Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

Yeah, we can pay by Visa/Mastercard debit or credit card.
Credit card company charges a small amount (varying between 1.5 to 2.5% of charged amount in Foreign currency).
But still..most of the time...the total cost actually comes lesser than the Bluray items available in India.
If we compare the product quality, Indian discs are mostly censored and they come in very low quality thin Bluray box. All the UK Bluray comes in efficient packaging with excellent quality covers/slipcovers/boxes.

ICICI and HDFC banks charge 3.5%.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I stopped ordering from Amazon after having to pay duty on each and every shipment. Frustrated I had a talk with the customs officer who is housed right opposite my office. He showed me the Customs Rule book which stated that any mail order items from abroad are charged a flat rate of 35% + 5% duty. I asked the part about the "marked as gift thing" and he said if its from a commercial retailer like amazon they do charge duty nevertheless. However if the package is from a person and marked as a gift & under the value of Rs.10,000 no duty is charged.

So ultimately my BD's cost way more than that over here. Really hate watching the censored version though.:D

check this out Know your Import Duty Enquiry System

Hi,
Recieved the Harry potter series today From amazon. the duty charged was 1110 + 30 postage . The cost of the blu rays including shipping was 27.72 pounds . That's almost 50 ./. Duty!

Hi,
Recieved the Harry potter series today From amazon. the duty charged was 1110 + 30 postage . The cost of the blu rays including shipping was 27.72 pounds . That's almost 50 ./. Duty!

this is crazy! they can't charge that much. have you validated the charges with custom? there is a lot of fraud going on.

A quick OT question. So when u buy movies from abroad it does not have indian film censor certificate. How is that allowed?

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

A quick OT question. So when u buy movies from abroad it does not have indian film censor certificate. How is that allowed?

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.
Strictly speaking, it is illegal to watch movies that contain content not cleared by Indian Censors. Guess no one bothers about private collections.

the package was brought by our local postman, there was a paper stuck on the package with says duty 1110 and postage 30 written by pen . and he had a paper which said the same on which he took my countersign . when i asked the postman ,he said that he has no idea of the same ,as he was supposed to deliver the parcel only after collection of the custom duty. if it is a fraud then the postal dept should also be involved , which is very unlikely,because the duty is collected thru them .

the package was brought by our local postman, there was a paper stuck on the package with says duty 1110 and postage 30 written by pen . and he had a paper which said the same on which he took my countersign . when i asked the postman ,he said that he has no idea of the same ,as he was supposed to deliver the parcel only after collection of the custom duty. if it is a fraud then the postal dept should also be involved , which is very unlikely,because the duty is collected thru them .

If you cross check at
Display of details for Tariff or Description

the custom duty will come to a max of Rs600. :mad:
When i said there was a fraud, i was referring to the notice that was published in TOI by the customs which accepted that a lot of times there are bogus receipts used to collect money which never reaches the customs. They have started a process by which the receipt will have a unique identification number that can be cross checked on their website before paying. At the moment i am unable to find that notification.:sad: I'll keep you posted with the development.

Well the article was about Octroi on imported goods. They have a way to verify electronic receipts. But i still feel Rs1110 cannot be legally right. They are making a few bucks there. Can you post a image of the receipt?

i thought it is only illegal to sell movies without censor board certificate or screen in public , nothing as such for private use.
I am not a legal expert. But as per definition and directive of the local country censor board, you can import/distribute/sell/purchase/own content that is cleared by the local body.

The Satanic Verses is banned in India but many have it in their personal collection. But as far as I understand, one is not supposed to own content that is banned in full or in part in the country of normal residence. But as I said I am not a legal expert.

Just got home to find out that i have received the custom receipt. I'll have to go to the local post office to pick up the Harry Potter box set.
Firstly, they have charged me 41.492% as customs even though their website says it should be 28.852%:mad:
Thinking of going to the customs office to understand the discrepancy.
Secondly, they have charged me on the entire package including shipping GBP 3.58. :mad: bunch of morons. God knows who hires them.
If this remains the case then i'll have to cancel my plan of importing the new Oppo player, as the shipment itself cost $200.

The receipt was stuck on the package ! Had disposed of the packing at my workplace, will check tomorrow if it is still in the in the bin .or will ask the postman to give me a copy of the acknowlegement .

Collection of customs duty through the delivery man is legal.

The customs authority may charge penal customs duty of around 41%, when any item is imported without import license. This can be reduced slightly if the person applies for special consideration to the Customs authority and if customs authority feels that the items are imported for personal use. In one occassion I have done so and got some consideration.

Best way is, if the items are sent by any relative or friend as GIFT and valuation within Rs. 25000. Then it will not attract customs duty.

The most disheartening news is that the Audio CDs / Blu Rays/ DVDs, which used to be delivered without any customs duty levied on them is now getting loaded with customs duty. Import of Blu ray discs becomes uneconomical now a days. There was a golden period when Amazon.Uk delivered free to India and there was no customs duty.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back