Designing A Dedicated Listening Room

24x16x11 moved the red cross in the bolt area. Honestly I cant deduce anything from it.

View attachment 57195
Hi Vivek,
To be honest I don't know much .
Some reading might help.As read from the internet" Rooms whose ratios fall within the shaded area will exhibit a favourably uniform distribution of modal frequencies ie: the bottom end will be less lumpy…" .So adjust the room size until you get the cross inside the bolt area.
I recently came across the you tube video I posted in my earlier post.Eventhough his videos are aimed at audio professionals,I found them very useful.They are technical and not voodoo as he says.Watch all his videos if you can.will help you for sure.

Hi Vivek,

That's a nice big room for music listening & especially for watching movies with a projector in case if your preferences shift some years later. :D

Sorry, I meant if your preferences "expand" later instead of "shift" since music listening will always be primary in your case.:)
Yes Sir, presently true. I don't get the same amount of pleasure from a movie that I get from music. But the place is there for next gen.

Hi Guys

Today, the plan has been finalized and I will stick to basement for the listening room. Here is the plan of the basement. If any suggestions at this stage are important, please do do.

Regards
Vivek
I would suggest hiring a professional for room treatment. That's what I will do once I have a nice, spare room of that size.

Hi Guys

Today, the plan has been finalized and I will stick to basement for the listening room. Here is the plan of the basement. If any suggestions at this stage are important, please do do.

Regards
Vivek

View attachment 57666
Hi vivek :)

I guess you haven't found the time to read my earlier post suggesting a compulsory read of an awesome music room. Please do read it once, yes the start is a little boring. But it touches every pertinent issue that needs to be considered. Never mind the cost of that build, but it will definitely give you some doable ideas :)

Hi Guys

Regards
Vivek

View attachment 57666

You have got a nice big room there. Mine is also similar - 17 * 24 feet. I am having both home theatre and stereo setup in the same room. The only concern is that the projector screen will rob some distance and you might not get enough distance from the side walls with respect to the stereo speakers. Lets see.

I am getting some professional help with respect to paneling, flooring and roof treatment. Its getting completed; hopefully in another couple of months if the Covid situation improves. I can share some pics post that. Meanwhile, if there is anything, just PM me.

Hi vivek :)

I guess you haven't found the time to read my earlier post suggesting a compulsory read of an awesome music room. Please do read it once, yes the start is a little boring. But it touches every pertinent issue that needs to be considered. Never mind the cost of that build, but it will definitely give you some doable ideas :)
Sir, I did read that article but could not find a clear cut answer. The space I have mentioned is at my disposal with an option to use all or decrease the size as required. The actual partitions in the basement will be soft walls as per law here.

So the exact size may vary as I learn about the ideal room size by the time the home is ready.

Regards
Vivek

You have got a nice big room there. Mine is also similar - 17 * 24 feet. I am having both home theatre and stereo setup in the same room. The only concern is that the projector screen will rob some distance and you might not get enough distance from the side walls with respect to the stereo speakers. Lets see.

I am getting some professional help with respect to paneling, flooring and roof treatment. Its getting completed; hopefully in another couple of months if the Covid situation improves. I can share some pics post that. Meanwhile, if there is anything, just PM me.
Great, that would be nice. We all look forward to the end result and the way you setup. May be try to take some measurements in bare room vs treated room, so we all could know the difference, the treatment can make.

Good luck and hope to see a nice looking and sounding room soon.

Sir, I did read that article but could not find a clear cut answer. The space I have mentioned is at my disposal with an option to use all or decrease the size as required. The actual partitions in the basement will be soft walls as per law here.

So the exact size may vary as I learn about the ideal room size by the time the home is ready.

Regards
Vivek
Please don't address me as sir vivek...
I haven't been knighted yet :D

Everyone calls me manu actually :)

Great, that would be nice. We all look forward to the end result and the way you setup. May be try to take some measurements in bare room vs treated room, so we all could know the difference, the treatment can make.

Good luck and hope to see a nice looking and sounding room soon.

The room is almost 50 percent done now with the flooring and roof treatments finished. Sorry, I did not take any measurements. Measurements is a double edged sword for me. If its measuring even slightly less than desired, the thought will keep lingering in my mind. so consciously avoided that. As of now, the treatment is a combination for theatre and stereo, with more focus on stereo.

I will hear some music after everything is done. if its sounding terrible (which i dont expect :) ), then will do some measurements and think about more room treatments. Else, I will keep whatever I have done and just enjoy the music.

The room is almost 50 percent done now with the flooring and roof treatments finished. Sorry, I did not take any measurements. Measurements is a double edged sword for me. If its measuring even slightly less than desired, the thought will keep lingering in my mind. so consciously avoided that. As of now, the treatment is a combination of theatre and stereo, with more focus on the stereo...
Congratulations..hopefully it will sound good.
Can you please break down the cost of your project, it will help me a lot as I'm also thinking of hiring a pro for room treatment.

The room is almost 50 percent done now with the flooring and roof treatments finished. Sorry, I did not take any measurements. Measurements is a double edged sword for me. If its measuring even slightly less than desired, the thought will keep lingering in my mind. so consciously avoided that. As of now, the treatment is a combination for theatre and stereo, with more focus on stereo.

I will hear some music after everything is done. if its sounding terrible (which i dont expect :) ), then will do some measurements and think about more room treatments. Else, I will keep whatever I have done and just enjoy the music.
I am gonna do the same, if something is already good then no need to spend more on it.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back