Demo experience - Panasonic V20/ST30/X30 Samsung D490/D550

so overall ST is generally much better than VT's in some areas

Consider this

VT>GT>ST

VT is the flagship model of panasonic in plasma division.

I havent got much info into GT . But on comparison , GT and ST differs in

1.) THX mode and advanced color setting in GT

other than that both have same panel and all other features.

Althought VT30 (2011) have infinite pro 2 filters , while GT,ST(2011) have just infinite pro panels.

Can someone confirm what's the best, considering only hathway (or cable) based 'SD' signal..

ST30/VT30 (50")? or Sam D6600 (46" though). I am debating them (was considering LG also but didn't like it after demo).

I can't see demo of VT20 though?

Today I got call from Croma that VT20 back in stock, I will have to finalyze soon.

Thanks.

Can someone confirm what's the best, considering only hathway (or cable) based 'SD' signal..

ST30/VT30 (50")? or Sam D6600 (46" though). I am debating them (was considering LG also but didn't like it after demo).

I can't see demo of VT20 though?

Today I got call from Croma that VT20 back in stock, I will have to finalyze soon.

Thanks.

For Hathway SD, Samsung D490 or D550 plasmas are the best.
Samsung D6000 LED is good if you have a bright living room and will be around 85k. Dont go for 6600 if you dont need the extra features.

Hi

If budget is not a constraint, which of the TVs compared is best. Could you rate them in a descending order?

TIA

Rajesh

Finally, had the demo of the above TVs together in the same shop for 2 hours.

Observations below. All TVs with every setting set to 0 (50 for samsung)

Panasonic ST30.

Seeing the infinite black pro in action in bright light conditions for the first time. Literally floored by the black levels it can produce in the bright light.

- Very minimal screen reflection
- A very dark panel
- Colour reproduction a bit over-saturated in normal mode.. Looks LCD-ish in certain scenes
- Fine detail reproduction is above average but not excellent. Football crowd/other fine details did not seem as clear as in say V20
- Everything else is on par with the V20.

V20

Was in the same position as I saw and loved it last year.. But less black with ST30 right next to it. (Thanks to inferior filter)

- Very minimal to no screen reflection (reflection handling is better than ST30)
- NOT as black as ST30 in bright light. Not washed out either.
- More natural colours and better details compared to ST30.
- An year old, yet looks gorgeous.

If only it had the Infinite black pro, it would have been the sexiest TV around. :)

X30

- Reflection very very high. Incomparable to the other 2. Worse than samsungs.
- Black level average in the bright light.
- Colour reproduction not not as accurate as the V/ST or as vivid as the samsung.
- Good contrast compared to the samsungs.

Hi

If budget is not a constraint, which of the TVs compared is best. Could you rate them in a descending order?

TIA

Rajesh

I have already done that just 3 posts below the first post.
http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...20-st30-x30-samsung-d490-d550.html#post292575

Also if SD is your prime concern, the equation changes and D490 and D550 comes as winners. They have quite a bit of glare though. So you could find it as a problem if you are keeping the TV in the main hall. (Mandeep keeps it in his dedicated HT room. So his opinion will be biased. Look for pics in his thread).

If you want a 42" with no 3D and superb HD performance and above average HD performance, get the Samsung 42D450 (D490 without 3D and glasses) for ~35k. You need light controlled environment though.

If you have to worry less about refletion Panasonic 42GT20 is the starting level at 48-50k.

Again, all this are bangalore prices and subject to availability.

Saw that post Blasto but that appeared more like a budget based choice than PQ based choice to me. That's why I said, if budget is no constraint.

Also if SD is your prime concern, the equation changes and D490 and D550 comes as winners. They have quite a bit of glare though. So you could find it as a problem if you are keeping the TV in the main hall.

If you want a 42" with no 3D and superb HD performance and above average HD performance, get the Samsung 42D450 (D490 without 3D and glasses) for ~35k. You need light controlled environment though.

I assume you meant SD there (what I've highlighted) Since my prime concern is SD and since it would be a 42" TV which I'd prefer to keep in the bedroom where reflections are not a problem, I should abandon Panny search and go after Sammy you mean. I get it. There are so many threads and so much info on the forum that I'm suffering from information overload.:p

I assume you meant SD there (what I've highlighted) Since my prime concern is SD and since it would be a 42" TV which I'd prefer to keep in the bedroom where reflections are not a problem, I should abandon Panny search and go after Sammy you mean. I get it. There are so many threads and so much info on the forum that I'm suffering from information overload.:p

Yes.
If it is 50", go for D490. If 42", go for D490 or D450 based on 3D requirement.

Again, Since HD will be the norm in the next 2 years, You might want to consider D550 also. It will have better HD with a bit of compromise to SD.

yesterday I visited croma showroom for VT20 purchase. undoubtedly, VT20 has very good PQ. but it lacks so many features. it couldnt play all HD format through USB. it didnt recognise SD card. can't say about 3D performance as 3D demo kit was not avaible. I coundnt convince myself to log onto VT20. so dropped from list. Now I am considering samsung 51D550. PQ may not be that great as compared to VT20, but overall rich feature list is very good.
guys. please give more inputs..

yesterday I visited croma showroom for VT20 purchase. undoubtedly, VT20 has very good PQ. but it lacks so many features. it couldnt play all HD format through USB. it didnt recognise SD card. can't say about 3D performance as 3D demo kit was not avaible. I coundnt convince myself to log onto VT20. so dropped from list. Now I am considering samsung 51D550. PQ may not be that great as compared to VT20, but overall rich feature list is very good.
guys. please give more inputs..

Samsung BD player D5500 has the same features as the D550 wrt internet and USB playback.

Wise thing to do is, get the VT20 and a samsung BR player in order to get the best of both worlds. Samsung BR D5500 player costs 6500 and the next year model will be in the range of 4k.

SD card should be recognised though. I dont know why that dint happen. I think D550 also does not have SD card playback.

When you look at D550 as an isolated TV without comparison to VT20, it is a very good choice too. You have to have controlled lighting though.

3 year warrenty vs 1 year is also a consideration for an item costing 60-70k. Ask for 2 year extended warrenty from samsung and compare the total cost with VT20 + D5500 bluray. You can decide based on that.

Last edited:
2D to 3D conversion is also missing in VT20. i agree 3D technology is not yet fully matured. but it can certainly add little more fun in your TV if 2D to 3D option is avaible, though you watch 2D content 90% of the time.
i suspect there are lot of bugs in VT20 (except PQ). new 2011 series (VT30, ST30, GT etc..) should be better and rich in features.

any 3D TV should always come at least 2 pair of glasses. panasonic guys always gives only 1 pair.
samsung gives 2 pair of 3D glasses

Last edited:
2D to 3D conversion is also missing in VT20. i agree 3D technology is not yet fully matured. but it can certainly add little more fun in your TV if 2D to 3D option is avaible, though you watch 2D content 90% of the time.
i suspect there are lot of bugs in VT20 (except PQ). new 2011 series (VT30, ST30, GT etc..) should be better and rich in features.

Go ahead and get D550. Nobody can answer your 'suspecions'.

any 3D TV should always come at least 2 pair of glasses. panasonic guys always gives only 1 pair. this is rediculous.
samsung gives 2 pair of 3D glasses.

VT20 comes with one extra pair of glasses as dealer offer now.
http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...ccross-india-hyderabad-80k-33.html#post301895

Edit: BTW, What happened to your V20 hunt? You were not looking for 3D I thought?

Last edited:
any good quality 2D plasma is not in the market. X, U series are not good.
samsung plasma is better than panasonic X, U series. V20 is completely out of the market. not available anywhere. croma has VT20 only. after watching VT20 for nearly 2 hours. this is certainly out from the list. I might prefer to go for 2011 series rather (ST30). but will not decide in hurry for this. samsung 51D550 is just another option on the card to explore.
i have taken this option from this forum only. still need to have demo. as per many review on this forum, 51D550 seems good VFM.

any good quality 2D plasma is not in the market. X, U series are not good.
samsung plasma is better than panasonic X, U series. V20 is completely out of the market. not available anywhere. croma has VT20 only. after watching VT20 for nearly 2 hours. this is certainly out from the list. I might prefer to go for 2011 series rather (ST30). but will not decide in hurry for this. samsung 51D550 is just another option on the card to explore.
i have taken this option from this forum only. still need to have demo. as per many review on this forum, 51D550 seems good VFM.

Good going.
FYI, Naimesh got his 50V20 from an ebay seller and is happy.
New Panasonic Full HD 50" Plasma TV (50V20) Free Installation & Gifts-Warranty | eBay

Edit: Iam sharing since you asked for V20 particularly earlier. The PQ though is same as VT20 for 2D and is without 3D.
Iam surprised you liked the V20 and not the VT20 though.

Last edited:
Also, Adishwars have the 50V20 in Hyderabad. Just off the phone with them.
He is sure there is stock in Bangalore Adhishwars also.

FYI.

oh, i never had chance of V20 demo till now. it was in my list based on forum reviews. I went to croma in full mood to buy V20 or VT20. but was not fully convinced after having demo of VT20. V20 was not available. i will try to find at Adishwar for V20.
BTW, few days back, i had chance of viewing ST30(46inch) at Giria store. I watched this TV for 15min (all blueray content). PQ was stunning. dont know about other features. need to explore it further.

oh, i never had chance of V20 demo till now. it was in my list based on forum reviews. I went to croma in full mood to buy V20 or VT20. but was not fully convinced after having demo of VT20. V20 was not available. i will try to find at Adishwar for V20.

Oh, then don't bother. V20 does not surpass VT20 in anything. It is a bit brighter due to a different filter being used and thats about it.

BTW, few days back, i had chance of viewing ST30(46inch) at Giria store. I watched this TV for 15min (all blueray content). PQ was stunning. dont know about other features. need to explore it further.

There is no 46ST30. It should be 42".

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back