Designing A Dedicated Listening Room

Hi @Indranil Sen

Thanks for your detailed and informative reply. I am noting down each every suggestion shared here by all of you and it's coming up nicely.

Few things that are already prioritised for the room

1. LAN cable
2. UPS/Stabilizer outside the room
3. Dedicated phase and line with proper grounding. Just a dedicated line is not helping properly right now.
4. Avoid having the door in the corner, if layout allows.
5. International sockets, AV grade
6. Yellow lighting with dimmers.
7. Conduits to hide cables while running from amps to speakers or where required
8. Ample rectangular room size may be 20x15 feet.
9. Room treatment at later stage.
10. May be fixed furniture to hold all av equipment. Not sure if I should still buy a rack.

I guess this list will keep on refining as the plan progress. Once the layout is I will share the room dimensions again if that's a good space I can move on with the construction.

Regards
Vivek
Vivek Batra,
You summarized the requirements so well.
I may add , if missed,
1. dedicated power line from home main distribution board, totally separate from entire house supply. Use high quality copper shielded cable.

2. Separate hi quality earthing for this room using thicker gauge copper cable , copper plate, separate pit, etc. No house equipments to be connected on this earthing.
3. Add surge protection on this power line, and Also to make sure it's high quality and reliable.
4. Fix layout of equipments and speakers, so high quality metal conduits with wider cross section can be installed under the floor. If your room is big, you may go for layout putting preamp, sources etc on side of listening chair position and run IC from preamp to amp near to speakers . This takes longer ICs , may be 4 to 6 mts. But it's worth it, as I experience it.
5. Consider 1/2 to 3/4 inch teak wood planks for flooring, with conduit s running under them. Not to go for synthetic or artificial material which look like wood but it's not and have extremely low or zero porosity or sound absorption.

dedicated power line from home main distribution board, totally separate from entire house supply. Use high quality copper shielded cable.
Most probably, I am gonna install a solar power system and will see if its possible to have a dedicated line from the plant directly.
Add surge protection on this power line, and Also to make sure it's high quality and reliable.
I guess if the source is solar power, the chances of surge are very less?
Fix layout of equipments and speakers, so high quality metal conduits with wider cross section can be installed under the floor. If your room is big, you may go for layout putting preamp, sources etc on side of listening chair position and run IC from preamp to amp near to speakers . This takes longer ICs , may be 4 to 6 mts. But it's worth it, as I experience it.
I am also thinking of not having the equipment between the speakers but on either side of the MLP.
Consider 1/2 to 3/4 inch teak wood planks for flooring, with conduit s running under them. Not to go for synthetic or artificial material which look like wood but it's not and have extremely low or zero porosity or sound absorption.
Any reason why the conduits should run in the floor and not in the walls? I would prefer full carpet instead of wooden flooring. Any use of wood over carpet?

If you are going for full carpet, go for 1mm of foam which will add a nice cushion feel when you walk over. Use a carpet material thats easy to clean and maintain. For me, that was one of the best decisions made and everyone loves it as its easy to sit in the floor when there is a shortage of seats.

Some thoughts:

The solar plant will probably not provide large dynamic power .... Not sure yr system will sound good.

System distributed on both sides will probably require very long lengths of interconnects.... not only hard to get, but may impact sound quality too.

If you are going for full carpet, go for 1mm of foam which will add a nice cushion feel when you walk over. Use a carpet material thats easy to clean and maintain. For me, that was one of the best decisions made and everyone loves it as its easy to sit in the floor when there is a shortage of seats.
Carpet tiles in my mind :) . Each piece can be cleaned/washed separately.

Just thinking if 27 feet lenght isn't too long? Not able to think what should I do if the room is too long. Any ideas?
So far this is my plan.

1629966000086.png

Attachments

• 1629965846561.png
    1629965846561.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I had a friend who solved a similar problem by keeping the speakers along the longer side. This meant there is a lot of room to use it for other purposes to the left and right of the MLP. So you could have a foosball table or anything else you prefer.

Some cons, it will be difficult to build a second line of seats. Also, glass is avoidable, so if you are setting a bar, use a wooden bar, but the glass inside could still rattle.

I think Naturelover has used the space for a working area. So you can check his thread too.

Most probably, I am gonna install a solar power system and will see if its possible to have a dedicated line from the plant directly.

I guess if the source is solar power, the chances of surge are very less?

I am also thinking of not having the equipment between the speakers but on either side of the MLP.

Any reason why the conduits should run in the floor and not in the walls? I would prefer full carpet instead of wooden flooring. Any use of wood over carpet?
Power cables may conveniently run either under the floor or in walls, but ICs, spkr cables, almost must run under the floor to make them of shortest length possible. And to keep floor clean of cables.
If the power amp is between two spkrs, then one power socket or outlet will be on the floor near to amp position, in that case a power supply cable has to run under the floor from nearest wall to amp power socket.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back