crown amplifiers??

manu4panjab

hey bros.
anyone heard crown amplifiers,i just talked to crown amplifier dealer in ludhiana and he has one model which has 300 watts x2 stereo amp it cost only 20000

anyone shed some light on crown amlifiers and i heard and read somewhere that crwon amplifier's fan very much noisy is it true

please reply bros.

here's the model
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm

Last edited:
They are class D and used mostly in low cost professional setups.I guess they also make amps specifically for JBL units.

I am not sure how it will suit a home HIFI setup.

Last edited:
AFAIK - Crown are professional installation amplifiers having a very ood reputationin that field
also on net I found instances where people used as home amp and they have satisfied customers in this arena
In fact I remember a person in US used 5 Crown amps as power amps in his HT!

Anyway a lot may not be suitable for home use - experts your views please.

Can I have model no please? As I find price bit low . CHK US price too as there are some " Duplicate" commercial Amps too

Crown are professional amplifiers. Quite decent gear. I have seen them being used in some studios also.
I dont think 300 wattsx2 at 20,000 is cheap if you look at it in the right perspective.
If you look at the power amplifier section, you may be getting better value here than a 1.5 lakh worth AVR. 80 percent of the cost of an AVR is in the thick fancy face plate and hundreds of unnecessary gizmos.
If you have a good pre-processor, using a stack of these as power amps can easily beat a fancy-pants all in box receiver costing 6 times more.

Crown are professional amplifiers. Quite decent gear. I have seen them being used in some studios also.
I dont think 300 wattsx2 at 20,000 is cheap if you look at it in the right perspective.
If you look at the power amplifier section, you may be getting better value here than a 1.5 lakh worth AVR. 80 percent of the cost of an AVR is in the thick fancy face plate and hundreds of unnecessary gizmos.
If you have a good pre-processor, using a stack of these as power amps can easily beat a fancy-pants all in box receiver costing 6 times more.

bro i dont have any pre amps so how about this if i buy onkyo 707 which has pre-outs and get two crown amps
is it work

Crown makes commercial amplifiers for use on stages, studios, and other professional environment where amplitude takes precedence over everything else.

Commercial amplifiers, since they need to drive large speakers, usually use Class D amplification. Class D amplifiers are power efficient - meaning that they need much less power than a comparable Class A or Class AB amplifier. But that comes with some cons. As these amplifiers output high impedance, extremely efficient post-filter-feedback mechanism is needed to control the output. At low frequencies, these amps will literally growl, but will start sounding harsh at high frequencies. Most manufacturers are not worried about this as the usage is commercial and you don't worry about transparency and accuracy in those environments. Only power matters there.

The Crown XLS series has THD of 0.5% and a IMD of 0.3% that is very high compared to amplifiers made for home use. These amplifiers will distort sound quickly as you increase the volume and you will also end up with ear fatigue

These amps are also usually designed to work with horn based speakers that can throw sound over long distances.

Amplifier designers shy away from using Class D for home use for a very simple reason. To design and build a Class D that has the same sound efficiency as a Class A or a Class AB, will make the Class D more expensive. To bring it to a THD of 0.005% that is typical of Class AB amps means a complicated filter circuit as well as feedback mechanism that designers don't like.

Though there is no harm is looking at any amplifier, it is a question of what your ears like. A Class D may fulfill your desire for bass, but will certainly sound distorted at higher frequencies.

Cheers

Crown makes commercial amplifiers for use on stages, studios, and other professional environment where amplitude takes precedence over everything else.

Commercial amplifiers, since they need to drive large speakers, usually use Class D amplification. Class D amplifiers are power efficient - meaning that they need much less power than a comparable Class A or Class AB amplifier. But that comes with some cons. As these amplifiers output high impedance, extremely efficient post-filter-feedback mechanism is needed to control the output. At low frequencies, these amps will literally growl, but will start sounding harsh at high frequencies. Most manufacturers are not worried about this as the usage is commercial and you don't worry about transparency and accuracy in those environments. Only power matters there.

The Crown XLS series has THD of 0.5% and a IMD of 0.3% that is very high compared to amplifiers made for home use. These amplifiers will distort sound quickly as you increase the volume and you will also end up with ear fatigue

These amps are also usually designed to work with horn based speakers that can throw sound over long distances.

Amplifier designers shy away from using Class D for home use for a very simple reason. To design and build a Class D that has the same sound efficiency as a Class A or a Class AB, will make the Class D more expensive. To bring it to a THD of 0.005% that is typical of Class AB amps means a complicated filter circuit as well as feedback mechanism that designers don't like.

Though there is no harm is looking at any amplifier, it is a question of what your ears like. A Class D may fulfill your desire for bass, but will certainly sound distorted at higher frequencies.

Cheers

ok sir first of all thanks for reply :)
sir how about this i'll buy 707 now and save my money and use that money later in some great amps
is it good

I do not know much about the particular amplifier which is being talked about.
I have seen some classic models being used a studio as well as homes. I do not remember the exact models. They work very well and sound just perfect. Far superior than any AVR that I have ever heard.

The amplifier models being used for PA generally exhibits the same characteristics which Venkat mentioned and are not suited for home. If the model in question is one of those, stay away from them.

Class D power amplifiers if well implemented are far superior to any hi-end AVR in the market today. Spectron, Nuforce, CIA etc.. comes to mind.
Dedicated class A or A/B power amplifiers are a different ballgame !

I do not know much about the particular amplifier which is being talked about.
I have seen some classic models being used a studio as well as homes. I do not remember the exact models. They work very well and sound just perfect. Far superior than any AVR that I have ever heard.

The amplifier models being used for PA generally exhibits the same characteristics which Venkat mentioned and are not suited for home. If the model in question is one of those, stay away from them.

Class D power amplifiers if well implemented are far superior to any hi-end AVR in the market today. Spectron, Nuforce, CIA etc.. comes to mind.
Dedicated class A or A/B power amplifiers are a different ballgame !

thanks bro
i already ordered 707 and use it as pre-amp in near future so my hunt for great amp is now begin :)

You could look at ATI amplifiers for a multichannel power amp.
Amplifier Technologies Inc.
Arn systems in Bangalore deals in them.
If you have someone coming from the US, pick up one from here: ATI is the OEM for them too.
Outlaw Audio

If you want to check out Class D, check out the Jaton Operetta. They can be upgraded to any number of channels by adding modules.
Another very good amp is the Wyred4sound.
WYRED 4 SOUND
Reviews:
6moons audio reviews: Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monos

The wyred4Sound Class D amplifiers has been replacing some really expensive, snooty amplifiers on AA. Do some research.
One you get into separates, you will not be satisfied with your AVR. I suggest you start investing in separates instead of a big shiny AVR. They are a waste of money in the long term.

Last edited:
You could look at ATI amplifiers for a multichannel power amp.
Amplifier Technologies Inc.
Arn systems in Bangalore deals in them.
If you have someone coming from the US, pick up one from here: ATI is the OEM for them too.
Outlaw Audio

If you want to check out Class D, check out the Jaton Operetta. They can be upgraded to any number of channels by adding modules.
Another very good amp is the Wyred4sound.
WYRED 4 SOUND
Reviews:
6moons audio reviews: Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monos

The wyred4Sound Class D amplifiers has been replacing some really expensive, snooty amplifiers on AA. Do some research.
One you get into separates, you will not be satisfied with your AVR. I suggest you start investing in separates instead of a big shiny AVR. They are a waste of money in the long term.

thanks bhai the ati amps in my budget :yahoo: so my idea for using 707 as pre-amp is good na :sad:
and bro do u have any cell no. for ati dealers here and i also talk to venkat sir and he told me audire too so i want both dealers number

Last edited:
i have not heard the crown amp but i am using Proland power mixer, a chinese company in pro audio . i like the sound more than YAmaha RXV 361 in stereo mode.much better bass with same speakers. the output is 250W X 2 at 4 ohms. cost is Rs 7.5 k I don't know what is the THD and i have not noticed any noise as such.

i am using full range speakers getting full signal+ tweeters with hi pass filter at 4Khz. so most of the job is done by full ranger and tweetr just helps in higher frequencies. i have not noticed any harshness.

may be i am lucky in either getting ears that do not notice harshness or getting an amp that is really good by luck. who knows. but i am happy. this amp has ended my search for subwoofer amp for music. i do not need sub any more at least for music.

i have not heard the crown amp but i am using Proland power mixer, a chinese company in pro audio . i like the sound more than YAmaha RXV 361 in stereo mode.much better bass with same speakers. the output is 250W X 2 at 4 ohms. cost is Rs 7.5 k I don't know what is the THD and i have not noticed any noise as such.

i am using full range speakers getting full signal+ tweeters with hi pass filter at 4Khz. so most of the job is done by full ranger and tweetr just helps in higher frequencies. i have not noticed any harshness.

may be i am lucky in either getting ears that do not notice harshness or getting an amp that is really good by luck. who knows. but i am happy. this amp has ended my search for subwoofer amp for music. i do not need sub any more at least for music.
that's good to hear yaar :) but i want 8ohms amp brother

thanks bhai the ati amps in my budget :yahoo: so my idea for using 707 as pre-amp is good na :sad:
and bro do u have any cell no. for ati dealers here and i also talk to venkat sir and he told me audire too so i want both dealers number

Odyssey on the forum is the dealer for ATI. PM him.
If you are really into multichannel sound, try and get hold of a decent preamp/proccessor instead of an AVR. Then pick up a multi channel amp.
The onkyo will work too.

Odyssey on the forum is the dealer for ATI. PM him.
If you are really into multichannel sound, try and get hold of a decent preamp/proccessor instead of an AVR. Then pick up a multi channel amp.
The onkyo will work too.

thanks bro i pm him and i will use onkyo 707 :) as pre-amp

that's good to hear yaar :) but i want 8ohms amp brother

hi manu,

an amp which can drive 4 ohm speakers will always easily drive 8 ohm speakers. so while buying an amp, i would always choose an amp which has the capability to drive 4 ohm load. an amp which is rated only for 8 ohm speakers will find it very difficult to drive 4 ohm speakers and then the choice of speaker is significantly limited. a lot of commercially available speakers are 4 -6 ohms.

at present i am driving 8 ohm speaksrs through my power mixer.:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back