just wanted to say that our discussion may end up with bad regional biasness......

"Hail" CSK ........... :clapping:

This is everywhere man.... go to any country in Europe and just watch people going to watch a soccer match and the language they are using on their opponent and to their own team if they lost. This is normal.... very normal...... what sporting... what friendly man....... Adam Gilchrist was just an opponent enemy that day and Mumbai crowed has just done the exact thing what they should do. People should go to some auditorium and listen to some management speech if they want to be decent and "knowledgeable" ...... in a stadium ... you have to be with your team . And in that respect Mumbai people are just rocking.........

Am talking about Cricket and the cricket crowds, football is very different as we all know.

I have been to over a dozen cricket matches in UK and 2 in Aus and let me assure u behaviour is a bit different. Firstly we are not confined to 'cages' like here in most of our country and am sure there is a valid reason for this!!!!!

I agree that Adam Gilchrist is an opponent so can we not appreciate /applaud the brilliance of an opponent ? See I love the game and loved his approach and if my team was at the receiving end SO BE IT.

The last part of your post about going to an auditorium or some management speech etc etc I would rather not comment on BUT FLINGING THINGS ON THE GROUND OR AT A PLAYER OR TRYING TO SET A STADIUM ON FIRE IS NOT MY IDEA OF 'BEING WITH MY TEAM'.

Rgds

Last edited:
BUT FLINGING THINGS ON THE GROUND OR AT A PLAYER OR TRYING TO SET A STADIUM ON FIRE IS NOT MY IDEA OF 'BEING WITH MY TEAM'.

Rgds

Please dont take it too seriously...... it was just a casual statement..... am sorry if that hurt you...... I was just trying to appreciate the great Mumbai crowed in my own style which might not be a very sophisticated one......
Sorry anyway.....

Please dont take it too seriously...... it was just a casual statement..... am sorry if that hurt you...... I was just trying to appreciate the great Mumbai crowed in my own style which might not be a very sophisticated one......
Sorry anyway.....

Buddy no problems at all. Am not hurt or upset. Relax.

Best Rgds

Congratulations CSK and Dhoni for the win.

If you watched yesterday's game minutely, you'd have noticed that MI were going great guns until the arrival of Dhoni to the crease. Dhoni did not make many runs yesterday, but he had his usuall air of calm arrogance about him. I think MI players went on the backfoot at the sight of Dhoni, and then people became indecisive. As a result - - those two dropped catches of Raina. A score of near 170 at the season's end with prospect of batting second. MI never came out of it.

The most crucial mistake of Sachin or the team management was to send Abhishek Nayar at no.3 when somebody like Saurabh Tewari was warming the bench till about the 15th over or so. Throughout the tournament Tewari came at no.3 or 4 and really batted well. He was at ease against everybody - pace, spin. He can keep the scoreboard ticking with well placed singles and can hit the long ball too, and yes aganst international class pace and spin bowling. I have my eyes on this boy since the under-19 world cup two years ago where Birat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja, Sreevats Goswami all played. He does not look to be a a technically good player with elbow up and such things, but this boy has the basics right, his head position and balance in attack and defence is very good and has every shot in the book. He needs to improve his fielding, and fitness though. I like to see him in the Indian team some day.

Why was Nayar at no3, only for the semi-final and the final? I'd never know. Even Viv Richards would not be able to score at 15 runs or more per over for 5 overs or more consistently against international class bowling. After 12 overs, the game was as good as dead. It really did not matter where Pollard came. It was an impossible task at that point.

I'd be hesitant to call cowd at a particular stadium the most knowledgeable. With respect to the Eden crowd, I can say the following: I have been a spectator at the Eden for as long as I can remember, since the sixties. The crowd is emotional, and at times explosive. However, the real trouble makers are a few people as always, and the whole crowd cannot be blamed for a few people. Of late, police do not let people in with absolutely anything, not even with bottled water. One has to buy water pouches and all food inside the stadium, and nothing that can be thrown are allowed.

Calcutta and West Bengal people in general are tremendously involved in all sports, not just cricket. There is an almost unbelievable level of awareness about sports in this region, even among women. I do not know about other cities, but the involvement of common man in ALL sports and their knowledge and concern is really commendable, and one of the things I like about this city. I can go anywhere in the city and start discussing a game of my choice with almost absolutely anybody. If you guys ever come to Calcutta, you would not miss this. I think your comments on the Eden crowds being not knowledgeable is a bit unfair. I was just on the call with my 76 year old elder sister, and she knows how seam bowlers grip the ball :).

Regards.

Thanks for the invite Sanjub. I am not that keen on football though for some strange reason :). But will certainly keep in mind.

Asit - it was never claimed that Kolkata was a less knowledgeable crowd. Just that out of the matches that I have witnessed I have found Chennai to be the crowd which is more sporting. In that it has been more dignified with respect to behaviour as well as treating opponents. Perhaps that has led to it being recognized as 'knowledgeable'. Who knows?

I know Saurabh Tiwari got the most talented Under-23 player award. In my mind the pity is that there really were not too many contenders for that spot. However the one guy I would like to see playing for the country soon would be Jaydev Unadkat the left arm seamer - over Tiwari. Yes his game is rough-hewn, not easy on the eye and all that. But I also feel that I cannot really make up my mind about a batsman just having seen him bat in India and that too in T20 matches. The bowlers on the other hand - especially a fast bowler - make a good case for themselves for the most part.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back