DENON Owners thread

-They want 3600rs for a new remote . I think it is a bit on the higher side and was looking for options..
I have a harmony 650, but it is not handy- nothing like the OEM remote.
Will keep looking at this thread in the hope that some one will have a remote to sell/giveaway. :)

Try to scout one in used market (or) try OLX in your city..

I would say go for it. The alternative would be say a One For All universal remote with some native coverage for an AVR but that will be in the same ballpark as what they're quoting for an original.

Hello,
I recently bought Denon AVR-X4300 (Amazon US) from my trip to US, hooked it up last week and everything seemed to work fine, about 3 days ago the receiver started to switch off/on multiple times, during first few times it happened, it used to stay on after 3 to 4 times on/off. now it does not even come on after multiple on/offs. I unplugged the receiver for a while and started it, it seemed to work fine for the first time, after that the problem switch on/off does not seems to go away.
I read few posts on people who had similar issues, tried with disconnecting all speakers and did a factory reset as well. does not seem to help. I will be getting in touch with Amazon and denon service in india in the respective order. any help will be appreciated.
Coming from yamaha foor 13 years and then pioneer since last year never once faced an issue:sad: . this is little scary.
Please see the below video for the issue i am facing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMiFm6t9oRY

Hello,
I recently bought Denon AVR-X4300 (Amazon US) from my trip to US, hooked it up last week and everything seemed to work fine, about 3 days ago the receiver started to switch off/on multiple times, during first few times it happened, it used to stay on after 3 to 4 times on/off. now it does not even come on after multiple on/offs. I unplugged the receiver for a while and started it, it seemed to work fine for the first time, after that the problem switch on/off does not seems to go away.
I read few posts on people who had similar issues, tried with disconnecting all speakers and did a factory reset as well. does not seem to help. I will be getting in touch with Amazon and denon service in india in the respective order. any help will be appreciated.
Coming from yamaha foor 13 years and then pioneer since last year never once faced an issue:sad: . this is little scary.

Plenty of posts on various Denon models doing this. Here is an old thread...
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/32721-denon-avr330-others-random-shutdown-problem.html
Looks like something is fried inside. Make use of your warranty if you have one. Protect your equipment against power surges.

Hello,

Just looked at your video. Is there enough ventilation for the AVR? I've placed my Denon on the top of the shelf, open space.

Hello,

Since it is a US bought receiver. You should be using with a step down transformer. May I know which one you are using. Because I faced the same issue with my pioneer receiver. Later I figured that it is the problem with the step down transformer which was not sufficient for the AVR. Later I changed with the more wattage transformer.

Just looked at your video. Is there enough ventilation for the AVR? I've placed my Denon on the top of the shelf, open space.

There is a fair bit of gap between the wall and the receiver, i did check the receiver after usage it was never hot.. thanks for the suggestion.

Since it is a US bought receiver. You should be using with a step down transformer. May I know which one you are using. Because I faced the same issue with my pioneer receiver. Later I figured that it is the problem with the step down transformer which was not sufficient for the AVR. Later I changed with the more wattage transformer.

I have custom wound stepdown transformer that i got about 13 years ago from SP road, which i used for my Yamaha amp and recently with pioneer vsx-1130 and it worked fine,you maybe be right on the wattage requirements both my previous receivers were less than 550w. denon is 750w. today i went to SP road and got 2kw Raksha step down transformer. will let you know if it solves the problem.

thanks for your suggestion

Recently switched from Yamaha to Denon X1400, still waiting for delivery of my AVR though. Just a quick question, is there any special procedure to be followed to connect speakers of different impedance. My FLR is QAcoustics with 6ohms, Center is Heco which can operate between 4-8ohms and rear are Dayton which are 8ohms. Do I need to select 6ohms in the Denon Speaker impedance switch ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rajiv

Recently switched from Yamaha to Denon X1400, still waiting for delivery of my AVR though. Just a quick question, is there any special procedure to be followed to connect speakers of different impedance. My FLR is QAcoustics with 6ohms, Center is Heco which can operate between 4-8ohms and rear are Dayton which are 8ohms. Do I need to select 6ohms in the Denon Speaker impedance switch ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rajiv

I'm using Denon X1200w. My front speakers are 6ohms and rest 3ohms. The AVR is set to 6 ohms with volume capped at 70%. Working fine so far!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rajiv

Hi

If there is an impedance manual switch then set it to 4-8 ohms or 6 - 8 ohms...

With audyssey setup, i dont think there would be much of a challenge...ensure that the AVR is kept well ventilated...

I have custom wound stepdown transformer that i got about 13 years ago from SP road, which i used for my Yamaha amp and recently with pioneer vsx-1130 and it worked fine,you maybe be right on the wattage requirements both my previous receivers were less than 550w. denon is 750w. today i went to SP road and got 2kw Raksha step down transformer. will let you know if it solves the problem.

thanks for your suggestion

I think the 2kva will have more headroom , Hope your issue gets solved.

Keep us posted.

I recently auditioned Denon X2300 and X1400. I have noticed following problem with reference to Yamaha AVR that I was using, now sold off.

1. Bass is too weak (receiver, subwoofer set to none.)

2. I have a feeling there is slight distortion in the upper middle range. I have observed this on three different speakers. So it can not be speaker problem.

Otherwise sound is very transparent, esp. best vocal I ever heard.

Any pointers regarding above points?

Last edited:
As I had pointed out earlier, I recently shifted from Yamaha to Denon. I had been using the Yamaha for 5+ years without issues.

With the Denon, I immediately notice that the mid range is quite open, dialogues in movies are very clear (I've bumped up the center channel slightly and using the Dialog control function).

My previous receiver did not have an auto calibrate option, the audyssey does a pretty good job in the Denon. I ran audyssey for 8 positions and now my movie experience is pretty much different. I can hear the room rumble with low frequencies during action sequences, this was lacking previously. Note my speakers & the positioning hasn't changed a bit.

Couple of queries here which I'd request experts to answer:

In Yamaha I liked the Adaptive DRC function as it used to boost volume lower sounds while listening in low volume levels. Is Dynamic volume in Denon comparable to Adaptive DRC in Yamaha.

Also If I just want an enhanced mode say during music playback, do I still need to switch on Dynamic EQ in Audyssey.

Thanks in advance, pleased with the purchase so far.

Best Regards,
Rajiv

I recently auditioned Denon X2300 and X1400. I have noticed following problem with reference to Yamaha AVR that I was using, now sold off.

1. Bass is too weak (receiver, subwoofer set to none.)

2. I have a feeling there is slight distortion in the upper middle range. I have observed this on three different speakers. So it can not be speaker problem.

Otherwise sound is very transparent, esp. best vocal I ever heard.

Any pointers regarding above points?

Can you recollect the sound mode used.. Were Audyssey features engaged?

In Yamaha I liked the Adaptive DRC function as it used to boost volume lower sounds while listening in low volume levels. Is Dynamic volume in Denon comparable to Adaptive DRC in Yamaha.

Here is some info for better understanding..

Audyssey Dynamic Volume

This technology allows you to set the volume level that you want and keep it there, without having to constantly adjust it. By anticipating sudden spikes and dips in the audio soundtrack and compensating for them in real time, Audyssey Dynamic Volume ensures consistent volume levels, regardless of the content youre enjoying. Thanks to Audyssey Dynamic Volume, quiet dialogue is easier to pick up, loud passages retain their impact, and commercials are less intrusive.

Also If I just want an enhanced mode say during music playback, do I still need to switch on Dynamic EQ in Audyssey.

Some info for understanding..

Audyssey Dynamic EQ

Audyssey Dynamic EQ solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality at lower volumes. The professionals who create music and movies do so at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. When volume is reduced on a standard home theater receiver, the bass disappears, voices change, and the surround soundstage becomes less enveloping. As volume is adjusted on an A/V receiver with Audyssey Dynamic EQ, the best possible frequency response and surround levels are selected moment-by-moment. This results in an ideal listening experience at any volume level.

Been using Audyssey function (Flat) for both movies & music..

For movies - Audyssey Curve 'Flat', Dyanmic EQ 'On', Reference level 0dB, Dynamic Volume 'Light'..

For music (2.2 - dual subs) - Audyssey Curve 'Flat', Dyanmic EQ 'On', Reference level 0dB, Dynamic Volume 'Off'..

From what i have observed, i like the Dyamic vol function for movies.. Once it is engaged and you hit desired volume level on AVR, there is no need to fiddle the volume up/down..

Whatever volume level you get when you raise the volume on the AVR, say - 5.0dB (without Audyssey), you will get the same volume level on your AVR at say -15.0 dB with Audyssey Vol engaged..

Thank you elangoas, that is really a good explanation.

I've been using Audyssey Curve Reference for Movies, will fiddle around the curves and see how flat would sound.

For Music, I'll check how reference would sound.

Best Regards,
Rajiv

Hi,
Is it advisable to buy Denon AVR from amazon.com? X2300W is around $900 and X3300W is around $1000 so considerable saving.
I assume their will be no warranty also a step down coneverter will be needed.

is it worth or wait for better offers from local dealer?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back