Come on chennai!

Yes, Unadkat is a good talent. However, he has to improve his follow through tremendously. He was getting warned consistently for running on to the pitch in all the 3 games he played for KKR. I know during the season, one cannot correct these things, and hence I like to see him next season (not just T20 games) how he utilizes the off-season and comes back.

Running on to the pitch during follow through is a serious fault, not just because you damage the pitch and can be banned from bowling any more in an innings, but because it shows the action is not complete. If the action is complete, the bowler automatically moves away from the pitch area, both for spin and pace bowlers. The great West Indian fast bowlers, all of them - Roberts, Holding, Marshall, before that Hall etc - Ambrose and Walsh - all had the classic action with a classical follow through. Without a perfect follow through, the action is not complete and the bowler would suffer in many ways, one of them being pace. Also watch Bedi and Warne for perfect follow through of spinners.

But I agree, Unadkat has shown promise. He has to believe in himself and work hard. One of the great strengths of Saurav Ganguly is to spot a talent when he sees one (Zaheer, Bhajji, Yuvi, Sehwag etc). Since he spotted this boy without almost any record, and Akram also thinks the same way, Unadkat can only look forward> hopefully he would keep his head at the proper place.

Saurabh Tewari has one of the worst stances I have ever seen in a batsman. But this guy can play. Watch him whenever you can. I have watched him more than just in T20 games, and here is a talent that needs to be encouraged too.

Regards.

The one thing that I could not believe was Modi using the podium to launch his defense!!! There could not have been a lower low in terms of tactics or ethics.

The success or lack thereof of the league does not in any way speak about the means used to achieve it. Does the man not understand that much? He is playing his cards in a wily way but I think his pandering to the public in itself might have greater repercussions. Lets wait and watch.

His antics are uncannily similar to a certain somebody peddling his wares here.

Do we really need such comparison here?? May take an unpleasent route

+1 to that.

Hmm...that is a good point about Unadkat's action. I also believe that he is a growing boy and that he would be able to add a few yards to his pace and to his general muscle mass. He must also guard against going the Irfan Pathan way. Mastering the slower delivery at a young age should not necessarily mean that your game revolves around that delivery!!

I have not seen Tiwari except in the IPL. And will certainly look at him closely whenever opportunity presents itself.

hehe i knew this discussion was heading to a chepauk v. eden gardens discussion :)

I hereby appoint myself final arbiter beyond appeal and declare judgment as follows:

For sheer atmosphere and passion Eden Gardens would have to take the cake. For cricketing tradition and knowledge, i'd say about even. For being an honourable and sporting crowd Chepauk (contrast the 1996 world cup semifinal and that other match played without spectators....and the standing ovation for pakistan at chepauk).

I am not biased, i am only a nominal chennai-ite, I am from Kerala. I am a Sourav Ganguly fan. (Just setting out my neutrality credentials). I love Eden Garden, I love Chepauk, but the above are the facts :D No appeal!

Yes, Unadkat is a good talent. However, he has to improve his follow through tremendously. He was getting warned consistently for running on to the pitch in all the 3 games he played for KKR. I know during the season, one cannot correct these things, and hence I like to see him next season (not just T20 games) how he utilizes the off-season and comes back.

Running on to the pitch during follow through is a serious fault, not just because you damage the pitch and can be banned from bowling any more in an innings, but because it shows the action is not complete. If the action is complete, the bowler automatically moves away from the pitch area, both for spin and pace bowlers. The great West Indian fast bowlers, all of them - Roberts, Holding, Marshall, before that Hall etc - Ambrose and Walsh - all had the classic action with a classical follow through. Without a perfect follow through, the action is not complete and the bowler would suffer in many ways, one of them being pace. Also watch Bedi and Warne for perfect follow through of spinners.Regards.

Thats the "knowledge" from an Eden Garden old timer ...... hehehehehe....... :clapping: ......

hehe i knew this discussion was heading to a chepauk v. eden gardens discussion :)

your

I hereby appoint myself final arbiter beyond appeal and declare judgment as follows:

For sheer atmosphere and passion Eden Gardens would have to take the cake. For cricketing tradition and knowledge, i'd say about even. For being an honourable and sporting crowd Chepauk (contrast the 1996 world cup semifinal and that other match played without spectators....and the standing ovation for pakistan at chepauk).

I am not biased, i am only a nominal chennai-ite, I am from Kerala. I am a Sourav Ganguly fan. (Just setting out my neutrality credentials). I love Eden Garden, I love Chepauk, but the above are the facts :D No appeal!

your judgement is clouded by the fact the fact that you seem to be so passionate about this game..which to me at least seems so intriguing (meaning was there any cricket before 20-20 and more importantly IPL?? ) ..:D

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I agree with Bala that the Chennai crowds are very(note the fact i am not saying 'the most') knowledgeable.Forget this cauldron called IPL matches.When a Test Match happens next time at Chepauk watch how the crowd appreciates a stylish shot,a great catch,a flat and accurate throw to the keeper, a great fielding effort,or a century,You can see it happen even if all these things are coming from the opposing team members and it is spontaneous too.The Pakistan team that won here was given a standing ovation when they took their victory lap. Not less than Javed Miandad who loves to hate India was forced to say 'Salaam Chennai!'

Even as i was rejoicing the CSK victory yesterday night, my heart went out to Sachin who too thoroughly deserved to lift th cup.It was brave of him to play the final.Well thats the way it goes.:)

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Masala Matches Over.... guess many people will suffer from 'IPL withdrawal symptoms' :D
Now over to modi vs bcci ding dong slug fest!!!:eek:hyeah::rolleyes::p

Although identifying with a team presents scope for greater involvement, IPL presents a great opportunity to enjoy cricket as just a game, breaking the shackles of narrow parochialism. I always envy the way the english/ aussie crowd applaud good shot by Sachin or say Lara and wonder why we dont do that often. Even the Chennai crowds dont do that lately and fall silent if an opponent makes some great shots. I personally would prefer a nail biting CSK loss due to a great spell by Harbhajan or great knock by Sachin, rather than a one sided victory.

May be , we should stop saying cricket is a religion and take it as just a sport to get max joy out of it.

cooltoad - I dont understand why you would need to envy the English or the Aussies. The Aussies dont deserve your envy. One good listen to their Channel 9 commentary team would set you right in this matter :). Partisan and parochial are words that dont begin to describe their commentary. Or for that matter the crowd over there.

I have always believed that if we really love the game, we can derive as much love out of a magnificent Lara knock as a Sachin special. I have never seen the point of switching off the TV set when Sachin is out or to remain silent or not applaud an opponent's brilliance.

i just envy the atmosphere these spectators in SA, or Eng enjoy . May be that is why they are able to enjoy the opponent's game also (ii agree with your point on aussies , it should be SA instead). Watch any clipping from the 70s/80s and you'll agree. compare that to the situation here, where we cant even carry water bottles, let alone have a beer.And i dont remember any match in these countries where galleries are burnt or held in empty stadium when their team loses.
(No "they are whites, hence superior" complex here, just stating the facts)

I dont enjoy going to the stadium where we are treated like animals I just meant to say the relaxed manner in which these people are able to enjoy the game. I know it is not possible here for various reasons and the security situation doesn't help either.

cooltoad - I dont understand why you would need to envy the English or the Aussies. The Aussies dont deserve your envy. One good listen to their Channel 9 commentary team would set you right in this matter :). Partisan and parochial are words that dont begin to describe their commentary. Or for that matter the crowd over there.

I have always believed that if we really love the game, we can derive as much love out of a magnificent Lara knock as a Sachin special. I have never seen the point of switching off the TV set when Sachin is out or to remain silent or not applaud an opponent's brilliance.

Hi,

Most disappointed with the Mumbai Crowd.They left the stadium in the final over.The award ceremony was done in an empty stadium.Had the final happened in Chennai and had Mumbai won, you could have seen most of the Chennai crowd remaining in the stadium and cheering Tendulkar receiving the trophy.I have lots of admiration for the resilience of the Mumbaikars.But guys come on show some sportiness too.

Regards,
ash

The match was already delayed and may be mumbaikars had to commute a long way back home was the reason for their leaving. It is a different matter altogether that they would have stayed to watch Bipasha had the closing ceremony been held after the match .( I doubt if chennai would have been any different on this) I think the scheduling was bad.The players also coudn't have enough nets becasue of this. Non-cricketing factors (like compulsory after night partying for players) taking precedence over cricket was the biggest minus point of Modi functioning.

Hi,

Most disappointed with the Mumbai Crowd.They left the stadium in the final over.The award ceremony was done in an empty stadium.Had the final happened in Chennai and had Mumbai won, you could have seen most of the Chennai crowd remaining in the stadium and cheering Tendulkar receiving the trophy.I have lots of admiration for the resilience of the Mumbaikars.But guys come on show some sportiness too.

Regards,
ash

Nope. I have known Eden Gardens booing even Sachin Tendulkar. Chennai never boos.

Talk about atmosphere - yes Eden is at a different level. But as far as a knowledgeable, decent and sporting cricket crowd is concerned, it has to be Chennai. Sporting, being the key word here.

The case made was of knowledgable crowd and for that its still Eden Gardens. Sporting, no definitley not. Bangalore and Chennai are best.

And i dont remember any match in these countries where galleries are burnt or held in empty stadium when their team loses.
(No "they are whites, hence superior" complex here, just stating the facts)

Haven't you heard or read about the clashes that erupt between fans in football matches held in England or Germany?
What football is to those countries Cricket is to India.
Cricket kindles the same amount of passion in India like how football does in these countries.

The case made was of knowledgable crowd and for that its still Eden Gardens. Sporting, no definitley not. Bangalore and Chennai are best.

Nope. The case made was about the crowd being sporting more than knowledgeable. I guess we agree on that subject.

Actually earlier Bbay was supposed to be a very sporting crowd and there are old timers who always have some lovely stories.
Today with the ticket prices, the endless wait in the serpentine queue, the over flowing urinals, the sometimes unruly crowd I dont know if the guy who truly loves and understands this game ends up at the stadium. Ironically apart from bbay I have been to no other stadiums in India so I cant really comment on the level of spectator comfort.
But no excuses we are not a sporting crowd.

Why will the MCA really look at spectator comfort? Whatever one has to endure I always see packed stands when India plays. Lets hope the revamped Wankhede will be a better place to watch cricket in.
Rgds

Last edited:
It is cross country spectatorship that leads to violence and football has never been called a gentleman's game. They even consider banning liquor during football matches. Same may not be necessary with cricket or tennis over there.
Sad to see cricket becoming ungentlemanly too and we cant justify such behaviour drawing parallel to football. If soccer is a religion in europe that doesn't mean we have to create a religion out of cricket.

I'd rather watch the match from home than from the stadium where the safety depends on whether or not the home team wins or loses.

Haven't you heard or read about the clashes that erupt between fans in football matches held in England or Germany?
What football is to those countries Cricket is to India.
Cricket kindles the same amount of passion in India like how football does in these countries.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back