COVID 19 - What is your Social Distancing strategy?

shankarcams

Like many others, I am now at home for longer periods owing to a general reduction of outdoor activity. I thought we could share our experiences of how we are spending this extra time.

As for me, I have found this to be a great opportunity to explore my music library with my new ROON streaming software. I also figured out how to rip my small library of 6 Channel SACD and put them into the ROON library, so that is also something interesting. (DSM is awesome in its re-mastered 6 channel version)

Got a list of disaster and epidemic movies and have been going through them. Have started accepting Netflix suggestions (its suggestion engine is supposed to be awesome).

Going for short walks in the street around my home.

What I am not doing is looking at hourly COVID updates. Don't see how that will help me or put me in any positive frame of mind.

Happy to hear from others!

Shankar @Chennai

Last edited by a moderator:
No change in my routine as of Covid outbreak . Spend few hours in office as i am with lean staff always. Still pursuing as-usual on next Altec projects. Having finished the Altec A8 and tuned to the best of its capability, from today onwards will be with Altec A5 project once again with new box done.

As you said I too never follow the news outbreak about covid in India. However i am slightly active in social space, so continue spending time on blasting some buffoons combined with hearing music.

More than corona i am able to satisfy my hunger with audio these days more since best half is not at home. But with all said corona is a serious issue. Collecting ration and gearing for a lockdown.

Thanks Shankar! This is a great topic for a thread

I have been on a self imposed quarantine for the past week. Have been using the time to do some listening to music and watching Netflix. Also doing some reading. One of the groups I am on decided to share some ebooks which I gladly jumped on and discovered Google Books in the process. Currently reading some books that I have been long waiting to read. I've also installed some games on my phone to keep myself occupied. Just trying to keep myself entertained with a variety of things to do.

I am also spending some time in the kitchen practicing some traditional food items. Have always had an interest for cooking so using the down time to hone some skills in this area as well. Had bought myself a cast iron skillet which I have just finished seasoning over the past month or so. I also have some bags of ground coffee my planter friends from Chikmagalur sent me some time back. Have been experimenting with them to make some filter coffee blends.

Should be interesting to see what others are doing for "Social Distancing" during this time.

@shankarcams hope you don't mind my modification of the subject line

Here is my strategy:
  • Working from home with slow blues or classic soft rock playing in background
  • Netflix in the evening (currently watching suits, CSI(on prime) and friends(random episodes))
  • Youtube : especially ranveer brar's cooking videos (knowledge and entertainment at the same time )
  • Occasional movies are on as always : watched Contagion again.
  • I try to go for a short walk in the morning when noone is there and that's pretty much it.
  • Grocery store is 500m from my home so i haven't rationed (yet)

I didn't come out of my house for past 5 days. Been very bussy with my kids and assisting my wife.

There is a new commer "Denon DCD & PMA 2500s" in home, trying all my discs on it when I get free time.

Being an IT sales guy it's hard for me to work from home. I prefer to work with my team and customer's directly.

Hi
Shankar
Thanks for this thread. I have been at home from the past two weeks as the govt. has suspended classes for the schools, colleges and universities. Only on the days of exam I went outside but today the education Dept has decided to stop the on going HS exam so shall remain at home and perhaps will listen to vinyls and digitise my CD collections .
Regards

One of the earlier posts is about ebooks. If you join telegram and search for the books channel, you will find virtually everything that has been published.

My own strategy has been to 1) talk and catch up with everyone who I have not been in touch with 2) get kids to become creative and perhaps record, burn, play in system 3) manage hygiene awareness in the building, which is proving difficult. I have found some but not enough time for myself. I also work in the stock market and markets are not shut down so at present not working from home.

just a suggestion, since some of the forum members are well versed with music equipment and music and so many other facets, maybe some one would like to take the initiative of a live video/podcast on a platform that is convenient, ideally our very own if possible. I am sure more people might now have the time to tune in. Since I cant hold an audience captive with no real insights, maybe somebody could?

I have been home for the last 3 days. Self quarantine. My wife from today. My 7 year old has holidays. He too is quarantined. No tennis classes. No playing in the apartment complex. The minute I get up, I have to see all the news on the virus !!! Son gets up at 9 and then it's 'Gorn' on VR. His daily exercise pretending to be a gladiator. Good exercise. I play it too. Then Table Tennis in VR. Some more exercise. Moving on to a game of chess with my son. After that, one hour of Forza Horizon 4 for both father and son. Afternoon siesta, and back to VR and xbox. Later in the night, movies and music.

Am not complaining. Alcohol consumption has gone up drastically though. :(

I have been home for the last 3 days. Self quarantine. My wife from today. My 7 year old has holidays. He too is quarantined. No tennis classes. No playing in the apartment complex. The minute I get up, I have to see all the news on the virus !!! Son gets up at 9 and then it's 'Gorn' on VR. His daily exercise pretending to be a gladiator. Good exercise. I play it too. Then Table Tennis in VR. Some more exercise. Moving on to a game of chess with my son. After that, one hour of Forza Horizon 4 for both father and son. Afternoon siesta, and back to VR and xbox. Later in the night, movies and music.

Am not complaining. Alcohol consumption has gone up drastically though. :(

Hope all of you are well.

Were you traveling abroad ?

Just watched "Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool" on Netflix
Must watch for any Miles Davis fan.

miles-davis.jpg

Nice thread... although most doctors are very busy but I have now stopped going to my work place which is a hospital with diagnostic centre, as being a radiologist I can do the necessary reporting from home...only in case of emergency ultrasound etc I need to go....
When free enjoying music and movies at home

For the first time in my life, Working from Home formally, so kind of learning how to manage teams and outcomes remotely.

Getting to watch a movie a day which is a bonus.

Wife too has started listening to music, so it makes the home atmosphere very pleasant.

Elder son who is in Grade 5 and is doing online classrooms through Zoom and loves it, so thats a plus.

This isn’t about the distancing strategy, But perhaps this is the best place I felt to post this.

In today’s situation there is no dearth of messages and videos being shared. But while we focus on physical health, our mental well-being should also remain our focus. Hence sharing a video by renowned psychiatrist (and my teacher-mentor) Dr Nadkarni who is an authority in community mental health.

"Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates | Netflix"

Fascinating documentary which I started watching yesterday. Apart from his mind boggling intellect it is just amazing to see the level of commitment that Bill Gates has for the issues that they are tackling through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back