Designing A Dedicated Listening Room

Just wanted to check from members opinion on acoustic treatment..
I assume the options available for the wall are...
Wooden panels
MDF boards
Wood/ MDF with foam
Acoustic foam
Glasswool/ rockwool

Any idea on the
1. cost per sq ft and
2. the comparative effectiveness.
3. Any other options available?

Typically, building a room within a room is acoustically very good, if you can afford the loss of space. This basically is a wall with a thin layer followed by a lot of rockwool for atleast 12 inches or more and then by the outer solid wall. Once you go above 6 inches, loose rockwool is a better option than slabs as you need to balance air dispersion and absorption. However, loose rockwool is super itchy, so you can keep them in jute/spandex/canvas cloth so that its easier to manage.

Unfortunately, this is impossible to do once your room is done. Rockwool will typically give you the best absorption per inch and very good value for money.

Hi Vivek,
Congratulations for designing dedicated room for Music, my suggestion is to fix diffuser on front and rear wall and for absorber 2" thick glasswool pannel works fine.
Proper aquastic treatment makes difference in terms of stereo image and overall SQ

Regards
Andis

Hi Folks

Small update on this topic and some more help required specially from people who have their setups in basement. The drawings for my new home are going to start from tomorrowe.g. April 5th. As of now the basement is there in the plan, exclusivly for the dedicated music room and some other utility areas.

Yesterday, I visited a home of same size as mine with a basement of around 1900 Sq Feet totally empty just walls and pillars. I got bit worried about kind of echo that was there. It was not possible even to have a conversation there. Ofcourse that was a huge empty space and nothing except walls.

My apprehension is, will I have to treat my (L 28 x W 16 x H 10) feet room in the basement from day 1? Will it be any useful without any kinda treat meant except full carpet? There will be no curtains becuase no windows in the basement. May be not much furniture apart from a big inbuilt rack or a chair or two initially.

Thanks
Vivek

You may also need 7- 10 acoustic panels 2ft by 4 feet in size to line up on the walls where needed.
Ceiling tiles: You can go for black ceiling tiles option for better contrast. Maybe chocolate brown paint for side walls.

Bunker/basement room would have been best , with 10 foot trenches all around , something the Allied army built on the outskirts of Berlin. That way you could’ve ensured insulation from all kinds of acoustic \ temperamental interference. ;)
I have my Dedicated ht room in basement.nothing like having it in basement.insulated on three sides.no matter with high volume and subwoofer bass neibours won't complain.. easy accessibility you need to climbdowm rather than climbing up lazy persons.other house mates won't be disturbed.i am strongly against having dedicated ht in second floor which most architects prefer.most of the time we don't climb upto second floor.

Just wanted to check from members opinion on acoustic treatment..
I assume the options available for the wall are...
Wooden panels
MDF boards
Wood/ MDF with foam
Acoustic foam
Glasswool/ rockwool

Any idea on the
1. cost per sq ft and
2. the comparative effectiveness.
3. Any other options available?
I know a person who did mine at 300 rs per sqfeet.anutone Bangalore based company who does major ptojects.im happy with their work simple and effective

Based on soil types(black soil is bad) basements can be a breeding ground for mold and mildew with musty odors due to lack of sunlight. A dehumidifier may be required if walls are porous and are sucking in water from neighboring garden.
A waterproofing sheet can also be used if feasible. Dupont Tyvek is a popular brand.

Thanks @rrunner and @girishtd8262 for your valuable advice. There will be waterproofing on all the walls of basement as well as flooring. Me too want it my room in the basement rather than on second floor. As per your comments I guess I will have to treat it to some extent.

I know a person who did mine at 300 rs per sqfeet.anutone Bangalore based company who does major ptojects.im happy with their work simple and effective
You may share their contact if they are interested to do it it for me I can check with them, but that would be bit later ;)

Thanks @rrunner and @girishtd8262 for your valuable advice. There will be waterproofing on all the walls of basement as well as flooring. Me too want it my room in the basement rather than on second floor. As per your comments I guess I will have to treat it to some extent.
Basement usually they will have retaining wall or stone wall .do waterproofing over that

@Vivek Batra Congratulations on the new home and a dedicated listening room. Ensure you have extended hight to damp the ceiling. One of my friend just built a listening room with out windows it's 11 feet in hight, one feet is left for damping.

Congratulations on choosing the basement for your listening. While I like the idea of the windowless room, not sure why you need ventilators around the room. Any form of ventilation will get light as well as allow sound to seep through, so will be hard to control. Use an AC instead of the ventilation as basements can get hot.

Since its a large room, carpets, an acoustically treated ceiling, bass traps (if you listen to a lot of bass heavy tracks) and panels. How much absorption and how much diffusors, you can play around once the room is done. Make sure the seating is in the ideally position wrt the speakers, with enough room behind the MLP.

If the side walls are concrete then there will be a lot of reflections, so using acoustic foam and sticking (check my thread) would be useful.

Typically, go to amroc's website and calculate your room mode and check if its a frequency in the manageable range and plan accordingly.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back