Connecting surround speakers in parallel to add 2 additional channels

k_vijay12

I have a Yamaha rx 471, a 5.1 AVR (85wpc 2 channel driven, 8 ohm)

I have spare speakers, is connecting 2 additional speakers in surrounds impact speakers or AVR ? speakers are Polk TL1600 8 ohm , rated at 100 wpc

The AVR can with stand 4ohm i guess, dynamic output at 4ohm for LR is mentioned in manual. Not sure if it applies to surrounds as well.

Please guide / advice if this is a good idea.

Enclosing the audio specs of AVR for reference. Thanks

AVR1.JPG

AVR2.JPG

Attachments

• AVR2.JPG
    AVR2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 3
The AVR can with stand 4ohm i guess, dynamic output at 4ohm for LR is mentioned in manual. Not sure if it applies to surrounds as well.
It will most likely damage the avr or trip the protection circuit. You are adding a nominal 4 ohm load (2x 8ohm loads in parallel) which can dip further down from time to time depending on the track being played. The dynamic 4 ohm capability in the manual is specifically for speakers with nominal impedance of 6 ohms and minimal impedance of 4 ohms.

I have a Yamaha rx 471, a 5.1 AVR (85wpc 2 channel driven, 8 ohm)

I have spare speakers, is connecting 2 additional speakers in surrounds impact speakers or AVR ? speakers are Polk TL1600 8 ohm , rated at 100 wpc

Please guide / advice if this is a good idea.

Enclosing the audio specs of AVR for reference. Thanks

View attachment 70876

View attachment 70878
Why would you want to double surround speakers in the first place? There is so little data in those channels that it would be double of nothing. If you want more sound during the occasional action shot then increase the volume of those channels. Even if you want to run 2 pairs of speakers of 8 ohms, running in parallel at meet 4 ohms is unsafe. Why don't you try running them in series. At 16 ohms the dips still will be in the safe zone.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back