Dish TV launches 30 channels on HD format

Free previews are off. That again makes DishTV most expensive around. 550pm for Platinum + NGC + Discovery + Movies Now + DD HD when it's available. A-la-carte is defined "mandatory" in DishTV's dictionary :(.

It talks about issues besides 30 upscaled channels, this includes a minimal program guide which doesn't display long channel names.

Yes, also Times Now and ET Now even in HD has a lot of GHOST EDGES and lines. They look like 2 images overlapped in one! TS do not have this issue even with a regular SD channels.

About time the 'FRAUD' being perpetuated by Dish TV was highlighted and brought to the attention of the average consumer. Unfortunately, this expose is quite timid in their exposure of the 'FRAUD' by Dish TV. The program needed to more agressively attack both DIsh TV and Shahrukh Khan for their FRAUD and misleading business practices.

CNBC TV18 is being shown on DishTV, so they can't be aggressive :).

SRK has nothing to do with this conspiracy. He's just paid to act and talk the way director says.

About time the 'FRAUD' being perpetuated by Dish TV was highlighted and brought to the attention of the average consumer. Unfortunately, this expose is quite timid in their exposure of the 'FRAUD' by Dish TV. The program needed to more agressively attack both DIsh TV and Shahrukh Khan for their FRAUD and misleading business practices.

CNBC TV18 is being shown on DishTV, so they can't be aggressive :).

SRK has nothing to do with this conspiracy. He's just paid to act and talk the way director says.

Yes but he is responsible for the "comments" he make on the service. Also, he should have kept himself aware of what Dish TV was upto. I am still working with senior management of Dish TV with their technical team to get these things nailed and highlighted of what they are trying to do with such misleading "HD" channels. Its like converting an audio cassette to Audio CD and then COMPRESSING it to mp3 and calling it "CD Quality". If they had so much bandwidth to WASTE, they should have instead chosen to RELAY the original SD channel without recompression which will ALWAYS be LOSSY despite if it looks "good" to some of us.

Like what TS do for FTA DD Direct+ channels, instead of relaying them as it is like Dish TV, they recompress it, significantly reducing the audio and video quality, which is quite an IRRESPONSIBLE move by these DTH providers. I believe only Dish TV and Sun DTH is currently passing through those DD Direct+ channels like 9XM and rest are doing recompression which will certainly reduce quality even if they follow Dish TV in converting to HD before recompressing.

Last edited:
Even if most of the HD channels of the dish tv pack is upscaled SD, I must say that the quality of upscale is much much better than what my tv or avr did on the original sd channels froom normal box. hence i will say that having the hd box gives overall better sd pq as compared to the non hd box.

your avr/tv did a bad job because it tried to upscale an already compressed( read low quality) SD input. Dish tv might be using a better quality upscaler ... but the real advantage is they use the original high quality stream ...

But calling an upscaled channel ( even if it beats real hd in quality ) is fraud. If you enlarge a 100 Rs/- note ( using the best copier in the world ) will anybody pay you 1000?

Instead it would be called a fake currency.
This is what Dish TV is doing ... selling enlarged 100 rs/- note for 1000.

They call it trueHD where as it is fakeHD truly.

I have no problem in dish TV selling upscaled channels ( many claim they improve quality ...) but calling they HD is a scam and should be deemed illegal and will happen in a country like India only.

30 HD Channels at one go....hard to believe..........must be upscaled.......

your avr/tv did a bad job because it tried to upscale an already compressed( read low quality) SD input. Dish tv might be using a better quality upscaler ... but the real advantage is they use the original high quality stream ...

But calling an upscaled channel ( even if it beats real hd in quality ) is fraud. If you enlarge a 100 Rs/- note ( using the best copier in the world ) will anybody pay you 1000?

Instead it would be called a fake currency.
This is what Dish TV is doing ... selling enlarged 100 rs/- note for 1000.

They call it trueHD where as it is fakeHD truly.

I have no problem in dish TV selling upscaled channels ( many claim they improve quality ...) but calling they HD is a scam and should be deemed illegal and will happen in a country like India only.

ha ha ha ... good analogy of that 100 rs note . :)

I agree that most of these channels are not true HD and they should not market it like that. But truly the quality of upscale is too good. I am happy as long as I have the free preview.

One other obsservation is that as i have connected my stb via toslink cable to avr the avr shows PCM as input but I hardly get multi channel playback though the avr like in 5.1 / 7.1 case. Not sure if I have to turn on any specific setting. Dolby PL2 or Neo 6 does not seem to have any effect, audio is coming only from center channel, Hence i am playing only in multi channel stereo mode.

ha ha ha ... good analogy of that 100 rs note . :)

I agree that most of these channels are not true HD and they should not market it like that. But truly the quality of upscale is too good. I am happy as long as I have the free preview.
Like he indicated, you get better quality largely due to the use of MORE BANDWIDTH and MPEG4 on those channels. Instead if they use MPEG4 and GOD FORBID the same bandwidth they are dedicating for these "HD" channels, you would get FAR SUPERIOR picture as the info to be compressed will be 5 times less and the STB will anyway upscale it through HDMI.

Also, I believe free preview of Alacarte HD channels (including Movies Now) is stopped for me. Do you still get it?

One other obsservation is that as i have connected my stb via toslink cable to avr the avr shows PCM as input but I hardly get multi channel playback though the avr like in 5.1 / 7.1 case. Not sure if I have to turn on any specific setting. Dolby PL2 or Neo 6 does not seem to have any effect, audio is coming only from center channel, Hence i am playing only in multi channel stereo mode.
Thats because there is no Dolby Digital 5.1 surround (yet) on Dish HD and STILL no news of it coming to them (though I am told "shortly"). I am working with top management of Dish TV to highlight these issues for us and to improve their service. Might get an update by Monday.

PS: You should continue to use the TOSLINK connection as it gives best quality audio despite being PCM stereo for now.

I think today morning I found some good surround effects in the Nat Geo HD and Discovery HD channels. Is may not be my AVR since one week back during World Cup it was not doing well with PLII when the Dish HD output was fed via Optical and now all of a sudden for the same setup I am getting surround effect? Anyone else experiencing the same? Dish fixed it?

Must be Dolby Prologic effect from stereo. It still works for quite a few channels like Movies Now.

Nat Geo HD is still distorting on the left channel and we are discussing "surround effect" :) Nat Geo still has very high volume on the left channel distorting the bass frequency as in the last about 15 days. Has nothing to do with World Cup broadcasts.

But yes, Discovery HD is back to the original sound... no issues since yesterday evening. Surround effect can come from ANY STEREO source, has nothing to do with Dish TV unless they are properly encoding the 5.1 to pro logic 2 stream which I am unsure if they are actually doing it especially when they talk of licensing issue broadcasting in Dolby Digital (they might need similar license for their head unit to encode in PL2).

Last edited:
Very true (surround effect can be forced for any stereo source).

I think DishTV will need Dolby licensing only if they are converting a non-Dolby signal to a Dolby encoded signal. Just passing on Dolby (PL/Digital) signals shouldn't require a license.

Very true (surround effect can be forced for any stereo source).

I think DishTV will need Dolby licensing only if they are converting a non-Dolby signal to a Dolby encoded signal. Just passing on Dolby (PL/Digital) signals shouldn't require a license.

Passing STEREO as any other source (PL is just a way of representing STEREO from source) will certainly not cause any issue even if they recompress or do their "AUDIO ENGINEERING" (read - distort, equalize original sound). And anyway original sound on these HD channels is most probably DD5.1 instead of PL2, so Dish TV will have to convert 5.1 to STEREO using PL2 Algorithm (if they really bother doing that). For this they may need PL2 licensed equipment like our AVRs, Cassette Recorders, etc.

However as per THEM, they need license to pass Dolby Digital sound (as most probably they will be recompressing from one DD5.1 to another instead of passing original DD5.1 - some thing rubbish which even TS seems to be doing).

Last edited:
Passing STEREO as any other source (PL is just a way of representing STEREO from source) will certainly not cause any issue even if they recompress or do their "AUDIO ENGINEERING" (read - distort, equalize original sound). And anyway original sound on these HD channels is most probably DD5.1 instead of PL2, so Dish TV will have to convert 5.1 to STEREO using PL2 Algorithm (if they really bother doing that). For this they may need PL2 licensed equipment like our AVRs, Cassette Recorders, etc.

Agreed.

However as per THEM, they need license to pass Dolby Digital sound (as most probably they will be recompressing from one DD5.1 to another instead of passing original DD5.1 - some thing rubbish which even TS seems to be doing).

If they decode and then encode DD5.1 again, they'll need a distributor's license (as opposed to just a user's license required for decoding instruments). Why would they want to do that? Obviously they are not stupid, there has to be an explanation for this. Can someone shed some light on this?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back