Deciding on Home theatre Speaker/Subwoofers

eummagic

Hi all,

I have an Onkyo HTS-670, 5 x 100W RMS @ 8 Ohms (5yrs old) performing still at its best giving me all the ingredients when watching action movies and decent in music reproduction. Old listening/viewing room size [10ft(W) x 16ft(L) x 10ft(H)]

Now, I have my dedicated home theatre room very slowly shaping up (civil not yet ready) 14.6ft(W) x 21.6ft(L) x 10ft(H). I was just looking for an upgrade for my speakers since Iam planning for the Seymour AV AT DIY curved screen (130" diagonal - 2.37:1 ratio). Maybe after one year upgrading the AV Receiver.

I have auditioned PolkAudio, Klipsch, KEF, Wharfedale speakers and I like the dynamics of Klipsch - sorry my taste. Klipsch especially for movies, but music not good but OK. My usage is 80% movies 20% music which doesn't mean that I tolerate whatever it sounds when listening to music. Also, I prefer to use Bookshelf type since placing the speakers behind the screen is easier.

BUDGET=1.5L (not a penny more pls, this itself is at its extreme)

But, keeping my setup in mind I thought Klipsch would have a upper hand in performing better when coming to speaker placement behind the screen due to its brightness. Even though the manufacturer claims very less distortion thro' AT screen, technically there should be atleast a minimal. So, Klipsch in that case should balance the equation which is forward sounding.

The speakers I had shortlisted from Klipsch are...

Reference series:
1) Fronts - RB61
2) Centre - RC52
3) Surrounds - RS42 or 52 (depends on budget) - Here I prefer to have bi-polar speakers (Klipsch or any other)
4) Sub - ???

When choosing the Sub, Iam confused going thro' the specs between Klipsch Vs HSU. Pls see below...

246nz14.jpg

Klipsch specs seems powerful on whitepaper in terms of wattage but would like to know from members to share their experience with regard to HSU. I expect from a subwoofer is simple - giving powerful sound as well feel i.e feeling the bass on the chest. I am waiting for SVS subs to arrive (by Audire), but my gut feel is that it would be exceeding my budget.

Now, I require your expertise/suggestions for my kind of setup. I would also like to know if any other brands which suits my setup keeping in mind my budget line.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have been using the Hsu for quite some time. I am not sure I have ever heard it or felt it hit my chest. The Hsu is extremely fast and dies very quickly. The bass sound is accurate and there is never any artificial enhancement. It blends very easily with other speakers and you will forget it is even there. That is the way I like it.

If you are looking for a chest thumping bass, I am not sure whether even Klipsch will help you.

You should look for subs from Yamaha, PSB, and maybe, Deftech for chest thumping bass.

Cheers

I have been using the Hsu for quite some time. I am not sure I have ever heard it or felt it hit my chest. The Hsu is extremely fast and dies very quickly. The bass sound is accurate and there is never any artificial enhancement. It blends very easily with other speakers and you will forget it is even there. That is the way I like it.

If you are looking for a chest thumping bass, I am not sure whether even Klipsch will help you.

You should look for subs from Yamaha, PSB, and maybe, Deftech for chest thumping bass.

Cheers

Thanks venkat sir...I definitely agree as you said the way sub should sound. But, scenes that require shaking bass like explosions etc I would also like to feel the sound.

How do you compare both HSU vs Klipsch in terms of power. Which should suit my room size?

Can you pls give some dealer contacts for PSB, Deftech especially in Chennai.

Last edited:
How do you compare both HSU vs Klipsch in terms of power. Which should suit my room size?

Can you pls give some dealer contacts for PSB, Deftech especially in Chennai.

Compared to the Hsu, Klipsch (actually all subs) sound boomy to me. Subs such as Hsu, SVS etc have a tightness that is hard to beat.

As George said, the best is a personal audition. PSB and Deftech are dealt by Decibel in Chennai. Call Raghu and speak to him.

Cheers

Compared to the Hsu, Klipsch (actually all subs) sound boomy to me. Subs such as Hsu, SVS etc have a tightness that is hard to beat.

As George said, the best is a personal audition. PSB and Deftech are dealt by Decibel in Chennai. Call Raghu and speak to him.

Cheers

Thank you, Iam going to Chennai on 22nd and will definitely visit decibel.

As for Klipsch, I think now The Audio People are not dealing Klipsch any more when I called up a couple of weeks. And have to visit Coimbatore where Audire - HSU/SVS and Cinerama - Klipsch dealers are available. The second phase to be planned after my Chennai trip.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back