Contact Cleaner Dillema

frend2001

Hi FMs

There's been a lot of discussion in the forum about various types of contact cleaners like :

Deoxite
WD 40
Zorrik 77 / 88
IPA - isopropyl alcohol.

I'm calling out to all audio enthusiasts and DIYer for pointers to a simple and commonly available contact cleaner as Deoxite and WD 40 are just not easily available in India and if ever they are, they come way too pricey.

Please share some details of type of contact cleaners you've used and Please put in suggestions for an easily available solution.

Thanks

From the listed items above only 'Deoxit' is contact cleaner which removes oxidation from the old switch contacts. Other are either lubricants or just cleaners.
WD 40 is available at hardware store for Rs 70/- for 32ml. I bought last week.

i got very good results from deoxit co contact cleaner.before getting deoxit i used WD40 for cleaning the scratchy volume pot on my amplifier and it done the job just fine.there is a big discussion on wd 40 use on volume pots,but in my case i am happy with the results.

WD 40 gives good results at first use in a pot after that it has to be used regularly and one fine day it has no positive effect and the pot is ruined as nothing else shall revive it. Speaking from personal experience.

Regards,

General speaking how to clean pot is mystery. But one can clean presets easily.
I used 2 layers - one photographic film and thin cloth, film protects carbon layer while wiper contact is rubbed against cloth with drop of DeOxit. I tried on Pot of old bush radio too but you may need to open pot. I did open the pot carefully and closed successfully. Don't clean carbon track, clean only metal contact of wiper.

Have anybody used Abro Contact cleaner as suggested by FM Greenhorn ?
This will not remove oxidation. Will dissolve grease, remove dirt etc.

I do this:
Spray WD-40.
Leave it on for 30 min
Remove the WD-40 with IPA [vodka works too :D]​

This has never failed me.

General speaking how to clean pot is mystery. But one can clean presets easily.
I used 2 layers - one photographic film and thin cloth, film protects carbon layer while wiper contact is rubbed against cloth with drop of DeOxit. I tried on Pot of old bush radio too but you may need to open pot. I did open the pot carefully and closed successfully. Don't clean carbon track, clean only metal contact of wiper.
Om, I put in WD-40 drops in the pot with a dropper. Rotate the shaft for some time. Leave in for some time. Then I put in IPA drops and rotate the shaft again. Then drop in many drops of IPA to flush out all WD-40.

Om, I put in WD-40 drops in the pot with a dropper. Rotate the shaft for some time. Leave in for some time. Then I put in IPA drops and rotate the shaft again. Then drop in many drops of IPA to flush out all WD-40.

Keith, I have belief that oxidation removal process dissolves carbon layer which ruins pot or presets permanently. I am okay with IPA but not with others, specially WD-40.

Last edited:
Keith, I have belief that oxidation removal process dissolves carbon layer which ruins pot or presents permanently.
Never happened to me with the WD-40 that I have. But that could be due to the fact that the can that I have is 18 years old and must have lost it's "power" or "potency" and I have been using this to clean pots only for the last 1 or 2 years. So you may very well be right.

I should preserve this "weak" WD-40 for pots and buy a new can for regular WD-40 usage :eek:hyeah:

At last I'm getting some great ideas and advices.

Thanks a lot dear FMs...

Keep them coming.

@Keith....I'd try vodka sometime soon....It has been helpful in cleaning some nurons so far :eek:hyeah:

Hi FMs

Any idea where I could source Deoxit in India.

I'm based at Indore and it's not available here.

Any help will be highly appreciated friends.

Can we use something like Brasso or Silvo to clean contacts?
Yes. I used metal polish cream to clean power supply metal terminals. I got that metal polish from Amazon India and applied over terminals using earbud. It smells like Brasso.

I also avoid WD-40 for switches or pots. IPA works fine - I use
an injection syringe to reach inside.

On an "un"related note, Brasso is good at removing small scratches
on plastic surfaces, like Turntable dust covers.

Brasso, Silvo, Metal polish cream et. al. take off a layer from the surface which is the same thing that WD-40 does. You can use ANYTHING provided, after you are done, you remove all traces and residue with IPA.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back