Converting an old laptop into an audio PC

soulforged

Hi,

I have a 4-yr old Dell laptop which I plan to upgrade soon. Was thinking if I could use it as an audio-PC after retirement. It is a C2D with 3GB RAM running Vista. What would I need to convert it into a reasonable audio-PC???

TIA

You can convert it into an audio PC.

Onboard soundcard will not be great and you cannot add a new one... so its better to go for an external USB soundcard.

Also, how much is the HDD space? If you plan to use lossless rips then at least 1 TB is good... so you might look into changing the internal HDD.

Thanks!

The internal HDD is not much, 320GB I think...but I have a few TBs in external drives, can plug those in. I can clean up the PC of all othe s/w and just keep music/foobar and hook up a USB soundcard. Do I need WASAPI or ASIO? Is it really required???

A related question - Can I use this setup for video calls/skype? The laptop has HDMI out, can I hook it up to my TV and use it?

320GB is limited (but depends on your music collection). External work but can also skip/loop so you will need to test it out.

I use my PC for music and everything else... I've never found s/w, updates, anti-virus, etc. interfering as such.

Foobar with WASAPI rocks (IMHO).

Skype/TV - Like I said I use my PC for everything and Skype is included in it. TV though I don't use but I don't see why you cannot.

Thanks!

The internal HDD is not much, 320GB I think...but I have a few TBs in external drives, can plug those in. I can clean up the PC of all othe s/w and just keep music/foobar and hook up a USB soundcard. Do I need WASAPI or ASIO? Is it really required???

A related question - Can I use this setup for video calls/skype? The laptop has HDMI out, can I hook it up to my TV and use it?

Hi,
Have you done with your setup? Me too planning for the same. Would like to see your setup and move forward on my plans. PM me your number (if you are ok!).

Yep, no PMs :) I too have a working laptop but the screen is dead and thinking of making it a music PC. I am watching this thread...

Hi,

I have a 4-yr old Dell laptop which I plan to upgrade soon. Was thinking if I could use it as an audio-PC after retirement. It is a C2D with 3GB RAM running Vista. What would I need to convert it into a reasonable audio-PC???

TIA

Me too..
I was just going to do a similar post when I saw this one.
I guess this should be a very common requirement these days.

Would be nice to have list of sorted by budget/performance.

Even I was thinking on these lines.... more like adding a dedicated sound card... then thought where will those additional ports fit on laptop casing? i think, the casing will constrain any major change...unless offcourse, you decide to keep it open from one side....or just use some of its component in a HTPC CPU...

Thanks!

you can hook up the laptop to your tv via HDMI and use skype or any other program from your laptop on your tv. Skype on a big screen looks great :). I have a HTPC and have a similar setup.

Hi,
Have you done with your setup? Me too planning for the same. Would like to see your setup and move forward on my plans. PM me your number (if you are ok!).

Not really done it yet. My old laptop has finally committed suicide by hanging itself from the hinge (stupid dell inspiron :mad:).

We can use it as a case for all. Does anybody have a USB DAC? We can try it out with my setup.

i have an old ibm thinkpad (last year of production before it became lenovo), which i am planning to turn into a music laptop.

btw any upgrades that can be done for the usb etc? sorry if it is a stupid question - but better to ask than regret later.

i have an old ibm thinkpad (last year of production before it became lenovo), which i am planning to turn into a music laptop.

btw any upgrades that can be done for the usb etc? sorry if it is a stupid question - but better to ask than regret later.

@ Nandac

It should work - OS _ Light Antivirus and Foobar will not "load" it

1) Check version of USB if it is 1.1 you will need DAC with USB 1.1 support
2) How many USBs you have
3) See type of HDD , if it is old PATA ( Non Sata) very expensive to replace
4) Check Ram BTW older rams are expensive and so expensive to upgrade
5) You can increase no of USB ports by PCMCIA USB card however dunno about its performance with DAC or High capacity external HDD
6) You can buy cheap remote from Ebay for Rs 600-700
7) All in one wireless keyboards ( with mouse on keyboard a la laptop touchpad) are too available , around 2000 -3000 or more
8) If you have wifi wi fi in lap and android phone you can control your foobar from android ( anyone tried that?)
9) You may get ipod touch / iphone wifi control app
10) Do you have licence copy of windows xp?so format lap and reinstall
11) Some linux based NAS / Music server ? Player applications are there ..not explored much members can help?

Not really done it yet. My old laptop has finally committed suicide by hanging itself from the hinge (stupid dell inspiron :mad:).

We can use it as a case for all. Does anybody have a USB DAC? We can try it out with my setup.

Pls check with a good repairman ( Not authorized)
A good Jugadu can make your lapAlive you have to keep it permanently open ----maybe not a concern for media player

Also check my replies to Nandac I am in double ( or triple) minds
1) Old laptop as Music player + replacing my valab Nos dac -
2) Music PC with ESI Julia NO dac direct to amp
3) Laptop new all purpose with 1 tb HDD ( Int) + dac
4) Have one spare laptop HDD is gone and being 1.8 Inch expensive to repair or replace- Lap works ob CD linux so any solution linux boots from Thumb drive and music on other drive - - not sure

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back