Compatible Speakers for Marantz PM7000N

Are the Evo 4.2s fussy about positioning? I think the Quad S2s are really not as they have a small port.
All speakers are fussy about positioning to get the best sound out of them. Of course, some are more than others. The Quads are indeed not as demanding as the Evo 4.2s which require a bit more care, including on the height of the tweeter and mid driver relative to the ear.

I have a silly question, @DB1989 or someone can answer it.

Why would one go for 7000N vs something like 8006 or 6007? forget the network streaming part.
Many FMs are more than happy with the Wiim Mini which costs peanuts.
I would imagine a one box solution over separates.

When was the last time you remember someone employing separates not fretting over cables, even those for carrying digital signals at that? 😋

Hi Capt,
In my opinion, please carry your amp to demo the speakers that are in your budget. There are many options for price appropriate speaker (kef q 350, q acoustic Concept 30 or 3030, Indiq Mishra and many more). Do give yourself the time to listen to as many as possible while taking notes and marking pros and cons. Try and avoid big ticket spending on speakers initially, till you learn what signature you like.
Enjoy the journey and welcome to madness !
Regards Lokesh

16 x 20 feet
I am using PM7000N with Elac b6.2. It sounds fantastic. Very clear, transparent and non- fatiguing.

If you really want something more high end, you can also consider Quad S2 (for a laid back listen) and B&W 606 (for a more exciting listen). If you have bigger room you can go with evo4.2 as they are bigger.
What is your room size?
16 x 20 feet

Time
Hi Capt,
In my opinion, please carry your amp to demo the speakers that are in your budget. There are many options for price appropriate speaker (kef q 350, q acoustic Concept 30 or 3030, Indiq Mishra and many more). Do give yourself the time to listen to as many as possible while taking notes and marking pros and cons. Try and avoid big ticket spending on speakers initially, till you learn what signature you like.

Hi Capt,
Regards Lokesh
Filtering through many other forums, I just came accross an Indian manufacturer of sterio amplifiers "NORGE". Someone suggested to go with a Norge 2060 + Elac Debut 5 / Dali Oberon 5 combo.
In search for the best bang in my allocated budget, the more I dig...the more I want.

Time

Filtering through many other forums, I just came accross an Indian manufacturer of sterio amplifiers "NORGE". Someone suggested to go with a Norge 2060 + Elac Debut 5 / Dali Oberon 5 combo.
In search for the best bang in my allocated budget, the more I dig...the more I want.
And Lyrita, acoustic portrait - They manufacture amp (Tube amps in case Lyrita - Mr Viren Bakshi is a fantastic builder) and matching speakers. Lyrita is Delhi based while AP is Bangalore based.
Indian manufacturers make great and reliable equipment, and the aspect of any repair is fully covered.
Anode Acoustic is another manufacturer based out of Delhi and they make great headphone amp and Tube/SS amps and Pre.
Torvin is another manufacturer based out of Chennai and they make great amps and speakers.
There would be many more that I am not aware off.
There are also master builders on this forum, whose amplifiers and speakers can give any established foreign brand, a run for their money.

Pleasant search !!
Regards
Lokesh

How would you describe it's sound?
I might have described them before on a thread that you have been on but I don't mind saying it all over again.

The Quads are not laid back speakers.

I am currently listening to them connected to my computer playing Tidal via Roon USB out to the Zen Dac to the Crown xls 2502.

I have placed them quite close to the rear wall, maybe a foot away. Even before one starts to notice the treble, what catches ones attention is the bass that these small drivers put out.

I have connected my 15 inch sub driven again by my other crown xls 2502 bridged and believe me, the Quads sound better without the sub even with the sub playing frequencies below 40 hz.

What do the Quads sound like ? On some well recorded tracks, they sound absolutely wonderful. On some other tracks, I find myself reaching for the volume to lower it.

Pair them carefully, give it a good source, they are a pleasure to listen to.

Last edited:
If you are looking at bookshelves, then conside the Dali Oberon 1
Argho, is there any specific reason for prescribing Oberon 1 over Oberon 3 - which has

7" woofer, sensitivity: 87 dB, frequency response: 47-26,000 Hz (±3dB), around 65,000/- compared to Oberon 1 -

5-1/4" woofer, sensitivity: 86 dB, frequency response: 51-26,000 Hz (±3dB) around 45,000/-

Argho, is there any specific reason for prescribing Oberon 1 over Oberon 3 - which has

7" woofer, sensitivity: 87 dB, frequency response: 47-26,000 Hz (±3dB), around 65,000/- compared to Oberon 1 -

5-1/4" woofer, sensitivity: 86 dB, frequency response: 51-26,000 Hz (±3dB) around 45,000/-

I have the Oberon 1s and can fully reccomend them. I have never heard the Oberon 3s.

My personal view - not every speaker in a range shines, and they do not necessarily scale up with specs and price. In the Oberon range the Oberon 5s and the Oberon 1s seem to be the standout performers.

However this is just an impression I have picked up, based on reviews, and discussions in this forum.

Best to audition them both side by side, if possible.

I might have described them before on a thread that you have been on but I don't mind saying it all over again.

The Quads are not laid back speakers.

I am currently listening to them connected to my computer playing Tidal via Roon USB out to the Zen Dac to the Crown xls 2502.

I have placed them quite close to the rear wall, maybe a foot away. Even before one starts to notice the treble, what catches ones attention is the bass that these small drivers put out.

I have connected my 15 inch sub driven again by my other crown xls 2502 bridged and believe me, the Quads sound better without the sub even with the sub playing frequencies below 40 hz.

What do the Quads sound like ? On some well recorded tracks, they sound absolutely wonderful. On some other tracks, I find myself reaching for the volume to lower it.

Pair them carefully, give it a good source, they are a pleasure to listen to.
I don't think you have really described the sound of Quad S2s here. Are they bright or neutral or warm? How natural the instruments and vocals sound? Are the fatiguing over long sessions? And what about imaging and soundstage? And finally what amplifier are you driving it with?

I don't think you have really described the sound of Quad S2s here. Are they bright or neutral or warm? How natural the instruments and vocals sound? Are the fatiguing over long sessions? And what about imaging and soundstage? And finally what amplifier are you driving it with?
Post in thread 'Best wireless stereo setup in 2 lacs budget'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/best-wireless-stereo-setup-in-2-lacs-budget.91227/post-1021035

Its easy to get lost in the rhetoric of YT and magazine reviews despite being an inalienable part of this hobby.

The ability to read between lines and correlate holds one in good stead

It's too easy to get caught in that rabbithole of chasing vanishingly minor differences in sound quality.

A few things worth keeping in mind:

- You arent going to crack the nut and find a special combination that is orders of magnitude bettter than anything else, at a given price range. Simple market dynamics mean that once you get to the reliable brands above a certain price point, there are very few dogs. There certainly are differences in sound palette and a couple of auditions will give you a good idea of those differences.

- If you find the sound that you like, you have two choices at that point: run around paralyzed by analysis, trying to optimize your purchase to the n-th degree (which is a never ending quest: you will never audition EVERYTHING). Or just buy what you like and enjoy your music.

- At some point, when it becomes very hard to tell the difference, that is because that difference is not worth obsessing over.

TL;DR - forget chasing "the best". While the audio world has some lovely people that I have met (both here and in other forums elsewhere in the world), the chase for perfection has also created some of the most miserable sourpusses I have has the misfortune of encountering, whose sole purpose in life seems to be to engage in repetitive online arguments trying to establish some sort of primacy in a hobby which is ultimately all about enjoying music.

If *you* like it, buy it and enjoy TF out of it. There is no "BEST" out there.

Ok, let me try once again but this time you will have to read my post please.

1. Are they bright or neutral or warm.

I would for the most part say that they are neutral speakers.

2. How natural the instruments and vocals sound?

As natural as they can sound at this price point. When I say natural, taking into consideration all the electronics and processing that the voices and instruments go through before getting recorded into a storage media.

3. Are the fatiguing over long sessions?

On good recordings, I don't find them fatiguing but my audiophile friend will most definitely find it fatiguing. So, depends. A Sax is a wonderful instrument but will tax the ears and if played live in my living room for extended periods, I would probably be running for the door too.

4. And what about imaging and soundstage?

Good enough when properly placed. In my setup and in my room, I have no soundstage to speak of due to placement.

5. And finally what amplifier are you driving it with?

I am currently driving it with the Crown XLS 2502.

Last edited:
I had the 6006 paired with Elac b6.2 and I recently upgraded to 7000N. Apart from the network streaming capabilities there is a significant jump in the overall sound quality. The music sounds clearer, more pleasing, soft and is non-fatiguing. The instruments are more realistic.

From what I have read 8006 has about the same sound quality as 7000n. It also costs the same. It is a trade off between more watts, more analog inputs and streaming capabilities.
I got the PM8006 recently.

I was under the impression that it has better sound than PM7000N

Web was scarce on comparisons between the two.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back