Dish TV launches 30 channels on HD format

wow! 1080i reception is HD as per dish coo, no need for content to be shot in hd

Salil Kapoor, COO, Dish TV, asserted: "If you receive your feed in 1080i, then it is HD. High definition is defined by the reception of 1080i. We are getting feeds for all 30 channels in this format directly from the broadcasters

Firing up DTH - Hindustan Times

and then Tatasky fellow says this

Harit Nagpal, MD, Tata Sky, added, "The HD inventory is getting created. Bollywood has started shooting movies in HD

No wonder india dth is in current state

Re: False marketing stunt - making common people fool

DishTV had given an introductory free preview of all HD channels to customers have purchased the HD starter pack. They discontinued it on 6th March. They have started free preview again yesterday. I guess they realized that no-one's going to pay for upscaled channels.

HD Starter Pack - 125 Rupees.
This includes Discovery HD World and NatGeo HD. Along with few other upscaled Channels.

HD A La Carte Pack - 100 Rupees
This includes MOVIES NOW. along with few other Blah blah upscaled channels.

World Cup HD Pack - 150 Rupees

wow! 1080i reception is HD as per dish coo, no need for content to be shot in hd
'Dish TruHD' to be rebranded as 'Dish FakeHD'. Well, it ought to be based on their moronic, technical understanding of HD. Simply upscaling SD channels, does not make the channels HD. Flat panel TVs are all fixed resolution displays and thus they are capable of displaying only one single resolution and therefore all HD TVs upscale all SD signals before displaying them. So based on the skewed logic of Dish TV, no one really needs to get Dish TruHD at all, since even regular SD DTH customers are also watching all channels in HD already.

Salil Kapoor, COO, Dish TV, asserted: "If you receive your feed in 1080i, then it is HD. High definition is defined by the reception of 1080i. We are getting feeds for all 30 channels in this format directly from the broadcasters

and then Tatasky fellow says this

Harit Nagpal, MD, Tata Sky, added, "The HD inventory is getting created. Bollywood has started shooting movies in HD

No wonder india dth is in current state
Both these guys ought to be fired and asked to go sell Surf/Nirma, for that's all they are fit to do. They are both morons of the highest order. What I totally fail to understand is, what is the role of Sky in TataSky, do they not provide any technical input to the idiots running TataSky in India. The real advantage of tying up with a company with experience is for the technical expertise and Sky being part ofthe same group as Direct TV in the US is by the most experienced DTH company in the world.

I have been talking with Dish TV Senior Management including their technical teams. I have persuaded them to test these SD channels after compressing using MPEG4 h.264 and AAC audio at the same bitrate they are allocating for the upscaled HD channels. I have given them a sweet talking that unless they do something to resolve these issues of asking us to pay for the same SD channels in a bit better format will land them into legal dispute as they should have instead compressed these channels using MPEG4 for the Dish HD users on Asia Sat 5. They have promised to get back to me on that.

Salil Kapoor, COO, Dish TV, asserted: "We are getting feeds for all 30 channels in this format directly from the broadcasters."

We should SUE Mr. Kapoor for such a BIG LIE! They are doing conversion IN-HOUSE and claiming them to be coming from broadcasters! WOW!!!

'Dish TruHD' to be rebranded as 'Dish FakeHD'. Well, it ought to be based on their moronic, technical understanding of HD. Simply upscaling SD channels, does not make the channels HD.

I personally think that they know this and just want to fool around acting as if they dont know. It is surprising to think that a COO of any random DTH company will not know this. He was obviously talking out of his ***.

I have been talking with Dish TV Senior Management including their technical teams. I have persuaded them to test these SD channels after compressing using MPEG4 h.264 and AAC audio at the same bitrate they are allocating for the upscaled HD channels. I have given them a sweet talking that unless they do something to resolve these issues of asking us to pay for the same SD channels in a bit better format will land them into legal dispute as they should have instead compressed these channels using MPEG4 for the Dish HD users on Asia Sat 5. They have promised to get back to me on that.

Do you work in/for the DTH industry? Just curious...

Do you work in/for the DTH industry? Just curious...
No, however I have been following MPEG and its further developments like MPEG2, MP3, AAC, MPEG4's various revisions very closely and have been researching on AV compression technologies since almost inception (almost 15 years now). This is my passion and has nothing to do with my profession.

What happens when the customers start complaining of the quality of other upscaled channels while comparing to discovery and NG. Does dish tv say that the broadcaster has given them PQ of inferior quality. I hope the other broadcaster's take the compliment in good spirits.

Dish TV is a True Cheat, See dis for urself:

MUMBAI: Even if you are the market leader, you won't be spared for misleading advertising. This is the message that the Advertising Standards Council of India (Asci) wants to make crystal clear.

In the latest development, Asci has pulled up the leading direct-to-home (DTH) service provider company Dish TV for claiming to have 50 per cent of the market share in its advertisement.

The Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) of the Asci had received a complaint against Dish TV's ad that had a punch line of "Half the nation loves Dish TV.''

"The CCC concluded that as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) data states, Dish TV has a 31.6 per cent of the market share; the claim, half the nation loves Dish TV, is misleading," Asci said.

Asci has asked Dish TV to modify the advert.

Dish TV, in the advertisement, had quoted the Indian Readership Survey (IRS) data of Q2 2010. The ads appeared in some newspapers earlier this year.

However, Asci noted that IRS is only a survey report that is neither comprehensive nor accurate. "IRS data or any data published by a private organisation can therefore not be relied on as an authentic source of information," Asci said.

According to Asci, Trai has reported the installed subscriber base for the second quarter of the calendar year 2010 as 23.77 million. The financial result published by Dish TV for the same quarter indicated a gross subscriber base of 7.5 million which translates to a market share of 31.6 per cent.

"In light of the above, the campaign is false and factually incorrect," the Asci ruled.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/mam/headlines/y2k11/mar/marmam56.php

Someone shud mail ASCI for their Misleading AD of HD as well.

Dish TV is a True Cheat, See dis for urself:

MUMBAI: Even if you are the market leader, you won't be spared for misleading advertising. This is the message that the Advertising Standards Council of India (Asci) wants to make crystal clear.

In the latest development, Asci has pulled up the leading direct-to-home (DTH) service provider company Dish TV for claiming to have 50 per cent of the market share in its advertisement.

The Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) of the Asci had received a complaint against Dish TV's ad that had a punch line of "Half the nation loves Dish TV.''

"The CCC concluded that as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) data states, Dish TV has a 31.6 per cent of the market share; the claim, half the nation loves Dish TV, is misleading," Asci said.

Asci has asked Dish TV to modify the advert.

Dish TV, in the advertisement, had quoted the Indian Readership Survey (IRS) data of Q2 2010. The ads appeared in some newspapers earlier this year.

However, Asci noted that IRS is only a survey report that is neither comprehensive nor accurate. "IRS data or any data published by a private organisation can therefore not be relied on as an authentic source of information," Asci said.

According to Asci, Trai has reported the installed subscriber base for the second quarter of the calendar year 2010 as 23.77 million. The financial result published by Dish TV for the same quarter indicated a gross subscriber base of 7.5 million which translates to a market share of 31.6 per cent.

"In light of the above, the campaign is false and factually incorrect," the Asci ruled.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/mam/headlines/y2k11/mar/marmam56.php

Someone shud mail ASCI for their Misleading AD of HD as well.

Do you know how to email them? I would love to do that. These DTH companies are clueless about new technologies and trying to mislead us continuously.

There are only two HD channels on Dish TV. Cricket HD is also HD but shown only during the match. Rest all channels are FAKE HD just to make fool of 1.19 billion people. I don't know the Dish TV is doing knowingly of they are so ignorant that they don't know the meaning of HD. To me it seems like another big scam. I don't know who is the quality controller of TV Channels.Let us try to fight a legal battle so that in future no one other dares to befool the people of India.

Correction : 4 HD channels - Nat Geo, Discovery HD World, Movies Now and DD HD (directly from DD Direct+ if it broadcast something). Lets collectively ask these questions to the COO. He should actually step down IMMEDIATELY for making such FAKE remarks on 1080i.

The package grouping itself is very obvious that they are out there to rip.
The HD package is mandatory at Rs.125 and does not include Movies Now (intentionally?). Movies Now has to be separately taken at an ala carte package of Rs.100, along with some upscaled channels

The package grouping itself is very obvious that they are out there to rip.
The HD package is mandatory at Rs.125 and does not include Movies Now (intentionally?). Movies Now has to be separately taken at an ala carte package of Rs.100, along with some upscaled channels

EXACTLY, I have complained this to their senior management. They basically want us to pay Rs.125 for 2 HD channels and another Rs.100 for Movies Now. They are suggesting to be launching another alacarte pack for Movies Now only. I still feel Rs.125 is way too high for upscaled channels and should ATLEAST include Movies Now in it.

Having 2 copies of a same channel is really waste of resources. They could get decent quality for 1 copy of a channel, and then can try for having the HD channels separate. If their pricing becomes fair, I am thinking of moving to another operator. Right now, I dont see any opreator with good SD quality + HD DVR as well. Closest is Videocon? Waiting for Airtel to launch a HD DVR.

Having 2 copies of a same channel is really waste of resources. They could get decent quality for 1 copy of a channel, and then can try for having the HD channels separate. If their pricing becomes fair, I am thinking of moving to another operator. Right now, I dont see any opreator with good SD quality + HD DVR as well. Closest is Videocon? Waiting for Airtel to launch a HD DVR.
Yes even I feel Videocon might be a good option. And yes, its a waste of bandwidth particularly when we pay for the same source channel TWICE.

On a lighter note - I wonder when TATA Sky comes out with a campaign that says "new 1080i HD channels from star network". Will DishTV say "We've had them for months"? :-D

^ I hope it wont be as fake as Dish TV and TS will be able to compensate for their terrible SD quality through more TRUE HD channels with real 5.1.

DishTV has continued their free preview of HD. So I am seeing today's match in HD without paying extra!

Sigh....I didn't know that earlier or else I would have invited my friends to see it at my place on a big screen.

Back