Data Recovery - Western Digital Hard Disk

mitware

Guys,

I have a Western Digital External Hard Disk. It would no longer connect to my laptop or desktop. I need to recover a very important folder that is stored inside that hard disk. Any suggestion what I can do to recover that folder?

Any shop or company who can help me in recovering that folder? I am located in Mumbai - Western Suburbs.

Thanks in Advance!

Hi

There are lot of Data Recovery firms which are there in Mumbai who do it for a steep fee...I recall paying almost 15k to recover around 300GB data which was family photos and videos etc.....

One of the best recovery software is Stellar Phoenix which I installed and it works like a charm.......try scouting google for such a software.....

Last option is Grant Road (Lamington Road) where there are shops as well as private individual persons who do it.....

All the best.....

WD has service center in Pune. Just google search for it.
IMO, it has two parts - USB Interface, and SATA disk. Anyway disk failure is rare but happens. But most of the time USB agent hardware fails unless you dropped the disk itself. Retrieving internal SATA HDD and placing into new external USB case would help but would guaranteed only if SATA HDD is okay.

Last edited:
What kind of issue it is ? R u getting power and can u sense spinning by touching the hard drive or any knocking sound !!
If ur laptop is detecting the hdd but you are not able to opening the data/folders then try Stellar Pheonix as suggested earlier and it should be able to recover unless any physical damage to hdd

Fingers crossed for ur data

There's a few primary checks..

1. If there's clicking sound coming from HDD when connected. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT
connect it cos that clicking sounds mean the reading arm is broken, if you connect
the power to HDD it will scratch the data surface and boom there goes the chance to
retrieve data.

2. If there's no clicking sound use that data recovery software.

3. If that click sound is coming try n get in touch with WD's India office.

If the DATA is really important don't let guys at lamington road fiddle with you HDD.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I tried Stellar Pheonix, it kind of detects it but shows the size as 0.00 KB.

I also tried EaseUS Data Recovery tool but No luck.

With respect to the issue - I am getting power and blinking light. I think I can sense spinning by hearing it. There is NO knocking sound !!

Windows shows the drive under disk management as Disk 1 -- Unknown -- Not Initialized. When I try to initialize it, it says -- The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I have lots of family pics which I don't want to loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Stellar Phoenix Professional has more options to restore data...you need that version....

Stellar Phoenix seems to be good for the job.

There are multiple options for recovery. Try to recover only a few files first, if it shows up.

You need to be very patient as the recovery process is very slow.

Also be gentle with HDD and place it firmly secured in PC.

You may also want to check the cables from HDD to MB, I'll recommend new ones just to be sure.

You may also check the connections at the same time (PS and DATA).

Try scanning the HDD by Stellar a few times, you may strike lucky.

Good Luck, May the force be with you.

I used many s.w trying to recover data from my friend's portable wd hdd, none worked, finally I found seagate file recovery software which helped me in recovery.
Hint : try to find seagate file recovery sw version 2.0; if you have any issues finding it feel free to pm me.

I tried Stellar Phoenix Professional as suggested but No Luck. It is not able to read the external hard drive - See Here

uVR7z

Also I tried seagate file recovery 2.0 as suggested by chetansha. Same Result, It is also not able to read the external hard drive. See Here

sW35G

Mitware, all these softwares primarily help you in case the issue is related to corrupt filesystem or spinning malfunction at the most. But physical failures always require their professional services. I have a similar problem too with a seagate hdd of 1 TB size and stellar quoted me 56,000 rupees for recovery including all taxes. I took it back and checking for a cheaper rate elsewhere in kolkata. Seagate service center in kolkata got me a 3rd party quote of 22,000 rupees initially which I did not take thinking it to be high but all eyes opened after quotataion from Stellar. I did ask stellar for an explanation of the cost and per them they would need to buy 10 to 12 additional HDDs to use their heads to transplant in mine recover. I did challenge them saying that why can you not use just one HDDS heads and their response was that since the transplant of heads has some micron error and hence not perfect as OEM so it's life is less and can read only 20 lakh sector wherein in this HDD they have to read and scan 2 crore sectors. So this plus their professional charges make up for the high price. Can you imagine? ;) ;) :) so bargain very hard and get multiple quotes but do not let anyone open or tamper the hard disk unless you have decided to go with them. So ask for quotes without letting them open your hdd.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back