Confused about buying a tab

rahulsnh

I fancy tablet as a device on which I can mostly read and peripherally carry out supplemental activities like cross-referring something on net thus necessitating Wi-Fi and GPRS capabilities. Last night, I visited a showroom and the salesman furthered my confusion with myriad choices ranging from different sizes of galaxy tab to Ipad. I feel that benefit of hindsight, even if vicarious, can liberate me of this confusion.

I'm sure many of those who possess tabs have these questions answered by now:
1. Is 0.3L INR for such a device make sense given that reading is my core purpose?
2. Among screen size varying from 7 inch to 10 inch which one you should have bought?
3. Did you continue to use you tablets after say 2 months of purchase? For instance, if I bought a fancy laptop today, I would still return to my PC which has a big display, is more ergonomic and since portability of laptop is comes with numerous limits!
4. Any other feedback that you would like to give?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments!

natural to have such a dilemma when so many options are available in the market today..

i do have an HP (ya discontinued HP :)) tab and believe me, since then i have not touched my laptop. In my experience, Tabs are very handy, very flexible for browsing web or watching short movies..you can carry them anywhere in your home and typical battery will last for at least 3-4 hours of continuous browsing.

in my opinion, 10" is best suited for reading, browsing or watching movies and is portable for you carry around as well.

i think 30K is a wise investment :yahoo:

cheers
vadiraj

it all depends whats your need. If you are a person who travels a lot and has to keep checking emails, browse the net, play some games in transit etc. then a tab IS really good. But if you regularly work on word, power point, some development software, high graphics programs then the tab would be a waste.

finally a tab has become more of a show off thing for lot of people and/or who want the latest available tech no matter what. I am among the ones who wants every new gadget as far as i can afford it. here we come to the affordability factor. I had a low budget so bought a samsung 7" wifi tab. but there are better ones out there of you have the moolah.! iPad 2 is what i found the best followed by the new Samsung 10 incher. 10" i suppose is the optimum size. its as big as a A4 sheet and big enough to clearly read email attachments and movies.

cheers

I would say for your needs (reading and cross-referring something on the net) a tab will be great. Will definitely beat a mobile.

Also, you should get a lot of good tabs for less than 30K. Check out the Motorola Xoom.

Since the core purpose is reading, I'd look at an e-book reader like the Kindle. It would cost much lesser and is a much better device to read on because it uses e-ink and not LCD.

It has an experimental browser but you could spend the rest of the money on a smartphone with which you can browse and do other things.

If not, iPad2 is the last word in tablets. It may not be the fanciest on paper (specs) but nothing comes close to the user-experience.

lets see why we need a tab
long battery life [laptop die in 1 hour if it is little say 1 .5 year old ] , portable , light and easy to carry for all simple tasks, and video playback

so we need
battery of 6000mAh+ is minimum ,capacitive screen ,1 gb ram,1GHz processor,preferably 9.7 incher, because carrying 7nch tab is nothing advantageous.. more over typing in 7 incher is real pain . HDMI etc
Looking Slim - is must

30k/24k/ for tab - NOOO..even if it is made by NASA
14K degraded /non android tab -- Noo

we are left with 2 choices :
MOTO xoom used in 15 k
Good chinese tab CUBE u9GT2/AInol tab [import]:my most preferred
tab i were to buy ..price 14- 16K

Note : dont search for SIM slot 3g as a must ,many time they charge 7-8k extra
,if u have android cell u can theter 3G/gprs via wifi

check video reviews these devices,they serve very well ..
if only reading is purpose max spend Ereader in 8k

Last edited:
I had similar requirements. The final four in my selection were.

1. ipad 2 16GB WiFi
2. Samsing Galaxy Tab 10.1
3. Asus Transformer
4. Motolora Xoom

Bought the iPad, though it is my first i device, because the 3:2 ratio is better for reading. Inspite of some weaknesses that you will find on the net the device is great especially the OS and battery life. I made a head to head comparison at a chroma outlet and felt the ipad felt better.

If you can put in a little more and wait for a month the iPad 3 is on its way in March 2012. With its retina display and quad core processing it will be a KILLER to all things pad!

@nindo, @vadiraj: yup, aspect of 10" is important
@kaushik: I do agree that pricing is still overboard inspite of competition
@Audiodoc: I think that I too should do some comparisons.
@Kittu: Prime is overpriced but older version transformer is available at 30K
@cha_indian: Well, a cheap one without support can be a titanic in just a couple of months.

Has anyone considered Galaxy Tab 620. If only there was one without 3G for even 4K less it would have made it a great choice! But again, 7.7 inch screen will be too small for reading comfort. No wonder I'm still confused :)

Given the number of fixes in Andorid 4.0, I'm leaning to wait. Ipad3 launch is in March too!

Thanks to all :)

Last edited:
I fancy tablet as a device on which I can mostly read and peripherally carry out supplemental activities like cross-referring something on net thus necessitating Wi-Fi and GPRS capabilities. Last night, I visited a showroom and the salesman furthered my confusion with myriad choices ranging from different sizes of galaxy tab to Ipad. I feel that benefit of hindsight, even if vicarious, can liberate me of this confusion.

1. Is 0.3L INR for such a device make sense given that reading is my core purpose?
2. Among screen size varying from 7 inch to 10 inch which one you should have bought?
3. Did you continue to use you tablets after say 2 months of purchase? For instance, if I bought a fancy laptop today, I would still return to my PC which has a big display, is more ergonomic and since portability of laptop is comes with numerous limits!

1. In my honest opinion, the tab is good for light work only. Even typing lengthy emails will be a bit cumbersome. Forget about working on documents with word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., except reading.

2. If you are on the move 3G is a must have.

3. You mentioned reading. If this means reading ebooks then Kindle is a better option.

4. If you decide to go for a tab then 10" is the way to go.

5. I personally prefer the galaxy tab because Android offers much more flexibility. For instance, Android supports most Av formats unlike apple os. Also it offers support for micro sd that iPad does not.

6. The tab cannot replace the laptop just as the laptop has not been able to phase out the desktop. At least not yet. The Tablet is a complementary device. Some people may have given up their laptops but then they must have been restricted to emails and browsing only.

7. In my opinion it is a waste of colossal amount of money for a device of limited functionality but the Tablet makes a huge impression and carries a WOW factor.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

@Kittu: good hardware but I'll not advise putting money on Web-OS. Having worked in HP and with all inputs that I get from friends there, I will advise to stay away from WebOS, if not HP. But the price point does prove a point that putting the hardware together is not that costly and with android coming for free, even samsung has obnoxious margins. It is matter of time that prices will come crashing. Till then probably I should concede.

@just4kix: Having possessed android phone for a about 2 yrs now, I find it hard to go iXXX way. I agree that they have better user experience but my upbringing has been "kitna deti hai" ;) Although reading, across various formats, is primary objective I would tend to pay a bit more and get more flexibility. USB tethering can save me of another SIM which makes sense given price diff of 5K+

If reading is the primary purpose then nothing beats Amazon Kindle Fire. Cheap and very effective...

If you want to do other things as well, then Samsung Galaxy and iPad are your best choices. As good as other options such as Asus or Acer or any other android based ones, they dont hold upto Kindle, iPad or Samsung.

re: screen size, Kindle and samsung have proven beyond doubt that < 10 inch is a desirable size. Rumour has it that iPad 3 is coming with a 7 inch version. So if you are very mobile and think 10 inch is too big then 7 inch is a great option.

Personally, I am not comfortable with closed architectures - so I would go for Samsung. My wife has an iPad and loves it because it provides a no hassle user experience and great integration with her iphone 4s.

I am a tweaker by nature and still use PC and laptops as I havent been able to justify a tablet for myself.

1. In my honest opinion, the tab is good for light work only. Even typing lengthy emails will be a bit cumbersome. Forget about working on documents with word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., except reading.

2. If you are on the move 3G is a must have.

3. You mentioned reading. If this means reading ebooks then Kindle is a better option.

4. If you decide to go for a tab then 10" is the way to go.

5. I personally prefer the galaxy tab because Android offers much more flexibility. For instance, Android supports most Av formats unlike apple os. Also it offers support for micro sd that iPad does not.

6. The tab cannot replace the laptop just as the laptop has not been able to phase out the desktop. At least not yet. The Tablet is a complementary device. Some people may have given up their laptops but then they must have been restricted to emails and browsing only.

7. In my opinion it is a waste of colossal amount of money for a device of limited functionality but the Tablet makes a huge impression and carries a WOW factor.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

You've put it perfectly.

I was in the market for a device (mostly for browsing) last August. Back then, I first planned to get a Nook Color and load CM7 on it (would have cost me about 13K). Then I decided to expand the budget to 25K and look for a proper Android tablet.

I wanted a Tablet because I was doing 100% of my browsing on my Desire HD from 8.00PM to 8.00AM, with about 1 hour of ebook reading in between. The browsing was getting to be a bit of a strain on my eyes. I was OK with a WiFi only Tab, as I had WiFi at home, and I could also use the WiFi hotspot on my Desire HD to get connected.

After an honest look at my usage pattern (I need to type quite a bit while making forum posts and what not), I decided that I'd get better bang out of the 25K if I spent it on a Laptop. I ended up getting a HP dm1 with 4GB RAM for just under 19K. I thought of using up the rest of the budget and getting an SSD for it, but I decided I'd rather save that money.

The only advantage I could see with a Tab was the instant-on advantage and the ease of use while lounging about. My Desire HD was comfortable enough for ebook reading (smaller, lighter, easy to use with one hand).

Now, almost 6 months into the dm1, I don't regret having gone the dm1 way at all.

Last edited:
About 3 weeks back, I finally bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy Tab 750, which was bought by the seller on 20/01/2012 for 35K from Univercell. He had other accessories with it totaling another 4K. I did a factory reset and since then I'm using without any problem.

He hand delivered and I paid 25K.

I read a lot of ebooks and after using various options, i feel most comfortable with kindle. For reading it's better than even ipad.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back