Confused and Perplexed : Mordaunt-Carnival 8/Polk Tsi 300/Wharfedale Valdus 400

rjstyles

Folks

With my half baked knowledge about HT's and the research done here on this very forum and other AV forums , I understand fact that its the speakers you need to decide on first. Hence here I am seeking assistance from you guys, as to what would be the best bang for the buck.

I have narrowed down on the following models of floor standers

Mordaunt-Carnival 8
Polk Tsi 300
Wharfedale Valdus 400
as a part of my HT upgrade.

Auditioned each one of them and I am really at the end of my wits languishing which of these would suffice for my requirements. My better half is a complete movie buff and me a music nut. My choice of music is mostly techno/trance and soft-rock., definitely cant compromise on the mids and lows. I know its quite tough to have the best of both worlds. However which of these have a good punch and still churns out some SQ when coupled with one of the below mentioned AVR's.

The AVR's I am looking at is the Onkyo TX-SR608/SR609 or the Denon 1611.

Thanks in advance :).

cheers
rj

Which one sounded the best when you auditioned them? What AVR did you audition them on?

I'd recomend preowned polk RTI series or KEF IQ 30 / 50 . Profx had some demo/display stocks . You should demo with Onkyo 608 or Denon 1911.. Both speakers are pretty decent for music and movies . Both pack a lot of punch..
Specially the KEF IQ 30/50 series are very crisp and detailed.

Wait, I didn't know we could make recommendations! I definitely vote for the KEF/Denon combo.

That was quick.

Which one sounded the best when you auditioned them? What AVR did you audition them on?

The Polk and Wharfedale with an Onkyo 608, mordaunt with a receiver from Pio(cant recall the model). BTW I got into this fiasco was only after hearing all of these, to me they all sounded good.

I'd recomend preowned polk RTI series or KEF IQ 30 / 50 . Profx had some demo/display stocks . You should demo with Onkyo 608 or Denon 1911.. Both speakers are pretty decent for music and movies . Both pack a lot of punch..
Specially the KEF IQ 30/50 series are very crisp and detailed.

Thanks man,am paying them a visit again this weekend. Aren't the KEF's expensive ? My budget is around 25k tops for the floor standers and I found the above models just perfect for my shoe string budget.

Last time I checked on phone they quoted me 27k . I am sure 25 k is a pretty decent budget for a pair of preowned floorstanding speakers. Go audition again. :)

Last time I checked on phone they quoted me 27k . I am sure 25 k is a pretty decent budget for a pair of preowned floorstanding speakers. Go audition again. :)

Et tu Brute :D, I came here to seek advice and you want me to go back where I started from.

Onkyo 608 with polk Audio TSi 400 SOunded great...in 2 CH stero.
As a 5.1 package Polk TSI 400 and Bose surrounds was Amazing. i do not remember the sub name though...

Finally done with the floor standers ..inshallah !! The last weekend was spent at Audio Planet with Palani listening to Mordaunts, Wharfedales and Monitor Audio.

I finally picked up the MA's after listening to various genre's of music. Personally I think its Indian music that helps you make the final call. After all the Pink Flyod , Armin Van Buren, Duck Sauce, David Guetta et all it all came down to listening to Omana Penne from vinaaithandi varuvaaya :D .

Palani was kind enough to let me listen to whatever genre's I had insisted on.Paid 26k for the M4's and heck it sounds good on my 4 yr old Onkyo HT-R430S AVR.

Also my kaiboer H1055 plus player arrived last evening. Need to hook it up today and see how it goes. The AVR is still pending , once I have my paycheck this month end will pick up one.Thanks again folks, will try and upload a picture or two over the weekend.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back