Good shops in ritchie street for audio spares

greenhorn

It's sad to find more and more electronics shops going the computer hardware way and less with traditional electronics stuff. I went to ritchie - have known it was a big electronics hub, but came back rather disappointed.

Went there with a shopping list of three things

1. Contact cleaner spray
All shops had only zorrik 88/WD40. All of them were sure there was nothing else. One shop offered me a plastic bottle of lubricating Oil
2. 8200 or 10,000uF 50V Snap In capacitors - Didnt find any shops with any good brands - only samwha - and I dont think they are that good
3. A head and belts for my sony cassette deck - Couldnt even find a shop which would possibly stock them.

I'm sure they're out there, would appreciate some pointers on where to find them.

1. Contact cleaner spray
All shops had only zorrik 88/WD40. All of them were sure there was nothing else. One shop offered me a plastic bottle of lubricating Oil
2. 8200 or 10,000uF 50V Snap In capacitors - Didnt find any shops with any good brands - only samwha - and I dont think they are that good
3. A head and belts for my sony cassette deck - Couldnt even find a shop which would possibly stock them.

1. There used to be a shop with a couple of ladies, next to the BPB bookshop, for Philips-branded electronics maintenance fluids, including switch-cleaning oil (not a spray). It is sorta OK for most switch contacts, but maybe not for potentiometers.

2. Matter of chance - check with Suraj Radio, Arunkumar, Madras Electronics, Swastik, Majestic. The default will be Samwha, as you noted, but there's a small chance that you'll get Panasonic, Nippon, Elna, etc.

3. You may get a belt kit, having about dozen different-sized belts for ~Rs.40. It won't be specific to Sony or any brand. Check with the 2nd/3rd shop between the mosque and intersection of Ritchie St. and the road next to India Silk House - he's the guy who sometimes stocks CD transports and the like (I forgot the name of the shop).

+1 to linuxguru,

Whenever you go to a place it is good to have a Plan B or even Plan C. I go even with a plan D.

Suggestion:-

You cannot expect a people in those shops are to be expert, There are few masters too.

Before going there check for a equivalent products, Specification and Google it.

for obsolete/hard to find semiconductors - what would be your picks? I stumbled into majestic yesterday, and at least they seemed to have a good selection of stuff, but directions to these other shops would be appreciated :)

You may get a belt kit, having about dozen different-sized belts for ~Rs.40.

Good that I found this post. I need belts for my Yamaha cassette deck. When I look up online, I see that I need to shell out ~2000 bucks to import them!

Anybody on the forum, in Bangalore/India, possess this kit or any info from where I can procure them ?

Thanks!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back