Dedicated room done recently

Naturelover

Staff member
PLANNING AND INITIAL WORK

Recently our long-held dream turned real when we shifted to our own house which includes a dedicated HT/HiFi room.
This room houses both the stereo and the home theatre. Both setups are fully independent.
Room size is 23.5 x 14 x 11.5 feet.
I guess it would have been better if I had run the thread as the project progressed. Please do excuse me for not doing that. So, here it is in toto.

I had asked the architect for a room 15-16 feet wide and 24 feet long. Managed to get quite close to that in the final plan :).
After considering many layouts of the room, settled on this one.
For practical purposes, a store won over a bar with serving counter ;). The bar went into the cabinetry next to the HT gear.

01 HT plan view.jpg

I had initially toyed with the idea of building a basement for the HT room but gave up due to high cost. It was just as well since the water table here is pretty high due to a nearby lake. Finally, it was constructed on the top (second) floor.

I have been through numerous threads on the forum and have enlisted the help of several members to get to the final design. Eternally grateful to them.
Things like room size, colours, speaker configuration, screen size and construction, cabling, etc.

All the wiring has been run through the floor, walls or the ceiling.

02.jpg

03.jpg

I have used most of my old AV equipment. Only the HT speakers are changed.

Done a bit of automation also through Fibaro and Alexa.

Cabinets for HT gear, vinyl records and CDs/BDs/DVDs, etc were made to specification in plywood and laminate.
I also have my work PC in the same room which is indeed a blessing for me.

04.jpeg

11A.jpg 05B.jpg

06 Ceiling.jpg

Room colours had to be dark but not too dark since this is also a hifi listening room as well as a work space. So decided on a medium dark grey for walls, laminates and carpet. Ceiling and screen wall are quite a bit darker.

07 Wall colour test.jpg 08 Ceiling colour test.jpg

12 Ceiling paint.jpg

Continued in next post....

THE SCREEN

A lot of thought and work went into the screen size and design. It is 150” 16:9 with a viewing distance of 14 feet.

The screen is a fixed one with spandex cloth mounted on a frame. Thanks to elangoas and kannan for guiding and helping me here. It’s three layers of spandex, two white and one black. These are stapled to the frame. Spandex being acoustically transparent, I have the fronts and centre speakers behind the screen.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-acoustic-transparent-screen.67092/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/a-stingy-7-2-4-ht-set-up-in-a-living-room.78211/

The screen frame is hinged at the top to a base frame which is fixed to the wall. This gives super easy access to the front and centre speakers. I got this idea from Youthman on YouTube. Most of us will know of Youthman who is so prolific on YouTube with his videos relating to HT.

See links in attached text sheet.

13 Screen frame design.jpg

14 Screen frame 1.jpg

16 Screen frame 3.jpg

17 Screen base frame done, 22 Feb 2020.jpeg

18 Screen frame 5.jpg

19 Screen final.jpg

Continued in next post....

Attachments

• 17 Screen base frame done, 22 Feb 2020.jpeg
    17 Screen base frame done, 22 Feb 2020.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 18 Screen frame 5.jpg
    18 Screen frame 5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Youthman links.txt
    104 bytes · Views: 11
THE FINAL LOOK

The projector is placed in a box mounted on the wall opposite the screen giving a throw distance of around 21 feet which my Epson EH-TW8100 is, fortunately, quite capable of handling.

Currently I am using my old Pioneer SC-LX57 AVR which does not have Atmos or DTX. Am totally happy with it, though I have done speaker cabling for Atmos in case I do plan to have it in the future.

I have installed an Emerson Liebert online UPS for the stereo and the projector (to avoid abrupt power off). This is placed outside of the room near the main board of the area. Initially I had placed it inside the room but the fan noise was a bit distracting. Fortunately, I was able to shift it out of the room.

AND BINGO!! :cool:

22.jpg
The stereo is seen installed. One issue is that I need to move the speakers outward for movies and inward for music.
But I have now gotten used to it. The speakers are on Herbie's Gliders so move fairly easily.

Final 2.jpg

23 Close up.jpg

24 HT electronics.jpg 25 Ceiling strip lights.jpg

Congrats on a great room and setup.

I see that you have placed the surround speakers on something. The ones below are even better at absorption.

https://www.bajaao.com/products/ada...ad-for-studio-monitors?variant=39799958438067

Also, have you provided for Atmos speakers ? I can't see it in the room. Two in the ceiling should be better than two surround back speakers.

Edit: Read that speaker cabling is done for Atmos.

Last edited:
Can you pl share the physical dimensions of the screen... will the DALI's produce that kind of SPL for your room?

Can you pl share the physical dimensions of the screen... will the DALI's produce that kind of SPL for your room?
It's 136" x 79".
150" at 16:9 translates to 130.7" x 73.5". Have built slightly larger for borders but haven't yet done that.

Yes, the Dalis are enough for my requirements of sane decibel levels :D .
Ya, it's quite enough.

Thanks a lot guys.

Rajiv ji many many congratulations. This is a place to dream for us, the audiophiles and music/ movie lovers. Please keep posting and enjoy movies and music
Lovely! Enjoy your movies and music.
Wow, congratulations. A dream for many like me here.
Well explained post. Thank you. Now it's time to enjoy the movies and great music.
Wow congratulations. The room setup looks fantastic.

MaSh

THE FINAL LOOK

The projector is placed in a box mounted on the wall opposite the screen giving a throw distance of around 21 feet which my Epson EH-TW8100 is, fortunately, quite capable of handling.

Currently I am using my old Pioneer SC-LX57 AVR which does not have Atmos or DTX. Am totally happy with it, though I have done speaker cabling for Atmos in case I do plan to have it in the future.

I have installed an Emerson Liebert online UPS for the stereo and the projector (to avoid abrupt power off). This is placed outside of the room near the main board of the area. Initially I had placed it inside the room but the fan noise was a bit distracting. Fortunately, I was able to shift it out of the room.

View attachment 59660
The stereo is seen installed. One issue is that I need to move the speakers outward for movies and inward for music.
But I have now gotten used to it. The speakers are on Herbie's Gliders so move fairly easily.

View attachment 59656

View attachment 59657

View attachment 59658 View attachment 59659
Fantastic Rajiv.Congrats.
Suddenly Nagpur seems to be only 250 kms away.

THE FINAL LOOK

View attachment 59660
But I have now gotten used to it. The speakers are on Herbie's Gliders so move fairl
THE FINAL LOOK

View attachment 59660

View attachment 59656

View attachment 59657

View attachment 59658 View attachment 59659
Congratulations on a beautiful room and setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back