Dark Acoustic ceiling - Merits, Aesthetics and costs

vij

I am building a smallish dedicated HT - its 13x10 room. Going to paint the projector wall dark chocolate and also 4 feet of the side walls the same. Rest will be cream color 40% of which will be covered by curtains. Floor will be using carpet tiles. I am only going for a 92" screen as the viewing distance will be 8 feet to 11 feet.

Anyways - the question is about the ceiling. . I am considering the Matt SS Ebony anutone acoustic ceiling
Ekcel | Anutone

Questions thoughts:

1. What are your thoughts on a dark acoustic ceiling? I am just concerned if it will make the room gloomy and if plain white gypsum ceiling will be just fine.

2. Also, has anyone got these dark Anutone or Armstrong ceiling done - if so what was the cost?

Last edited:
What may be the reason that these website don't mention price of their products? What is so secret about it? Or is that they price them according to the customers. Customer coming out of Mercedes will be charged differently than the customers getting down from their Hero (Honda) and so on.

What may be the reason that these website don't mention price of their products? What is so secret about it? Or is that they price them according to the customers. Customer coming out of Mercedes will be charged differently than the customers getting down from their Hero (Honda) and so on.

I will probably go on my watchman's cycle then :cool:

Vij-> I have used Anutone Subtex Ebony 15mm with Anutone channels and accessories in black color for my HT room.

When I did this 1.5 years back, the damage was around Rs 150/sqft including labor charges. I used the help from my own carpenters to do the fittings and its a pretty easy job. The only challenge is in fixing the channels properly.

The all black false ceiling is definitely helping in getting the real theater experience while watching movies.

I have put 3W LED lights and some fancy red colored LED strips for fun. I use the LED lights when listening to music and never felt it to be anything bad.

This is my HT build thread if you want to take a look - http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/46258-yet-another-dedicated-home-theater-build.html

Also I read in couple of places that Gypsum false ceiling is not good for HT as its not a good sound absorber and sometime cause vibration.

Koushik -> The reason these guys don't put the price in their web site is because of the "dirty" competition I guess. They usually don't even disclose the price over phone. You have to either visit their office or they will connect you to a retailer and you have to strike a deal with the retailer. And companies like Anutone are not very interested in smaller orders that are needed for a home theater. They are always looking for the big fishes like multiplexes, large audis, office spaces etc. I could visit their local office as they are based out of Bangalore and once you go to their office, they are little more "friendly" and explain you about various product features in detail. I did buy good worth a lakh from them when I did my acoustics, so they showed little interest :). They didn't sell stuff directly. I had to go though a retailer they recommended and bargain a bit.

Last edited:
Dark ceiling is an absolute must if you don't want the light reflected off it to wash out the picture on your screen. Do not compromise on this.
But it is not an absolute must to use the acoustic ceiling tiles - i don't use them and i'm doing okay. But if you can afford it and are at a stage where you can get drilling etc done, then you must go for it.

Vij-> I have used Anutone Subtex Ebony 15mm with Anutone channels and accessories in black color for my HT room.

When I did this 1.5 years back, the damage was around Rs 150/sqft including labor charges. I used the help from my own carpenters to do the fittings and its a pretty easy job. The only challenge is in fixing the channels properly.

The all black false ceiling is definitely helping in getting the real theater experience while watching movies.

I have put 3W LED lights and some fancy red colored LED strips for fun. I use the LED lights when listening to music and never felt it to be anything bad.

This is my HT build thread if you want to take a look - http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/46258-yet-another-dedicated-home-theater-build.html

Also I read in couple of places that Gypsum false ceiling is not good for HT as its not a good sound absorber and sometime cause vibration.

Koushik -> The reason these guys don't put the price in their web site is because of the "dirty" competition I guess. They usually don't even disclose the price over phone. You have to either visit their office or they will connect you to a retailer and you have to strike a deal with the retailer. And companies like Anutone are not very interested in smaller orders that are needed for a home theater. They are always looking for the big fishes like multiplexes, large audis, office spaces etc. I could visit their local office as they are based out of Bangalore and once you go to their office, they are little more "friendly" and explain you about various product features in detail. I did buy good worth a lakh from them when I did my acoustics, so they showed little interest :). They didn't sell stuff directly. I had to go though a retailer they recommended and bargain a bit.

Very good HT you have :) looks great (even with the crappy camera :p )

Thanks for the opinions!! Really helped.
Apart from the ceiling, I am also considering putting the ebony ceiling tiles on the projector wall(not side wall) too. Apparently Anutone also does paneling using the same Ebony tiles. Will probably give a more uniform look. Will be talking to the dealer tomorrow and get an estimate.

Last edited:
Very good HT you have :) looks great (even with the crappy camera :p )

Thanks for the opinions!! Really helped.
Apart from the ceiling, I am also considering putting the ebony ceiling tiles on the projector wall(not side wall) too. Apparently Anutone also does paneling using the same Ebony tiles. Will probably give a more uniform look. Will be talking to the dealer tomorrow and get an estimate.

Good luck buddy. Its lots of fun (and frustration :) ) to build an HT room on your own. I am sure you are gonna enjoy the build and the experience later on. Please do share some pics of the progress.

I would say a no no to wood wool because first of all if its colored its gonna ware off pretty quickly the color start coming off and this is based on my own experience, beside wood wool itself does not have a good absorption it has to be used with a backing of glass wool or rock wool or any other porous/absorptive material.

Do not use gypsum as it is a reflective material and is used for isolation (Soundproofing). Absorption is what you should go for to control ground to ceiling reflections, i would suggest you look for acoustic panels. These days you get manufactured products in India that can be hung directly from the ceiling with just using a few screws.

Remember if its cheap its not good and if its good its not cheap!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back