DIY - First Attempt

novice-akki

Greetings,

I've just upgraded to a set of component speakers for my car.

As a result, I'm left with a pair of 4 inch coax speakers [Boschmann] in really good condition, decided to bring them back rather than leave them with installer.

I've 01 piece of 19 mm - 4' X 4' commercial board lying at home.

Now, can somebody please suggest box dimension [ported/sealed] to use with desktop PC or as a center channel with my AVR.

It may be a waste of time and effort but would still like to go ahead with it as I've nothing to loose and it'll serve as a learning curve for future builds/projects.

PS: I tried to look up for some specs/details for the drivers on net but no luck, I can post some pictures of the drivers, if required.

Waiting for your replies.

Cheers

117 views, no replies :sad:

Hey novice-akki, First off I'm not a professional level speaker builder, but like yourself, I too have have been mulling using some beautiful co-axial speakers that I pulled out of my outgoing car to make boxed speakers for home use.

Two issues, to be highlighted before you go any further, and I have seen these mentioned so many times it not even funny:
(a) You will need some 'TS' parameters to determine the volume and porting of the ideal boxes for your 4" drivers. It is difficult to find these for car audio speakers as my efforts in finding the same have proved.
(b) Even with all necessary data available, the fact remains, car audio speakers are 4 ohms as against home speakers (in general) which are rated at 8 ohms (there are exceptions and variations), as are home AV receivers. This can be a problem if you are planning to drive your speakers at loud volume.

Now firstly, this here
DIY
is a good starting-point guide, and you can use many of the site's features to arrive at your desired answers.

(You will need some basic and intermediate level knowledge of speaker building/electricals to understand all the terms used.)

Diyaudio.com is another source with lots of well-planned and executed projects.

Most importantly, the first step in being part of a forum, as in building technically complex projects is being patient. I too am a "novice" at this forum and would like to say all the best for your first attempt. Am sure, eventually the gurus (and trust me there are many of them) will respond to you.

You do realize that the majority of people who view this post( me included) will not be in a position to comment or respond with inadequate info,right?

Such temptations result in good diy speakers one day .

car coaxials if of synthetic cone rather than paper will not do that great jub as home speaker.
car environmeent items give good SPL not quality sound.
May be garden , kitchen speakers you can make, where music is just there for companion..give it a try .
Old 2 in one speakers are good candidate for a very good start diy book shelf project.
infact the philips powerhouse speakers can be improved with better crossovers , wiring etc .

How were they mounted in car? Were they on the shelf behind the rear seat? If yes,and if they worked well there, it will mean that they were working on infinite baffle principle. Such speakers are good candidates for open baffle speakers. Cheapest and easiest to build. If they needed proper box/enclosure in car, then they will not work well on open baffles.

They were in-dash [front] , factory provided slot - Santro.

I'm trying to get hold of a decent digicam to upload a few pics as my digicam is playing up, or else will take a few pics with my phone.

Such temptations result in good diy speakers one day .

Well that's THE idea.

car coaxials if of synthetic cone rather than paper will not do that great jub as home speaker.

yes, its definitely not paper cone

car environmeent items give good SPL not quality sound.
May be garden , kitchen speakers you can make, where music is just there for companion..give it a try .

Sure thing.

Please find the pics for 4" Boschmann drivers along with a project that didn't go as planned - suggestions for both please !!!

Kindly excuse the poor image quality, crappy phone cam :eek:

Last edited:
dont waste time on those !
i know that poly cone ones real bad , even dainty pair in 300Rs is better option because the mdf etc takes same time so start with other options.

^^Kaushik, I'll take your advice and dump the plan of buillding boxes for BM drivers.

But, If I post the outer dimensions for the boxes in the pictures, will you be able to tell which drivers will suit them best ?

^^Kaushik, I'll take your advice and dump the plan of buillding boxes for BM drivers.

But, If I post the outer dimensions for the boxes in the pictures, will you be able to tell which drivers will suit them best ?
say bye bye to those boxes
Not entering on to theory ?
You can put little smartness and make an optimal speaker pair with some standard size.
For Eg. Pick a cabinet dimension from here HI-FI SPEAKER CABINETS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog..
and do a mdf job with .
Collect peerless drivers and tweak a little with poly fill ,XO etc. I am sure it may not be 100% but will be smooth start.

With a heavy heart they will be used for bonfire this winter.

I'd like to make t. Antony's speakers and have emailed Peerless India reg. availability of drivers and also expressed this desire in t. Antony's original thread. waiting for his response.

bonfire with synthetics will pollute the air, better give to poor falla and get blessings .
the t antony project replica is a guaranteed good start , here also you will learn a lot .

novice akki, I hope you take some insipration from the whole episode and continue your DIY journey with enthusiasm. :). Don't be disheartened.

Definitely, what I've gone through is nothing compared to what you guru's go through.

I've already decided to make a 2 way MTM based on t.antony's design, have emailed Peerless India but trying to find Jeetu Bhai's email id to check availability of drivers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back