DENON Owners thread

If the vertex that you are installing for your entire home has all the safety features then most probably your gears are safe. Stable voltage and low,high voltage cut off is sufficient for protection. Only doubt i have is if it will be enough for power surge or lightning.My case that's all i have and so far no issues for 6 years. Before i got the vertex i used a yamaha avr connected to an online ups with no voltage stabilizer and it worked without any issues for 3 years and then i hooked my denon 2400 to a v gaurd for a year and then my 4500 as well. Later on i realized v gaurd is not sufficient and i moved to vertex. My location isnt perfect and has frequent power cuts, Low/High voltage and lightning strikes and luckily i have not had any issues. But if you are very paranoid then you can invest in a product like Rontek which is a power conditioner with surge protection. It also has cut off features and individual circuit bank. Please continue the conversation in this thread which has few points covered regarding protection

Thank you so much for patiently answering all my queries.

Actually no, by laid back I am referring to a very neutral tonality, which when combined with the inherent neutrality of my M&K speakers creates a very relaxed presentation . I was told that the new denons may have a bit more forward presentation that will add more excitement.
Cheers,
Sid
I got the 3700. I am very impressed, it definitely sounds more exciting. It simply blows away my old Marantz 6009 (perhaps not a fair comparison given the age difference). I really like the feature where 2 sub levels can be adjusted independently (under manual speaker settings) and then combined output can be fine tuned. Made a huge difference for bass levels.
Only thing I am disappointed with (and even with my previous marantz) is the flimsy build quality for something that costs 1.25 lac. The top cover flexes with slight pressure. As AV receivers are getting commoditized with a new release every year, their build quality is getting worse.
Cheers,
Sid

As AV receivers are getting commoditized with a new release every year, their build quality is getting worse.
That is disappointing for a Denon.
I was looking at several used AV receivers and had a chance to sample a Onkyo RZ800. It was built solid and was surprisingly good even in the sound department. Thinking about it today, I regret not picking it up. It sold for <45k INR. For the spec on board, it was a steal. If I find another RZ 800 or above, I am going to snap it up.

That is disappointing for a Denon.
I was looking at several used AV receivers and had a chance to sample a Onkyo RZ800. It was built solid and was surprisingly good even in the sound department. Thinking about it today, I regret not picking it up. It sold for <45k INR. For the spec on board, it was a steal. If I find another RZ 800 or above, I am going to snap it up.
Older AV receivers were definitely built to a higher spec. If not for this whole obsolescence issue with new formats, protocols etc. being introduced frequently, I would prefer to buy an older higher end model too. However in sound quality (perhaps due to the newer formats etc), these new units sound much better.
I have a 12 year old pioneer elite receiver for which I paid $800. It's build quality will rival even the 2.5 lac units now.
Cheers,
Sid

The top cover flexes with slight pressure. As AV receivers are getting commoditized with a new release every year, their build quality is getting worse.
Cheers,
Sid
That’s how Denon has always been. Not that their built quality has gone down but always the top chassis will wobble even when smallest of pressure is applied. Marantz will feel more solid.

I thing I have to add to all Denon owners, ALWAYS run on Direct/Pure Direct, never on 'Stereo'. I have bright speakers and for months I was scratching my head as to why is sounded so harsh. Running on Direct solved this problem. Gives a more nuanced sound and deeper sound stage too. Purchased my 3700 for 1.2L from Vector Systems in Hyderabad.

I received my 8500h yesterday, plan to set it up today with a 7.2 speaker layout. All are 8ohm speakers. But I plan to upgrade LCR, new ones likely to be 4ohm. I would be adding few height speakers as well, not sure about impedances as height speakers yet to be finalized.

The question I have is would it be ok to connect both 8 and 4/6 ohm speakers and leave the speaker impedance at 8ohm setting in the AVR.

Thanks in advane.

That’s how Denon has always been. Not that their built quality has gone down but always the top chassis will wobble even when smallest of pressure is applied. Marantz will feel more solid.
I disagree Love4sound, around 10 years ago I got a Denon 2310, don't remember price but it was around 50-60 k. I still have it and it has a more solid top cover than the 3700. Also after the 2310, I bought a marantz 6009 maybe 5 years ago for 70k. That had a similar flimsy top cover like the 3700. So I think around that time they started cost cutting on the chassis. Anyways the SQ for movies is excellent and I guess that is what matters. Maybe I will put a damping plate on top to help avoid chassis vibrations.
Cheers,
Sid

I disagree Love4sound, around 10 years ago I got a Denon 2310, don't remember price but it was around 50-60 k. I still have it and it has a more solid top cover than the 3700. Also after the 2310, I bought a marantz 6009 maybe 5 years ago for 70k. That had a similar flimsy top cover like the 3700. So I think around that time they started cost cutting on the chassis. Anyways the SQ for movies is excellent and I guess that is what matters. Maybe I will put a damping plate on top to help avoid chassis vibrations.
Cheers,
Sid
A decade ago i didn't even have an avr so no idea how the built was during those times and back then i had no idea what an avr was lol. Got in to the avr game from 2015 and from then on denon avr's have always had a flimsy top. When i unboxed my 4500 that was my 1st observation. Marantz doesn't feel flimsy as denon. I have also used a 2400 and it was the same
I received my 8500h yesterday, plan to set it up today with a 7.2 speaker layout. All are 8ohm speakers. But I plan to upgrade LCR, new ones likely to be 4ohm. I would be adding few height speakers as well, not sure about impedances as height speakers yet to be finalized.

The question I have is would it be ok to connect both 8 and 4/6 ohm speakers and leave the speaker impedance at 8ohm setting in the AVR.

Thanks in advane.
I use 8 and 6ohm speakers and left it to default values 8 ohm. Leaving it in default values wont do any harm and you can try changing it to 4 and experiment as well

Last edited:
What is pure direct and how do i use that on 3600 please?
It by passes any DSP processing. So audyssey is disabled and also the display in your avr will be disabled. What ever source you are feeding to the avr it is directly fed to the speakers with no DSP applied by the avr.

A decade ago i didn't even have an avr so no idea how the built was during those times and back then i had no idea what an avr was lol. Got in to the avr game from 2015 and from then on denon avr's have always had a flimsy top. When i unboxed my 4500 that was my 1st observation. Marantz doesn't feel flimsy as denon. I have also used a 2400 and it was the same
Hence my statement that their build quality is going down while their prices are going up. I think even from 2015 the prices have gone up 60-70%.
Cheers,
Sid

But I plan to upgrade LCR, new ones likely to be 4ohm.
I would tread cautiously here. The specifications do not even talk about 4ohm load support. Its a difficult (possibly impossible) load to drive and when you have 7 channels being pushed at the same time, you will be lucky to get even 50 watts per channel at 8ohms.

Am surprised that they stuck to an old EI transformer for something so expensive!

Last edited:
I thing I have to add to all Denon owners, ALWAYS run on Direct/Pure Direct, never on 'Stereo'. I have bright speakers and for months I was scratching my head as to why is sounded so harsh. Running on Direct solved this problem. Gives a more nuanced sound and deeper sound stage too. Purchased my 3700 for 1.2L from Vector Systems in Hyderabad.
With bright speakers, this might be necessary.
Personally; I find the little equalizing to the sound quite good. In my case (My speakers are not bright), Pure Direct makes the sound rather dull. Its as if it sucked out all the frequencies from it.

As we are discussing build quality, I am still with an old Denon 3312 AVR. Its average build (Much better than my old Pioneer 1122K). Can't hold a candle to some of the top of the line copper frame Marantz units or even some of the high end Yamaha Aventage, Onkyo RZ800 and above units. I have no plans on upgrading it until it dies or I find something nice from a similar generation, for cheap. It still decodes everything I throw at it. All I miss is Atmos and 4K pass through, which I don't miss or care that much for as the TV, Blu Ray player handles that directly.

If you want the best build, look no further than a NAD or Anthem. These Jap units feel like toys in comparison.

I would tread cautiously here. The specifications do not even talk about 4ohm load support. Its a difficult (possibly impossible) load to drive and when you have 7 channels being pushed at the same time, you will be lucky to get even 50 watts per channel at 8ohms.

Am surprised that they stuck to an old EI transformer for something so expensive!
Some of the reviews seem to indicate that it can muster about 130 watts per channel in 5 channel config and 100 watts in 7 channel.

That kind of power should be enough to drive most mid sized 8ohm towers.

But my concern is also that Denon has not provided any power figures for 4ohm load.

Maybe I will put a damping plate on top to help avoid chassis vibrations.
Cheers,
Sid

I too own a x3700 but never experienced chassis vibrating or flex.

But why would one flex or check it? I do understand in cars you do to check the build quality, but in an AVR nothing would go above it other than some cooling fans. :p

I too own a x3700 but never experienced chassis vibrating or flex.

But why would one flex or check it? I do understand in cars you do to check the build quality, but in an AVR nothing would go above it other than some cooling fans. :p
I put my hand on the top panel to check the heat (which was reported as an issue) and slight pressure caused the panel to flex downwards. Normally I don't check the build quality but I expect just putting my hand on a panel would not cause any issue.
Try it with your own 3700.
Anyways - for the record - I like the 3700 - please don't get me wrong. I am only concerned that as the prices creep upwards the build quality is not keeping pace.
Cheers,
Sid

Select DTS - Neural X sound mode from the music menu of the AVR - you may hear upmixed sound from more speakers.
The 'multichannel in' is displayed because your laptop sound output is set to 7.1 - this does not mean the output sound is upmixed.
Thanks for the Response, I tried this but the result was the same..

I checked the input info as well, it turns out that HDMI is indeed outputting stereo audio and this is coming from my Nvidia graphics card. I checked in Dell forum and there I was told to use a DAC between laptop and receiver. I have a DAC but it has output ports for 5.1 channel sockets for front, side, center and sub, I do not see any such options in Denon. DAC also have SPDIF, I am not sure how to connect that as well.

will explore some more options on upmixing this stereo audio or if possible get the output from heaphone jack to some port on denon..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back