Defective panel on new X90H 55 Inch sony denying replacement

We had to reject this letter since we did purchase the TV on emi so i guess that is a finance scheme, what do you guys make of the letter ?

Sony-indenmity-letter.jpg
Don't sign it,they can't indemnify against a future defect/problem which you can't predict.This is totally wrong.

We had to reject this letter since we did purchase the TV on emi so i guess that is a finance scheme, what do you guys make of the letter ?

It looks like a procedural thing to me.
You are indemnifying sony for disposal of your defective tv, and that no claim will be made later by any party for the defective tv.
No problem even if it's under emi. Problem will arise only if you default on your loan and the financer try to confiscate the product and sue sony for disposing off the item.
Ensure that defective tv serial number is mentioned in the subject line.
Hope others can chip in as well.

You have put up your issue on social media but not on Twitter. Tag @Sony_India, which has been suggested by FM Panditji and Bloom@83. The response on twitter is almost immediate. Emails and toll free numbers are almost ignored. Don't worry about the 200 words limit on twitter. You can always make it into parts like 1/2, 2/2 or even 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 so on and it will become 1000 words and you can thoroughly explain your problem. Besides you can add the photos which you have added here.
Try twitter once.
Regards

The "subjected set" is the current TV that you have. They have clearly said in the letter that you are indemnifying Sony from anyone else [aka any finance company - if you have taken a loan to purchase it] putting in a claim to Sony for the "subjected set" - so, that line is nothing to worry about. What you should be pointing out is the line which says "I am fully satisfied with discount on new purchase..." - ask them what discount they are giving since there is no new purchase. If no discount is given and no new purchase then that line should be removed and they will if you point it out to them in temperate language. They are NOT asking you to indemnify them for any future defect that may arise in the replacement like people have been pointing out.
It looks like a procedural thing to me.
You are indemnifying sony for disposal of your defective tv, and that no claim will be made later by any party for the defective tv.
No problem even if it's under emi. Problem will arise only if you default on your loan and the financer try to confiscate the product and sue sony for disposing off the item.
Ensure that defective tv serial number is mentioned in the subject line.
Correct!

I don't see anything suspicious here. Samsung did not ask for any letter from me when they provided me full refund for a defective plasma tv in 2012. May be, it's a Sony policy to ask for such letter. Other members, who had got their sony TVs replaced, can comment on whether or not they signed such letter.

I don't find this very suspicious. Basically they're saying that the old set is getting replaced and you can't claim any more against the old defective set. It says nothing about indemnity from issues with the new set. I'd accept it.
Also, Credit card loans are unsecured so you are the full owner of the set irrespective of it being financed by EMI.

The "subjected set" is the current TV that you have. They have clearly said in the letter that you are indemnifying Sony from anyone else [aka any finance company - if you have taken a loan to purchase it] putting in a claim to Sony for the "subjected set" - so, that line is nothing to worry about. What you should be pointing out is the line which says "I am fully satisfied with discount on new purchase..." - ask them what discount they are giving since there is no new purchase. If no discount is given and no new purchase then that line should be removed and they will if you point it out to them in temperate language. They are NOT asking you to indemnify them for any future defect that may arise in the replacement like people have been pointing out.

Correct!
If the another replacement turns out faulty which seems to be a common panel trend then if i have given the indemnity letter will i still be eligible for a rufund on the amount. It was pruchased with bajaj emi option. How would the refund work in such a scenario, we paid around 32,000rs. when we purchased it

If the another replacement turns out faulty which seems to be a common panel trend then if i have given the indemnity letter will i still be eligible for a rufund on the amount. It was pruchased with bajaj emi option. How would the refund work in such a scenario, we paid around 32,000rs. when we purchased it
No you won't. Thats exactly what I have stated.. bro pls read my post on indemnity

Now that Sony says that its a defective set, why don't you just ask for full refund or a 1k or 2k deduction (as a friendly gesture from your side ;)) and close this issue once for all.
Buy a brand new TV of your choice, instead of worrying about any clauses/issues with the replaced Sony TV

AFA letter is concerned, you should get "I am fully satisfied... " line deleted.

Do TV manufacturers provide a refund ever? Does this particular TV's warranty work that way? You will be eligible for whatever it states in the warranty terms. If your warranty provides for a refund then since they have accepted that it is a defect why don't you exercise the option of the refund, claim the money and get out of this situation completely?

No you won't. Thats exactly what I have stated.. bro pls read my post on indemnity
Yes i have read your comment but then 2-3 people are replying here that indemnity is only for the particular model disposal. I don't want to sign but sony haven't said anything about a refund. Meanwhile the 30 day replacement period is ticking. We don't want to be stuck with this particular proven dud TV withfaulty panel.

I too lack any knowledge on how refund works with bajaj emi. Since we have paid around rs. 32000 and remaining will be cut from emi installments. We will talk it out with bajaj but currently vijay sales too has some stakes in this i guess so they too are dealing in the matter.

EMI seems to be a very bad payment option for customers if things go south. Never did i face such a tedious replacement procedure. Where the matter should be between me and sony has vultures like bajaj and vijay sales hovering for the TV set

>>> Meanwhile the 30 day replacement period is ticking.

What is this 30 day replacement period you are mentioning time and again?
Don't we have 1 year replacement warranty on any TVs we purchase?

Correct!

+1 to this interpretation. Nowhere in this letter does it mention that replacement would lead to any voidance of warranty of replaced set.
Having said that , I’d also suggest getting the refund and extricate yourself out from this situation altogether.
Although I’ve never heard of Sony or any other the other biggies providing refund, ever.

Although I’ve never heard of Sony or any other the other biggies providing refund, ever.
I know a friend to whom Samsung refunded the amount he paid for LCD TV when the panel started showing horizontal scratch lines after 2 years of usage.
In his case, panel is under warranty and manufacturing of that particular TV model was stopped.

My opinion would be on the lines of those who recommend to take a refund ' if at all possible '... and move out of this namely for 2 reasons -
# you don't have to stress yourself in future if the next unit turns faulty of the same model and then having another go around with them.
# you have already taken an immense dislike towards Sony and its after sales service and going forth you are going to be apprehensive again.
All the best

Last edited:
>>> Meanwhile the 30 day replacement period is ticking.

What is this 30 day replacement period you are mentioning time and again?
Don't we have 1 year replacement warranty on any TVs we purchase?
Idk nothing was clearly mentioned at the time of purchase but in general from what i had learnt from some shops at the time of purchase is that replacement period is 1 month then after that companies repair individual part or replace individual parts and don't provide a direct replacement of the TV. If i have 1 year replacement then i too can be relaxed but seeing nothing clear is mentioned by these companies as to have their own way with indian consumers.

I know a friend to whom Samsung refunded the amount he paid for LCD TV when the panel started showing horizontal scratch lines after 2 years of usage.
In his case, panel is under warranty and manufacturing of that particular TV model was stopped.
That’s good to hear !

Idk nothing was clearly mentioned at the time of purchase but in general from what i had learnt from some shops at the time of purchase is that replacement period is 1 month then after that companies repair individual part or replace individual parts and don't provide a direct replacement of the TV. If i have 1 year replacement then i too can be relaxed but seeing nothing clear is mentioned by these companies as to have their own way with indian consumers.
I have had a cousin heading Samsung's service network in India who has once told me that defective TVs are taken back and new TVs given in place and at the same time the good parts of the defective pieces are used for repairs and replacements of spare parts in other TVs. For instance if out of four parts three parts are working, the three would be used as spare parts for repairs of other such sets that are brought in. Similarly, they would have an inventory of Mickey mouse TVs in their line, that are used for replacements. So don't worry. Sony will have similar set up too for replacements.

Look at your thread title. It has "denying replacement" in it. And when you're getting a replacement, you are talking about a refund. You cannot keep shifting the goal post. Be realistically clear in your mind what you want [A] and what you will settle for and work in that direction. If A doesn't work out work towards B.

As for the letter, you will get multiple interpretations of it depending on what one understands from the language in it or what one wants to understand from it. Take your pick.

Warranty terms are clearly specified in writing - one just has to read them. If something is not specified then it does not exist.

It's harrowing to go through what you did but you will get [are getting?] what you want just as long as you don't overthink or overcomplicate this.

I hope things work out for you!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back