Custom duty discussion on blu-rays imported

Best way is, if the items are sent by any relative or friend as GIFT and valuation within Rs. 25000. Then it will not attract customs duty.

Have u actually tried this out ? Not a bad idea, if it works ...

Import of Blu ray discs becomes uneconomical now a days. There was a golden period when Amazon.Uk delivered free to India and there was no customs duty.

I used this "golden period" (while in Lucknow) to import about 150 BDs. Had to pay Rs.2000 customs duty on a 50 GBP BD order after shifting to Mumbai recently.

Just got home to find out that i have received the custom receipt. I'll have to go to the local post office to pick up the Harry Potter box set.
Firstly, they have charged me 41.492% as customs even though their website says it should be 28.852%:mad:
Thinking of going to the customs office to understand the discrepancy.
Secondly, they have charged me on the entire package including shipping GBP 3.58. :mad: bunch of morons. God knows who hires them.
If this remains the case then i'll have to cancel my plan of importing the new Oppo player, as the shipment itself cost $200.

Customs duty is chargeable on base cost plus shipping.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Some time ago (in Aug) I had placed an order for some 5 blu-ray's from Amazon. I never received the package. So I wrote to Amazon and they sent me a free new delivery of the same 5 BD's. Last Friday, the parcel arrived:

- Shock # 1. Instead of the original price of 45.09, the new price declaration slip on the package was 110.64.
- Shock # 2. The package was not marked "gift" but then it seems that it does not make any difference.
- Shock # 3. Customs duty was Rs. 4778 + postage Rs. 30 making the total Rs. 4808.

So I refused to pay the attrocious charges. Obviously I could not argue with the postman. The postman took the package back. I cancelled the order from Amazon and I have been refunded the money.

Meanwhile the original package is still missing.

Result: I am not ordering from Amazon any more.

Even I have ordered HP box set on 17 Sep, should have received on 25th Sep, but not received yet, mailed amazon.co.UK, said wait till Oct 3rd , if I didnt receive , they will resend or I can cancel!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

All guys...we should remain 'zipped'...why u want to wake up custom babus.many BDRs come free if vendor is not amazon like reputed store:p

I seriously doubt that. Customs people are not fools. They may be indulgent, they may be swamped with lot of work/clearing, they may ignore small value items. But don't ever assume that they do not know their stuff. In fact it is quite the opposite.

they know all..

now 3 bdrs will pass as value will be <1.5k,as they are buzy with other stuff

but if imports re too much seeing threads like this,may be small shipments get bugged

Here is a typical customs receipt demand attached to the Amazon box...

scan0002.jpg

Customs duty is chargeable on base cost plus shipping.

Yep. You are right.
The charges are as per Customs Tarrif 9804 and includes shipping and insurance. The rate is 35% + 4%tax.

First Amazon.de went bad and now looks like the rest of amazon is going bad. :(

Secondly, they have charged me on the entire package including shipping GBP 3.58. :mad: bunch of morons. God knows who hires them.
If this remains the case then i'll have to cancel my plan of importing the new Oppo player, as the shipment itself cost $200.

Charging on original price + shipping is the law in India

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

Charging on original price + shipping is the law in India

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

:eek:fftopic: You should use Swype keyboard for typing like I do. Less typos. :)

In my collection I have near about 180 BD. 80% of BD are from Amazon.uk but never charged any customs duty. Actually if you keep item value under Rs 2000.00 customs simply ignore the item.I have ordered 6 shipment (total 25 BD ) during the month of Sept, 5 shipment are received with out any duty.

In my collection I have near about 180 BD. 80% of BD are from Amazon.uk but never charged any customs duty. Actually if you keep item value under Rs 2000.00 customs simply ignore the item.I have ordered 6 shipment (total 25 BD ) during the month of Sept, 5 shipment are received with out any duty.

Dosen't work in Mumbai. I had sourced about 125 BDs while in Lucknow with various order values : mostly below 20 GBP but quite a few (including the 8 movie HP pre-order) exceeding that limit and never had to pay a single rupee duty. After coming to Mumbai, have paid approx 2000 bucks total on two separate shipments of about GBP 15 and GBP 35. (I am dreading the postman's knock for delivery of the Bond set in a day or two.)

Obviously, the customs gyus at Kolkata / Lucknow are more sympathetic to our cause.

Same issue I faced at Hyd. In sep both my orders from amazon UK, both individual, both under 12 GBP ; were charged duty.

There's really no trend or base on which customs duty is charged from what we are getting to know.

Orders more then 2K-3K sometimes are cleared without duty, and sometimes happens so, 8GBP parcel is also charged duty.

But from what peeps are posting here, Blu-rays are 70-80% cleared duty free. So that's good thing really.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back