Denon AVR aka piece of crap

baijuxavior

Going to buy an AVR? Think twice if you are into Denon AVRs. I will summarize my experience with Denon 1612 AVR.

I bought the avr in September 2011. Paid 27.5K. My usage is very moderate. One or two movies a week. The AVR started showing red led blinking problem within a few months. When it happens, I will turn off the avr then turn it on again and it will continue to work after a few attempts.

Somewhat in the middle of March 2012 the AVR hdmi out stopped displaying altogether. Sent the avr to KEI service center Chennai, they replaced the hdmi board and everything seemed to be working for a few months. Then it again started the dreaded red led blinking.

In December 2012, the AVR started malfunctioning again. One of the channel went kaput. You can read it here http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/32758-denon-1612-shutting-down-problem.html. Sent it to KEI and they charged me Rs.3500/- for the servicing. When I received it back in the last week of February 2013, it won't start. So I again sent it to Chennai. This part I didn't post in the above mentioned thread. In March 2013 I got it back. This time they didn't charge me for the servicing. Connected the avr to the power and same problem. This time I opened the case and removed a few cables and reinserted and it started working.

July 2013 - I was watching a movie in the night. After an hour when I felt the volume is high I pressed the volume down button and instantly there is no sound at all. All other functions were working but no volume. Resetting the microprocessor didn't help. I could hear crackling and hissing sound the speakers. Frustrated I turned off the avr. Next morning when I tested it started working again.

Today the avr again stopped audio after one hour of movie watching. I switched it off hoping the problem will be solved. When I started it again the avr started hissing and crackling. Removed the power supply, opened the case and did the cable remove-reinsert trick, but the avr now will not start. It simply flashes red light. I feel like I would throw this crap out of the window.

A few other forum members have also reported this shutting down/ no audio problem with Denon AVR.

So my advice to avr buyers is to think twice before you put your hard earned money in Denon AVR.

I can understand your frustration , but I think it gave you immense knowledge into the innards of AVR . The trick u suggested worked on my 1912. :D

Did you test if the AVR works without hdmi ? using AV/coax cables ?

I can understand your frustration , but I think it gave you immense knowledge into the innards of AVR . The trick u suggested worked on my 1912. :D

Did you test if the AVR works without hdmi ? using AV/coax cables ?

Happy to know that the trick worked for you.

Just checked the avr and now it starts, but no audio. I tried test tone option, auto speaker setup option and the usb port to play a few songs. These all work, but no audio. There is a slight hissing/crackling sound when I increase the volume. Video passthrough and other decoding are working as I can see the DTS/DD logo lighting up when I play a movie. I'm gonna wait a few hours, probably the audio will comeback as in the last time. Anyway, this is my last Denon product.

Hello Baiju,

Sorry to hear about your AVR. I keep telling people that newer AVRs are POS. Never ever go by fancy features, always core core core - meaning good transformers, good quality boards and lesser features etc. Not that it has to be a rule.

My recommendation get in touch with Roy, Denon Bangalore. He is supposed to be the best tech in terms of Denon AVRs in India. I know it is a lot of trouble but there does not seem any go. Get it exchanged off or fixed for good.

My old Denon seems to be far better. No HDMI, No HD audio and nothing overtly fancy, but I guess better good build quality.

My recommendation get an older AVR of Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo making sure you have 7.1 analogue outs/ins so that you can keep up with the newer audio codecs. Video upscaling in an AVR is really speaking secondary.

But I guess you know about this very well and I have good contacts in Bangalore who can get you very good AVRs for a good price, let me know if you are interested.

Vinod

Last edited:
I faced red blinking problem with my Marantz AVR. Its HDMI board also went kaput and I wasn't even given warranty as in "we do not cover hdmi board under warranty" :(. Both Denon and Marantz are from same company and have lots of shared design and have been having reliability issues. I then puchased Yamaha AVR and it worked flawlessly and is highly recommended. Need of funds forced me to sell my Yamaha (shipped today) and use marantz without hdmi connections.

I read somewhere the red blinking problem happens if you use a power strip. I have since been using the marantz directly connected to plug socket in the wall and have not had red blinking problem since then. You can try the same if you are using a power strip. If audio is a problem, find a competent electrician in your city and give it for repair to him. A competent electrician told me that analog section is reparable while digital is only replacable :(.

Last edited:
I am thinking of buying a new yamaha avr just the basic model may be 373. There is no need to spend a lot on these devices.

The red blinking light is also a problem with hdmi board. Sometimes removing the data cables on the board will help. Recently another fm had to replace the hdmi board due to the same problem.

Like I said earlier, there are enough examples of AVRs with HDMI boards having issues.

Why not a balls to walls really powerful older model AVR? I am sure you can get it somewhere in the region of Rs 25000.

To give you an example, I got an offer of AVC-A11SR for Rs 25000!

I get the feeling you will not miss the DTS-MA or an USB port if you do the above :).

I need hdmi connection for my htpc. Well, one with analog input will also work but I prefer hdmi for simplicity.

I would rather you go the analogue way, you are right it is a lot of clutter but I guess better than this half baked HDMI board burning out or giving some problem in the future.

And HTPC, given your technical knowledge in PCs, I am sure you can work the analogue way out.

But at the end, it is your choice. Me I am waiting for funds so that I can get an AVC-A1SRA!!!

Unfortunately there's no way to decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD on a pc without resorting to some really ugly hacks. Those too don't work all the time! So analog even with a 7.1 channel decent card like the Essence ST + expansion card is a no go.

Off-late ,i am hearing more complains about Denon AVR . My Denon AVR is almost 9 years old , heavily used and not a single problem till today , works like a charm .

hello baijuxavior,
sad to hear that.
For yamaha r373 where you looking at?

Regards
girish

Baiju, I appreciate you coming forward and post about the daunting problems you had with your AVR (though the feedback about the brand is quite caustic). Many of the members usually would avoid posting about problems they had/ are having with their A/V gear on the forum fearing that it could create repercussions / backfiring while selling the same stuff (on the same forum). Very rare "Not working" threads is a proof for my claim. Even I hesitated to talk about the tweeter problem I had with my Energy speaker (though I managed to import a replacement). Many love their brand so much that they assume themselves to be the unlucky ones and feel its not appropriate to discourage other prospective buyers from going for it.

I would say it is rather unfortunate as I have seen many Denon owners who never faced a problem with their AVRs. There is this dreaded 'manufacturing defect' that sometimes haunts unfortunate customers like you. Sometimes the QC check goes ineffectual and a defective product simply rolls out of the factory, completely unnoticed. It is exactly for such reasons warranty exists but if the service backup or expertise is poor, it is better to stay away from that brand or be prepared to take the risk.

Oops I just bought my denon X1000 day before yesterday..if you had posted it couple of days earlier i would have rethink-ed my decision. now im running pillar to post to enable airplay without network cable plus my tuner is not working :(

Sorry to hear about the AVR. It must be really agonizing and thank you for sharing such an explicit feedback. When I was choosing between Denon and Yamaha, I read some threads talking about lack of service centers for Denon hence went for Yamaha.

Hope that you get in peace with your AVR misery soon.

Regards,
Rikhi

Your feedback on Denon AVR is highly appreciated. Few of my friends have problem with their Denon AVRs. Their current solution is to switch off and switch on after a gap.

Usage of power strip like it was mentioned by mowgli could be problem. I will check with my friends how do they use it.

I am using power strip with Pioneer VSX-520. My usage is heavy, and still I never had any problem.

@baiju
Did you use any powerstrip?

baijuxavior Sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with your AVR -Denon. I never had a problem with my 3312 been over a year of heavy usage... Looks more like a manufacturing defect. Have you tried asking for a replacement after so much work being done????

baijuxavior
We had exchanged a few PMs on this, yes I am also a victim of all the issues you are face. I have to pray every time I switch on. I am still living with the same even after a year. I am also planning to move to Yamaha in the near future, probably an exchange.

Thanks friends for your concerns. I have nothing personal against Denon, but this was the maximum I could bear, the avr powers up, all functions work, but no audio. I know there may be people facing issues with AVR irrespective of brands, not all may post about the problems as it will affect future sale. I'm not worried about sale, but just want to post my plight. IIRC, FMs like cbeshyam, viren etc. faced problems with Denon 1612 AVR so mine is not an odd issue.

guys whatever you buy make sure that they have good support direct from the company In India. I feel that Denon Marantz dont have direct support and it is obvious that their distributors and resellers will always fool you around. buy Denon /Marantz only make sense if you are getting it at half price as there will always be a risk of the issue baiju faced.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back