Desparately seeking Susan !!

All my speakers and amps are home made .Can you post some pics of your setup .The dac supplier should have the image .In case it is B then it would require a different OS image .I prefer rune audio.The DAC is from IQaudio.You can drop into my place.
Regards
Somak

Dear Sam9s,

Thank you dear so much to see your elaborate reply. But unfortunately i have had limited success from your instructions. In fact one forum member, saheb was scheduled to visit me and do it for me. But i could not get it done as i had to postpone his visit due to some family urgency...but then that's a separate story.
So, after i returned home, i tried to give it a go with the renewed confidence from your post. I had three SD cards ready - Volumio, Rune and Pi music Box.
Again every time it was the same problem. The volumio showed the screen you have posted earlier except the inet details. Because first of all it would ask log in and password and after giving the cursor comes back to command prompt.
In rune, it booted faster, almost immediately and asked for login - i typed root, it asked password - i typed rune, it accepted. I typed ifconfig and it said 127.0.0.1. It seemed it fooled me as i later came to know it is the local machine's IP and is being used for diagnostic purposes. I still typed the same in my laptop's browser but nothing happened. it said "error loading page"

Pi music Box - This one booted relatively slow...but finally at the end, gave an IP address all by itself on the command prompt which was coming on the tv. Once i typed the ip address on laptop browser - there it was !! the user interface. And finally i could hear the pendrive songs thru the tv. Then tried to get the audio thru the 3.5mm analog out. Had to reboot without the HDMI cable and it again worked. So far so good. But then i brought my phone put the same IP address but could not get the user interface on mobile screen.

Should i download the one which you recommended? Will that be an easier installation? I do not mind trying as i am keen for better quality of music - rather than easy to handle stuff. Only thing is it is very frustrating when it simply refuses to oblige....Pretty stubborn guy, this Pi is !!

Now coming to the very purpose of this exercise - it was to figure out a source which will be audiophile grade with minimum expense. With all your gigantic experience (when i read your posts - i get jittery and super awed !!) do you think Pi is the right guy? Or there are other solutions? (I know you have done so much research on music pc front but will it not be too expensive?)

Really happy to get your advice. Cheers.

I am surprised and confused as well as to why you getting 127.0.0.1 for Rune and same works when you install Pi Music Box. 127.0.0.1 is loop back address, which means either your network interface (hardware or software) isnt working or your DHCP is not working. But if these two were the scenario then Pi music box should'nt have worked either..... anyway what happened in volumio, you ended the story at "I come back to command prompt". What happens when you type ifconfig in case of Volumio?

When it comes to audiophile grade player, anything based on MPD is what people thrive for in Linux and all three Rune, Volumio and Moode are based on MPD. Pi Music Box is based on Mopidy, and I am not sure if Mopidy is based on MPD.I could not get any definate reference.

Pi as an hardware with a decent DAC and an MPD based player is almost praised by every audiophile, specially when the entire solution is darn cheap. (except if you purchase a too expensive DAC to work with pi)

Give a try to Moode it has a better interface than Volumio and Rune and easy to set up as well

Let me know if things gets sorted out .....

Regards
Sammy

The of loop back is because he doesn't have a router address

Without a ssid for WiFi you will get a loop back.
You can try to connect with a normal patch cable. But a router is required. And WiFi dongle i and router is also required for smart phone integration .I have an iqaudio dac which runs very well with runeaudio.
The dac is awesome.
Regards
Somak

If he does not have a router how come his Pi Music Box worked. He got the ip and was able to access the interface page on his laptop browser, when he booted Rpi with Pi Music Box image. Unless I miss understood his post completely.

Last edited:
So, after i returned home, i tried to give it a go with the renewed confidence from your post. I had three SD cards ready - Volumio, Rune and Pi music Box .....

By this statement looks like he was at home. Why would he try Volumio and Rune at home and only Pi Music Box at office. Doesnt make sense if thats the case... :)

Dear Sam9s and Somakmaitra,

I am really overwhelmed to see you are so eager to help me out...!!:clapping:

No, really - i mean it. Thanks a ton for your helpful predicament. I am really obligated to you both. Coming to the issue at hand, YES - i tried so far everything at my home only. And beleive me - in case of Pi music box it worked while in case of the other two, it didn't. The fact that out of desperation to see the Pi in my laptop as a networked device i was tinkering will all sorts of settings (its windows 7 on an HP elitebook) and while doing so, it really threw an IP address on the TV(display) command prompt.

Going forward, i realized i will have to have a router. Even if i configure it at office, i will be wanting to enjoy music at home. So what's the point? I think a preconfigured Pi at office will not work at home as the settings will not remain valid, right?

So i bought a router......................

TP-Link TD-W8968 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) - Buy TP-Link TD-W8968 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Hope this is a good one. Your comments solicited on the above product.

Way ahead - i need to put this in my system. Will report back whatever happens. .......:thumbsup:

Other tasks at hand : Will download Moode as suggested. Running out of SD cards.:sad:

Without a ssid for WiFi you will get a loop back. - what exactly it means??:confused:

I had also purchased an i2s Dac when i bought the Pi. It arrived today at office...
HIFI DAC Audio Sound Card Module I2S interface for Raspberry pi B-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Do you think it will enhance the SQ?

Another question : Once the system is set up successfully, will an internet connectivity always required? I know these days smartphones have data services so accessing the web interface would not be an issue. But still...can't a pi and a smartphone work in tandem without any internet service called into action?

Stand alone independent systems such as chromecast, blue tooth or infra red etc?

Thanks in advance.

Another question : Once the system is set up successfully, will an internet connectivity always required? I know these days smartphones have data services so accessing the web interface would not be an issue. But still...can't a pi and a smartphone work in tandem without any internet service called into action?

Stand alone independent systems such as chromecast, blue tooth or infra red etc?

Thanks in advance.

To control the Pi using a mobile app you do not require an internet connection but only that all these devices should be on the same network (router). But to install the mobile app you atleast require a data connection on your mobile or a wifi router with internet connection for the first time and once configured it will work without any hassles.

Hi Subro

1. you will require a wifi adapter for ease of placement .

2. You do not require any internet connection for smartphone integration .
3. If you wish to use internet radio then internet is required .
4.I would suggest you subscribe to cable modem.
5. Put the Pi in a static IP mode . It will help you in finding the ip

The MOODE as suggested by SAM is pretty awesome .

Plug and enjoy music and allow you wife to control the volume :D
Regards
Somak

Wifi adaptor someting like this
45048503138418TLH24138924296613957498691399309575_1408644762.jpg

Dear Sam9s and Somakmaitra,

I am really overwhelmed to see you are so eager to help me out...!!:clapping:

No, really - i mean it. Thanks a ton for your helpful predicament. I am really obligated to you both. Coming to the issue at hand, YES - i tried so far everything at my home only. And beleive me - in case of Pi music box it worked while in case of the other two, it didn't. The fact that out of desperation to see the Pi in my laptop as a networked device i was tinkering will all sorts of settings (its windows 7 on an HP elitebook) and while doing so, it really threw an IP address on the TV(display) command prompt.

Going forward, i realized i will have to have a router. Even if i configure it at office, i will be wanting to enjoy music at home. So what's the point? I think a preconfigured Pi at office will not work at home as the settings will not remain valid, right?

So i bought a router......................

TP-Link TD-W8968 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) - Buy TP-Link TD-W8968 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Hope this is a good one. Your comments solicited on the above product.

Way ahead - i need to put this in my system. Will report back whatever happens. .......:thumbsup:

Other tasks at hand : Will download Moode as suggested. Running out of SD cards.:sad:

Without a ssid for WiFi you will get a loop back. - what exactly it means??:confused:

I had also purchased an i2s Dac when i bought the Pi. It arrived today at office...
HIFI DAC Audio Sound Card Module I2S interface for Raspberry pi B-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Do you think it will enhance the SQ?

You dont have a router at Home???? How exactly are you connecting all you devices and rpi then?

Anyway the router you posted looks good. And yes a DAC will definitely improve the sound. Lastly a pre configured Rpi with Moode or Rune or Volumio will work anywhere as long as the rpi and the system you would use to load the interface are on the same network.

From Sam9s : "Lastly a pre configured Rpi with Moode or Rune or Volumio will work anywhere as long as the rpi and the system you would use to load the interface are on the same network. ...."

From Somakmaitra : "5. Put the Pi in a static IP mode . It will help you in finding the ip......."

HOW ????:sad::sad::sad:

@Somak Maitra : Can i bring my Pi to your house and get it configured by you....? Hopefully will learn a lot from you.... Please give me your contact number so that i can speak with you....

Regarding Wi-fi adapter, yes i have one - quite similar to what the picture looks like. It was purchased from "CrazyPi.com" and it is not a Tenda but an EDUP.

I tried everything. Even with Moode audio, after the cursor blinks nothing happens. "Ifconfig" is declared as bad command. I would also bring all the image files that i have acquired so far..

Hi

I'm from Kolkata. Can someone from Kolkata please tell me which shop in Chandni Chawk have good anodized extruded aluminium heatsink for power amplifier.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back