Decide between Sony EX500, NX500, BX 400, W550 and Samsung B550/650

well the EX500 is cheaper because its uses a 2010 panels which are slightly cheaper then 09 panel used in samsung,when the samsung C650 is launched it should be cheaper then the sony if not cost about the same.
in india sony is expensive due to the 30+% of custom duties,even in thailand the sonys are cheaper then samsung.

i would suggest the EX500 or wait for C650 it could be cheaper.

when this new c650 will be launch in middle east? and how its differ from B650?

when this new c650 will be launch in middle east? and how its differ from B650?

well it should be available in may,the new C650 like the new sonys are more efficient and have slightly better contrast then the older 09 lcd tvs.

I was also confused between EX500 and NX500.

Finally, I have chosen NX500 because of its looks. There is absolutely no difference between EX500 and NX500 except the shiny look.

100MHz is available in EX500 and it does make a difference in SD. The motion is comparatively smoother than NX500. But, it does not make a whole lot of difference. Picture still lags when there is a fast moving picture and it just better in EX500 (NX500 is 50MHz).

All this MHz games will stop once we get HD signals like Sun HD.

Even though the features wise it is not different, I felt the PQ is better in NX500 than EX500 in Sony Demo showroom. I made sure all settings are absolutely same and feed was from SD (Big TV). I saw the PQ is better in NX500. Sony salesman agreed and said that it may be because of the front glass or may be because NX500 has better hardware than EX500. But he is not sure and I am also, but we saw a difference.

I am not comparing other models like W550A and BX500 as BX500 is Basic model and W550A is out of production.

If you have enough money to shell out, go for SONY.

The aesthetic difference on the NX series looks classier as it has a flat glass pane in the front. The advantage of this is it acts as an additional layer of protection to your LCD panel itself from any liquid damage/ kids playing with sharp objects, etc.. This way, you could simply just replace the outer glass whereas on the EX series, the entire LCD panel should be replaced in case of damage.

The disadvantage of NX over EX is very simple and logical - since you have a glossy finish glass pane, you'll find that the screen reflects a lot of light onto it. Any objects you have in the room where the TV is kept will definitely reflect onto the LCD tv. This is also unfit for 'angular viewing'.

Nevertheless, NX is definitely a good buy.

Cheers.. :)
Sudarshan

Last edited:
Now i am just watching the movies from the laptop via HDMI. Still waiting for the dish connection. have to purchase the dish and lnb and settop box.
With the HDMI connected to laptop the screen size is not full on the lcd, there is some gap of about 5 cm in top and bottom and 8 cm on left and right.
Why its so? can i make the screen to full 40 inch?

Now i am just watching the movies from the laptop via HDMI. Still waiting for the dish connection. have to purchase the dish and lnb and settop box.
With the HDMI connected to laptop the screen size is not full on the lcd, there is some gap of about 5 cm in top and bottom and 8 cm on left and right.

damboo, Dish tv has the worst signal quality among set top box service providers. If you have not signed any contract yet, please consider other services. Sun Direct has a HD DTH service which is good.

Regarding the picture size, the TV is probably playing the video in its native resolution which could be less than 1920*1080 (the HD resolution). I would suggest that you leave it at that. If you would still like it to play full screen, then go to Menu->Settings->Screen->Wide mode. Change the wide mode to your liking. However, changing this will most likely end up distorting or cropping the picture.

Hey, for this check out ur graphics card control panel, even i adjusted with my nvidia control panel for myself
2nip5x3.png

damboo, Dish tv has the worst signal quality among set top box service providers. If you have not signed any contract yet, please consider other services. Sun Direct has a HD DTH service which is good.

Regarding the picture size, the TV is probably playing the video in its native resolution which could be less than 1920*1080 (the HD resolution). I would suggest that you leave it at that. If you would still like it to play full screen, then go to Menu->Settings->Screen->Wide mode. Change the wide mode to your liking. However, changing this will most likely end up distorting or cropping the picture.
hai, i am not in India, i am in jazan, Saudi arabia. so i am looking for indian DTH here, but i dont have any idea that Indian DTH will work here in jazan (south west of saudi)?

hai, i am not in India, i am in jazan, Saudi arabia. so i am looking for indian DTH here, but i dont have any idea that Indian DTH will work here in jazan (south west of saudi)?

Legally, you cannot subscribe to Dish TV from Saudi Arabia as the service is meant to be used only within India. But in Dubai, there are grey market operators who will install Dish TV in your home for an additional charge. Mind you, although a large section of Indian population here does use Dish TV, this is not legal.

==========================================================

Hi,

I need to choose between Sony EX400 & NX500 and would like to know about EX series not having digital or optical outs. What sort of outputs are these and their functionalities?

Gurpreet Singh

NX series is not sold as LEDs at least in middle east. They are sold only as CCFLS. NX series is just a good looking EX series and there is no difference between the two feature-wise.

I have both the EX500 series and EX400 series. The 100Hz refresh rate of EX500 does make a minor difference to SD sources fed through composite or component. Also 100Hz is not an "intermittent" solution. It is basically the refresh rate of the television and 100Hz models will most likely be around for few more years before the true benefits (if any) of 200Hz becomes more visible.

Damboo, be warned that the EX & BX series do not have digital or optical outs which in my case is a minor irritant. Not sure about NX series though. If you're not very particular about these outputs, then you should be fine.

pls dont ever think of 40nx500.
i bought it a week ago n i'm frustated by the glass panel. it reflects everything n its so frustating becos u'll see (urself n the objects before the tv) in the tv. u wont be able to see the picture of the channel becose of this reflection.i'm so tortured n makes me not wanna watch at all. so i'm thinking of removing the glass now. but by removing the glass, there is some gap between lcd panel n the frame of the tv because of the glass locks inside. so, if i remove glass, dust will easily go inside(only in this model).

just go for ex400.

Hi Everyone,

One of my friend is coming from US. I have asked him to buy me Sony 40" LCD. Please suggest can I go for 40EX600 (LED) or 40Ex500 (CCFL). Since the EX600 is basic model of LED doesn't have motion flow. Also Pls let me know can we able to bring 40" LCD to India without any problem (whether the airlines will allow because of the size).

VeluSaravanan

Well tell him to buy the lcd in singapore or hk if he landing there.
The us lcds are ntsc only ,they also work in 110v only ,so you will need converters.
alternately you can buy them in grey market where it is at the max only 20% more expensive then the street price in sg,hk etc

pls dont ever think of 40nx500.
i bought it a week ago n i'm frustated by the glass panel. it reflects everything n its so frustating becos u'll see (urself n the objects before the tv) in the tv. u wont be able to see the picture of the channel becose of this reflection.i'm so tortured n makes me not wanna watch at all. so i'm thinking of removing the glass now. but by removing the glass, there is some gap between lcd panel n the frame of the tv because of the glass locks inside. so, if i remove glass, dust will easily go inside(only in this model).

just go for ex400.

Can you please elaborate? Specifically, what is the source of light (sunlight, tubelight,etc.) and its position (facing the TV, sideways, etc.) in the room?

I am asking this because, I am interested in the NX500. But looking at your post I am rethinking.

Can you please elaborate? Specifically, what is the source of light (sunlight, tubelight,etc.) and its position (facing the TV, sideways, etc.) in the room?

I am asking this because, I am interested in the NX500. But looking at your post I am rethinking.

Well i would avoid the NX series just because of the reflections,you are better of with the cheaper EX400.

guys iam planning to buy sony nx400, but i have read it on the net that the panel gets busted in 2yrs time. is it a worth buy? plz advise

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back