Dedicated Home Theatre Room plan

eummagic

Hi all,

Iam planning to construct a new house and also making my dream real by building a dedicated home theatre room in Cochin, Kerala.

I had earlier started a thread regarding anamorphic lens with 2.35:1 aspect ratio. During the process, I am able to short list Panasonic PT-AE4000 for its features & performance like anamorphic emulation, lens memory function, excellent color reproduction out of the box (if calibrated reference color) as per reviews floating in the net and yet not able to see a demo of the same. But, I have seen the demo of PT-AE2000 in Chennai 1 1/2 yrs back and impressed.

Now, here in Cochin I have contacted a local home theatre consultant from "Lal Media Arts" who are into film production, distribution and home theatre equipment seller and acoustic consultants. Some of the points are highlighted below from the discussion with this consultant.

1) Regarding my space for construction of my new house I have told the consultant that I can have a dedicated room of 11ft (wide) x 14ft(length) x 10ft (height). He suggested to have 12 ft (wide) & 16ft (length) if possible and if the room height can be 12ft (height) since when doing acoustics he will need 2ft so ultimately the room would be 10ft after completion.

2) The screen 103" (2.35:1) as planned by me is possible. He told ideally the screen should start 3 to 3 1/2ft from the floor. So, that was the reason of having a 12ft (height) which will give the right visualisation and spacing.
As per calculation:
Room height: 12ft
Acoustic treatment space from ceiling: 2ft
Screen height (incl frame) : 3.88ft
From floor to screen: 3.6ft
Balance free space: 2.52ft

3) For flooring he suggested for wooden flooring instead of carpeting, because this room would be the ideal entertainment room for all including kids. So, there is always a chance of minute dust collecting even though it is cleaned regularly. So, this can cause allergy/health issue to kids.

4) Regarding the side wall acoustic material he told that he wouldn't use Gypsum boards again due to health/allergy reasons and would use a similar material known as pebble (felt like thick thermocol but not breakable).

5) For cabling, he told that he would not compromise on quality and he is mostly using Chord cable for speakers/av connectors which gives more life span.

6) As for seating, he told that we can have a one row seat where 3 or 4 people can sit comfortably at the back and then have diwan like arrangement in the middle or using bean bag.

7) As for equipment rack it can be placed on the rear above 4 or 5 feet from the floor. So that the HDMI cable length can be well within the reach of the projector instead of going for 10mt/15mt cabling.

8) According to his suggestion, windows is not required but since this is a home theatre and not professional studio you can have atleast 1 on either side of the walls as shown below.
OUTSIDE
ael2q1.jpg

INSIDE ROOM
W=Window, opeining outside. Can have dark colored glass for windows and also dark curtains between the inner wall gap.

9) He is totally against LCD projectors and he was suggesting me DLP.

Can you pls give your comments made by the consultant...

Last edited:
Please be guided that your consultant on various points is not in order, there are members on this forum, who know much better.

V.

About the room dimension size, i feel your consultant is in the right direction, but one of the major areas where people are falling in trap, when they do not have larger room lengths, anything short of 20 feet, is not worth making a theatre, the idle length of the room should be around 25/30 feet.

About wooden flooring, i think it is not a good idea, and about dust collecting on carpets, it is no big deal, there are best of vacuum cleaners available in the market, but yes if one does not clean the things then even a taj mahal will gather dust.

For acoustics to use something like thermocal, i have not heard about, there are other options as discussed on this forum.

About the cables, even the cheaper quality of cables will last way above a decade but indeed a fair quality is must.

To have seats and diwan for the seating, is surely not a good idea, the best way out is good seating's designed to watch movies.

Th equipment rack can easily be placed in a one feet height, in most of the cases hdmi cable to the projector will be longer, i do not know how one can have a shorter cable.

It is completely wrong to say that window is not fine for a dedicated theatre, without the windows there are much better benefits.

Finally there are several other issues which have to be handled while making a dedicated theatre which are discussed on this forum on regular basis.

Best of luck for the long tough journey ahead, if planned well, the end result is going to be worth every drop.

V.

Last edited:
Eumagic, Good luck with your project. What about the audio part? Have you already picked up the stuff? Or is it the next phase?

Vinay, I knew you would reach here! You are no less than an expert in this matter, so pl elaborate what you find lacking in the plan.

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for your inputs. Like in many forums I felt using carpet flooring an ideal way to home theatre than wooden floor. And regarding the wall acoustics it is actually not thermocol but the consultant told it is called pebble material. When I touched I felt like thick thermocol but it is foldable like a rubber sheet (Iam exactly not able to describe that material). Regarding cabling, I too felt going for a descent quality instead of the premium segment.

The consultant is totally against LCD proj and I have asked him to see reviews of Pana 4000 so he understands.

Regarding seating arrangement I would like to have a 'U' shaped arrangement instead of the row type. And have bean bags so that viewers can sit wherever they feel comfortable.

Your suggestion regarding room dimension with regard to my plan pls...

About the room dimension size, i feel your consultant is in the right direction, but one of the major areas where people are falling in trap, when they do not have larger room lengths, anything short of 20 feet, is not worth making a theatre, the idle length of the room should be around 25/30 feet.

About wooden flooring, i think it is not a good idea, and about dust collecting on carpets, it is no big deal, there are best of vacuum cleaners available in the market, but yes if one does not clean the things then even a taj mahal will gather dust.

For acoustics to use something like thermocal, i have not heard about, there are other options as discussed on this forum.

About the cables, even the cheaper quality of cables will last way above a decade but indeed a fair quality is must.

To have seats and diwan for the seating, is surely not a good idea, the best way out is good seating's designed to watch movies.

Th equipment rack can easily be placed in a one feet height, in most of the cases hdmi cable to the projector will be longer, i do not know how one can have a shorter cable.

It is completely wrong to say that window is fine for a dedicated theatre, without the windows there are much better benefits.

Finally there are several other issues which have to be handled while making a dedicated theatre which are discussed on this forum on regular basis.

Best of luck for the long tough journey ahead, if planned well, the end result is going to be worth every drop.

V.

Hi iaudio,

Currently having Onkyo HTS-670 and Popcorn Hour A-110 (Networked media HD player with 1TB HDD) to start with.

The audio upgradation would be in the next phase.

Eumagic, Good luck with your project. What about the audio part? Have you already picked up the stuff? Or is it the next phase?

Vinay, I knew you would reach here! You are no less than an expert in this matter, so pl elaborate what you find lacking in the plan.

1. room size suggested by consultant is obviously better if you can make space for it.

3. Flooring carpet is good but wood is also fine. The use of carpet needs a lot of care. If this area is going to be lounge as well where you drink and eat while watching / listening, then imagine them falling on the carpet. With carpet food and beverages are a no-no. Thus I have gone for wooden flooring.

5. Chord cables are not necessary. In my opinion any decent cables are good enough. You can look at Bandridge, DAC etc..

6. Seating in rows is more for a dedicated Cinema Room. For a more casual feel the U-shaped one or recliners with diwan in front is better.

7. Bringing the equipment rack from 5 Feet above the ground to 2 feet only adds just 1 metre to the length of HDMI cable. HDMI Cable is more determined by the location of the AV Rack in the room. If it is in front near screen then long lengths are needed. if it is at the rear near PJ then small length is ok. The height has nothing much to do with length of HDMI cable.

8. Window if absolutely necessary for ventilation can be covered with thick curtains.

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for your inputs. Like in many forums I felt using carpet flooring an ideal way to home theatre than wooden floor. And regarding the wall acoustics it is actually not thermocol but the consultant told it is called pebble material. When I touched I felt like thick thermocol but it is foldable like a rubber sheet (Iam exactly not able to describe that material). Regarding cabling, I too felt going for a descent quality instead of the premium segment.

The consultant is totally against LCD proj and I have asked him to see reviews of Pana 4000 so he understands.

Regarding seating arrangement I would like to have a 'U' shaped arrangement instead of the row type. And have bean bags so that viewers can sit wherever they feel comfortable.

Last edited:
It will be good if you consider carpet since you are having a dedicated room. About thermocal type acoustic, i think it is better you go for which other forum members have gone for.

I do not think there can be a case for being completely against a lcd projector unless the consultant has a vested interest. I can assure you that at times when we have consultants our ideas, creativity, and our research is pushed back wards.

About seating arrangements u type will have it's share of problems, show us the drawing to check. The bean bag concept in long run is not going to work, imagine seeing a movie on a bean bag, the comfort level will drop and there will be un-easy back issue.

V.

Hi Vinay,

Hello Raghav,

Indeed if in the dedicated entertainment room if you are going to eat, drink, like you do in a living room then one has to go for a wooden flooring but then for that matter it would be okay with the original marble flooring. For the sake of better effects etc, i think carpet is the way to go forwad. One can always have intervals and come in living room to have their snacks, etc.

I believe the thread starter is making a dedicated room therefore he qualifies for mini row/s. The diwan is likely to look shabby and the comfort level is going to drop, what about the back rest?

In my case there is no question to have windows for ventilation, in the morning's i keep my mini theatre's entrance door open for a hour or so, my job is done. If one has windows in a dedicated theatre room, the class of such a room will drop like nine pins. With no windows there is no question of dust, or in rainy season by error the windows being left open.

V.

1. room size suggested by consultant is obviously better if you can make space for it.

3. Flooring carpet is good but wood is also fine. The use of carpet needs a lot of care. If this area is going to be lounge as well where you drink and eat while watching / listening, then imagine them falling on the carpet. With carpet food and beverages are a no-no. Thus I have gone for wooden flooring.

5. Chord cables are not necessary. In my opinion any decent cables are good enough. You can look at Bandridge, DAC etc..

6. Seating in rows is more for a dedicated Cinema Room. For a more casual feel the U-shaped one or recliners with diwan in front is better.

7. Bringing the equipment rack from 5 Feet above the ground to 2 feet only adds just 1 metre to the length of HDMI cable. HDMI Cable is more determined by the location of the AV Rack in the room. If it is in front near screen then long lengths are needed. if it is at the rear near PJ then small length is ok. The height has nothing much to do with length of HDMI cable.

8. Window is absolutely necessary for ventilation can be covered with thick curtains.

Last edited:
Hi Vinay,

Whatever I have said is applicable to non-dedicated Home Theaters. Most of us do have the dedication which you have given to your HT.

I too believe that carpet is the best for the room, but only if the OP does not plan on having food & beverages in the room. For me Movies rarely happen without popcorn and soft drink. Sometimes I will use the room for Cricket, Football matches with a group. On such occasions lots of F&B is needed and also row seating is not very good. Diwan gives opportunity for the group to interact with each other during the game. Thus flowed my thoughts on Seating and flooring.

However, if OP needs a HT as dedicated as yours and he is willing to keep it only for that purpose, then no compromise. Row Seating and Carpet is the way to go. Also then he should avoid having the window.

Raghav

Hello Raghav,

Indeed if in the dedicated entertainment room if you are going to eat, drink, like you do in a living room then one has to go for a wooden flooring but then for that matter it would be okay with the original marble flooring because one would not stop to eat and drink, maybe they will have a dance party or card sessions, etc.

I believe the thread starter is making a dedicated room therefore he qualifies for mini row/s. The diwan in likely to look shabby and the comfort level is going to drop, what about the back rest?

In my case there is no question to have windows for ventilation, in the morning's i keep my mini theatre's entrance door open for a hour or so, my job is done. If one has windows in a dedicated theatre room, the class of such a room will drop like nine pins. With no windows there is no question of dust, or in rainy season by error the windows being left open.

V.

Thanks for your inputs, I have a constraint of space since my plot is only 3.67 cents. My house would be ground + first floor. Iam planning to have my dedicated room above the car porch which was intentionally left as open terrace by my engineer. That is the space that Iam planning to convert as room for which the size as mentioned earlier 11ft (wide) x 14 ft (length). Regarding ceiling height I can adjust accordingly. This room would be in mezzanine floor.

Or the other option would be construct a room based on your specs as third floor. Accessability for me, wife & kids are not a problem. But considering my parents they have climb two floors to see a movie. Iam trying to work out with my engineer to modify the length to 16ft from 14ft. Will this add any comfort?

Most of the consultants are extremely egoistic and have their heads stuck in the sky! They are also hand-in-glove with Architects, Construction people, Interior designers & other contractors for their mutual benefits at the cost of the client.

For a room that would give you minimal acoustical problems, you are advised to stick to the "Golden Ratio" which would be [ 1.00 : 1.60 : 2.30 ]; i.e. 10 Ft Height x 16 Ft Width x 23 Ft Length. If you increase the ceiling height to 12 Ft, ideally you should be doing : 12 Ft Height x 19 Ft Width x 28 Ft Length which is approx 532 Sq Ft.

IMO - this is too much and you would require lots of amplification power from your amplifiers and extra heavy-duty subwoofers (maybe a pair) to fully energize a room size of 530 Sq Ft. On top of that, you would be required to install approx 4Tons of air-conditioning @ 1T per 120 Sq Ft. These are all Tall figures to meet.

If I were you, I would go with the 12 Ft Ceiling height but keep the Width at 16 Ft and Length at 23 Ft which is manageable as its around 370 Sq Ft. Air-conditioning also would now be 3T with 2 x 1.5T units strategically placed - one in the front half and the other in the rear half of the room.

In India with its weather conditions and esp. Cochin being a coastal place, having a window or Two is a must. At some point, one MUST open the window/s and let in fresh air and sunlight into the room or else it would become a haven for insects and fungus.

For the floor, I would have a concrete floor to start with and possibly do Wood only around the seating section of the room where it is likely to have greater footfalls. Similarly, the Entrance door to the room should be in the 2nd half seating section of the room where flooring would be wood. The rest of the concrete flooring should be carpeted wall-to-wall.

For cables, at pre-construction stage, along the skirting I would install a 3-inch Cable Trench which should be accessible at anytime for any maintenance or upgrades.

Good Luck!

Sorry to interfere...

I welcome Raghav's inputs as well Vinay's. The debate is opening more ideas to me and thanks for a solid discussiion.

I haven't thought about eating & viewing movies but I like that idea too but then at home we have a dedicated dining so why should I spoil my dedicated room. As Raghav said, I would like to have atleast one window (design as mentioned earlier in my first post) with thick curtains. So, in case I need natural light to come inside I can use the window.

As for seating arrangement, I will go for the row seating type with atleast one row with a seating for 4. And have bean bags for casual seating according to ones preference.

Hello Raghav,

Indeed if in the dedicated entertainment room if you are going to eat, drink, like you do in a living room then one has to go for a wooden flooring but then for that matter it would be okay with the original marble flooring. For the sake of better effects etc, i think carpet is the way to go forwad. One can always have intervals and come in living room to have their snacks, etc.

I believe the thread starter is making a dedicated room therefore he qualifies for mini row/s. The diwan is likely to look shabby and the comfort level is going to drop, what about the back rest?

V.

I totally agree very strongly with Vinay on all his findings.In the case of lcd vs dlp projector i think the consultant is trying to sell u a dlp projector.I have seen the performance of the AE-4000,dont think twice u have made the right decision.it is a must buy.

As far as seating is concerned raghav is also right,but I personally feel that when u are investing so much then why not do it in a proper way.Diwans and bean bags would certainly look out of place.Have recliners custom made locally according to your taste.Dont worry it would not cost u a bomb.

I really could not understand this pebble material,talk to ur consultant about it and be very clear about its properties.I have never heard about something like this.Also enlighten me on this if u come to know more about it.

All the best...Good luck.

I had wrongly written in a previous post
"8. Window is absolutely necessary for ventilation can be covered with thick curtains."

I meant the following
"8. Window if absolutely necessary for ventilation can be covered with thick curtains."

How one letter can change the entire meaning of the sentence. Vinay, you must have thought I have gone mad because when I met you I said that no windows is ideal. I fact no windows in my HT. The post has also been edited.

Raghav

Ok, I will go as per you guys say for the seating arrangement. As for projector, Iam convinced with the reviews of pana4000 and the demo seen of its earlier predecessor pana2000.

Say, if I try the DIY acoustics by procurring materials and using my local carpenter and constructing based on the exact specs. Will this be perfect?

If so, here in Cochin or in Chennai are there any dealers who sell these acoustics materials. So that based on cost I can choose and construct.

I totally agree very strongly with Vinay on all his findings.In the case of lcd vs dlp projector i think the consultant is trying to sell u a dlp projector.I have seen the performance of the AE-4000,dont think twice u have made the right decision.it is a must buy.

As far as seating is concerned raghav is also right,but I personally feel that when u are investing so much then why not do it in a proper way.Diwans and bean bags would certainly look out of place.Have recliners custom made locally according to your taste.Dont worry it would not cost u a bomb.

I really could not understand this pebble material,talk to ur consultant about it and be very clear about its properties.I have never heard about something like this.Also enlighten me on this if u come to know more about it.

All the best...Good luck.

Hello Raghav,

Indeed in a non dedicated home theatre there are no pure movie, music or projector based ethics and i do understand many of them prefer it this way as they have the urge to do several things under the roof though they may have opportunities to conduct them in the other room.

However i think you will see 75% of the time movies, and watch matches on tv for not over 25% of the time, so will it be worth to put the diwans? Furtheromore the 25% of the times you will watch tv, i think you will not have always the guests, this way also the diwan purpose reduces.

V.

Hi Vinay,

Whatever I have said is applicable to non-dedicated Home Theaters. Most of us do have the dedication which you have given to your HT.

I too believe that carpet is the best for the room, but only if the OP does not plan on having food & beverages in the room. For me Movies rarely happen without popcorn and soft drink. Sometimes I will use the room for Cricket, Football matches with a group. On such occasions lots of F&B is needed and also row seating is not very good. Diwan gives opportunity for the group to interact with each other during the game. Thus flowed my thoughts on Seating and flooring.

However, if OP needs a HT as dedicated as yours and he is willing to keep it only for that purpose, then no compromise. Row Seating and Carpet is the way to go. Also then he should avoid having the window.

Raghav

Last edited:
It is very true for your writing on consultants and architects, the architects may be good with home interiors but rarely do they stand a chance to get it right for home theatres, that too for the dedicated one's, unless they have handled such jobs. Indeed there are exceptions where one does get good people in all fields. I am confident that there are members like you and others at this forum who are quite good with their knowledge on home theatres, we as members can beat the consultants and architects in a big way by making a brilliant home theatre.

In my case i am using a Hitachi air condition of 2 tons and it is cooling my mini theatre in a very good way, the area being 23 X 11 feet, and my set up is well enough to fill the room with sound including the lower frequencies of sub woofer. However it is true more bigger the room, the cost increases for acoustics and interiors too, so moral of the story is that it would not cost one more then additional 2 lacs, if the room length is increased from 16 feet, to about 26 feet, but what you will get in return is mind blowing, a much dynamic theatre experience within your own house.

In my case there are no windows in my mini theatre, but so far there has been no insects or fungus, this could be because i keep my theatre's door open daily for an hour or so and vacum the carpet on regular basis.

V.

Most of the consultants are extremely egoistic and have their heads stuck in the sky! They are also hand-in-glove with Architects, Construction people, Interior designers & other contractors for their mutual benefits at the cost of the client.

For a room that would give you minimal acoustical problems, you are advised to stick to the "Golden Ratio" which would be [ 1.00 : 1.60 : 2.30 ]; i.e. 10 Ft Height x 16 Ft Width x 23 Ft Length. If you increase the ceiling height to 12 Ft, ideally you should be doing : 12 Ft Height x 19 Ft Width x 28 Ft Length which is approx 532 Sq Ft.

IMO - this is too much and you would require lots of amplification power from your amplifiers and extra heavy-duty subwoofers (maybe a pair) to fully energize a room size of 530 Sq Ft. On top of that, you would be required to install approx 4Tons of air-conditioning @ 1T per 120 Sq Ft. These are all Tall figures to meet.

If I were you, I would go with the 12 Ft Ceiling height but keep the Width at 16 Ft and Length at 23 Ft which is manageable as its around 370 Sq Ft. Air-conditioning also would now be 3T with 2 x 1.5T units strategically placed - one in the front half and the other in the rear half of the room.

In India with its weather conditions and esp. Cochin being a coastal place, having a window or Two is a must. At some point, one MUST open the window/s and let in fresh air and sunlight into the room or else it would become a haven for insects and fungus.

For the floor, I would have a concrete floor to start with and possibly do Wood only around the seating section of the room where it is likely to have greater footfalls. Similarly, the Entrance door to the room should be in the 2nd half seating section of the room where flooring would be wood. The rest of the concrete flooring should be carpeted wall-to-wall.

For cables, at pre-construction stage, along the skirting I would install a 3-inch Cable Trench which should be accessible at anytime for any maintenance or upgrades.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
With every additional feet you can manage, nothing like it. I broke my bathroom to get the additional 8 feet or so.

About your respective parents, if they are going to see less movies, and if they do not have any knee issue, then it is better you consider the 3rd floor.

V.

Thanks for your inputs, I have a constraint of space since my plot is only 3.67 cents. My house would be ground + first floor. Iam planning to have my dedicated room above the car porch which was intentionally left as open terrace by my engineer. That is the space that Iam planning to convert as room for which the size as mentioned earlier 11ft (wide) x 14 ft (length). Regarding ceiling height I can adjust accordingly. This room would be in mezzanine floor.

Or the other option would be construct a room based on your specs as third floor. Accessability for me, wife & kids are not a problem. But considering my parents they have climb two floors to see a movie. Iam trying to work out with my engineer to modify the length to 16ft from 14ft. Will this add any comfort?

If you will do the accoustics yourself, there will be many members who can take you through but you will have to invest in planning, time and patience and to source the material shall be no big deal.

V.

Ok, I will go as per you guys say for the seating arrangement. As for projector, Iam convinced with the reviews of pana4000 and the demo seen of its earlier predecessor pana2000.

Say, if I try the DIY acoustics by procurring materials and using my local carpenter and constructing based on the exact specs. Will this be perfect?

If so, here in Cochin or in Chennai are there any dealers who sell these acoustics materials. So that based on cost I can choose and construct.

I think I will be considering my dedicated room on the 3rd floor. If that is the case. Can I have a 12ft(wide) x 18ft(lenght) x 12ft(height) room?
With every additional feet you can manage, nothing like it. I broke my bathroom to get the additional 8 feet or so.

About your respective parents, if they are going to see less movies, and if they do not have any knee issue, then it is better you consider the 3rd floor.

V.
BTW, I would like to ask how you have done your acoustics, using your own skills or by a consultant, because it looks awesome!

Iam ready for DIY acoustics and would like to have a step by step guide from scratch including the list of materials for ceiling, side walls, floor etc.

If you will do the accoustics yourself, there will be many members who can take you through but you will have to invest in planning, time and patience and to source the material shall be no big deal.

V.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back