Devialet anyone? :D

k-pad

Hi all,
Since I monopolised a room in the prospective house for a mini media room, what to put in the living room has become a big question in our parliament.

So, the starred question in the house is whether to put a good quality box set in the living room or a space saving modern wonder.

(They call this Vittu pidikkaruthu in tamil; and a kind of hindi thing would be the baazigar line)
Point being: She let me do my thing, and now wants her pound of flesh.
To be fair, she is the bigger music freak, and I did promise a system for the living room :D
I am only into Tamil film music, hip-hop and jazz, with a bit of classic rock and metal thrown in.
She, on the other hand, listens to all kinds, including classical of all regions, and her listening time is way, way, more than mine - if i had to put a figure - mine would be 30 mins a day to probably 60, but hers is easily double that.

I should mention here that the home minister has tasted blood -- my bad i took her along for one of my auditions -- and wants a Devialet now for the living room, as that would fit in. (I say living room, but please think of it more like a botany lab)

Should I indulge or work on a box set up? (doable)

Questions being:
1. Is it worth fighting for a proper 2.1 set up in this living room, or should I just fold my cards?
2. Cost:
a. I was thinking a proper set of 6.5" SEAS and RAALs plus a good amp. Which looks like a 5L venture.
b. She is thinking of the bigger Devialet, which should be around 3L.

(Room size: weird space; pic attached)

3. Has anyone owned a Devialet? What's your experience been?

Inspired by this lovely post:

1639528321201.png

Hi all,
Since I monopolised a room in the prospective house for a mini media room, what to put in the living room has become a big question in our parliament.

So, the starred question in the house is whether to put a good quality box set in the living room or a space saving modern wonder.

(They call this Vittu pidikkaruthu in tamil; and a kind of hindi thing would be the baazigar line)
To be fair, she is the bigger music freak, and I did promise a system for the living room :D
I am only into Tamil film music, hip-hop and jazz, with a bit of classic rock and metal thrown in.
She, on the other hand, listens to all kinds, including classical of all regions, and her listening time is way, way, more than mine - if i had to put a figure - mine would be 30 mins a day to probably 60, but hers is easily double that.

I should mention here that the home minister has tasted blood -- my bad i took her along for one of my auditions -- and wants a Devialet now for the living room, as that would fit in. (I say living room, but please think of it more like a botany lab)

Questions being:
1. Is it worth fighting for a proper 2.1 set up in this living room, or should I just fold my cards?
2. Cost:
a. I was thinking a proper set of 6.5" SEAS and RAALs plus a good amp. Which looks like a 5L venture.

View attachment 65237
Lucky you @k-pad, you got a like minded partner.

KEF LS50W-II or LSX

Please take your spouse along and audition these seriously. More than enough for your living room.

2 power cords and WiFi, you get a fully integrated, well performing all-in-one

Cheers,
Raghu

I would suggest a 2.1 in your TV area.

For a 3 lakh budget, you can get components which are really nice.
Eg.
- a amp + network streamer in one (eg. Marantz PM7000N / NAD)
- a pair of bookshelf speakers (the new KEF LS50 metas ?)
- a matching sub

KEF LS50W-II or LSX

Please take your spouse along and audition these seriously. More than enough for your living room.

Cheers,
Raghu

Good idea

Eg.
- a matching sub
she refuses to enter the space, sir, for foggy reasons.

Thread 'DEVIALET amazing review'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/devialet-amazing-review.73014/
Since both of you auditioned it and liked it and it’s well within your budget why not get it?
Since she appreciates good quality audio, the neat and unique design of these speakers could be an additional WAF. You can never go wrong in making your wife happy in such ways.

Last edited:
KEF LS50W-II or LSX

Cheers,
Raghu
Will check this out, sir.
From how you make it sound, looks hassle free
Regards

Thread 'DEVIALET amazing review'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/devialet-amazing-review.73014/
Since both of you auditioned it and liked it and it’s well within your budget why not get it?
Since she appreciates good quality audio, the neat and unique design of these speakers could be an additional WAF. You can never go wrong Making in making your wife happy in such ways.
Thank you so much for this.
Didn't return when I searched for some reason.
some of the things owners say are scary.
Like, it requires perfection in every other place in the set-up.

KEF LS50W-II or LSX

Cheers,
Raghu

Eg.
- a matching sub
You both saying it, the KEFs defo are going in the shortlist.

Hi all,

Questions being:
2. Cost:

Since you are considering the Devialet, I would suggest the Naim Unity Atom all in one with the speaker of your choice ;)
Its a bit south of your 3L budget and the naim sound, its very good app support as well as a good display makes it a great choice !

It would be my choice of an All in one amp+digital if I were to downsize into a lifestyle system.

Since you are considering the Devialet, I would suggest the Naim Unity Atom all in one with the speaker of your choice ;)
Its a bit south of your 3L budget and the naim sound, its very good app support as well as a good display makes it a great choice !

It would be my choice of an All in one amp+digital if I were to downsize into a lifestyle system.
South of budget is always welcome.
Will check it out. Thank you so, so much for the suggestion.
Grateful

I have seen and heard the devialet at my neighbours house. They look awesome and play quite good. IMO they play better than the Genelecs the only other active speaker that I have heard and the phantom gold's are the best looking speakers I have seen.

If you have heard it, and liked and can afford it, they make a great conversation piece too with their looks :D

I have seen and heard the devialet at my neighbours house. They look awesome and play quite good. IMO they play better than the Genelecs the only other active speaker that I have heard and the phantom gold's are the best looking speakers I have seen.

If you have heard it, and liked and can afford it, they make a great conversation piece too with their looks :D
Lovely!
So, she is indeed right (for once :p), huh!
Thank you so much @sud98
I think I am already fighting a losing battle.
Yet to hear a bad word about these bad boys!

Lovely!
So, she is indeed right (for once :p), huh!
Thank you so much @sud98
I think I am already fighting a losing battle.
Yet to hear a bad word about these bad boys!
Try them out before you buy though.
I had run a brief test of these speakers while waiting for a diff set of speakers to be brought in from the warehouse.

I will admit that it was a short test - and rather casual as I was only trying to kill time.
But I found them very underwhelming - tuned very differently (more towards outright SPL) vs what good bookshelves or towers at a similar price point will yield.

I'd not go towards the Devialets if it were me, for the price you can go louder and get better sound, including a DSP and a pro amp.

Devialet definitely has takers. People adore their looks (extremely polarising) and people love their sound. If it floats your boat, then why not? I personally find them overpriced for what they offer. I spent 2 weeks with them in stereo and my initial short term impression was - Oh Lord, they are amazing, mesmerising, TLC to the soul. Spending a few more days with them and I found issues with many things in there (though that happens with absolutely everything). But here there are some very apparent issues with details in music and as you mentioned you listen to jazz and some classic rock, you will notice it for sure. The bass quality though is something special coming from such a package and though I am not a big fan of the looks they did look like a piece of art in my friend's house. Which is a bonus.

If this is not your "serious/critical" system - I would say go for it. They have a very "crowd" pleasing sound and they do have a very impressive rocking the party vibe.

Now considering your Wife "wants" them - to answer your questions -

1. Is it worth fighting for a proper 2.1 set up in this living room, or should I just fold my cards? - ARE YOU MAD? Just fold, pour a glass of wine and enjoy the appreciation, support and peace.
2. Cost - There is no cost for brownie points. Save some money here and you will have to pay later, one way or the other.
a. I was thinking a proper set of 6.5" SEAS and RAALs plus a good amp. Which looks like a 5L venture - Mmmmmmmm....
b. She is thinking of the bigger Devialet, which should be around 3L - Use the SEAS & RAAL budget and get her 2 and run them in stereo and enjoy her smile.

Cheers!

You can also check the Q Acoustics M20 active sets. It takes away the burden of adding sources.
Other options if you want scale would be Genelecs ot ATC, but you will have to add sources .

Sounds better than Genelec ? Seriously?

I'd not go towards the Devialets if it were me, for the price you can go louder and get better sound, including a DSP and a pro amp.
I think in this case the OP has very little choice. All he can do is facilitate auditions and hope a good sounding speaker (or pair) gets selected.
Looks and ease of use matter. All accumulated (and future) brownie points have been used up towards the man-cave :p

Cheers,
Raghu

I think in this case the OP has very little choice. All he can do is facilitate auditions and hope a good sounding speaker (or pair) gets selected.
Looks and ease of use matter. All accumulated (and future) brownie points have been used up towards the man-cave :p

Cheers,
Raghu

I guess I don't think about these things because they don't apply to me.

If you need small,pretty then I suppose Devialet is okay. Personally I'd rather get a Marshall as a "lifestyle" product. The Devialets are too expensive for what they are.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back