DIY fixed frame screen

great start mate..make sure the cloth fully tensioned upon the frame.
i wil pm you later for more knowledge..
i have a plan also for fixed frame..
thanks

Hi,

I have carpenter working on furniture and I am planning to use this Blackout Cloth Projector Screen Material cloth and 2inch black felt tape to create fixed frame screen.

I am planning to use it with either Epson two 6100 or 8100 if budget permits.

Any drawback or suggestions?

I am also planning to order the same at carls place website to be carried by someone returning from US.

Have you ordered it? please let me know the weight of the package.

Do we need felt tape for black bordering? can we not paint the wooden frame in Black colour?

Great initiative dude. Even I am in the look out for a 150" diagonal, 16:9 screen. My PJ is Epson TW 8000.

BTW, what have you thought for properly and evenly stretching the screen material on the wooden frame? I also heard that its better to go with metallic frames than wooden ones to make them stronger and create proper tension for the screen material on them.

Thanks,
John.

@rdksrk2013 I didn't order it yet but asked for the weight its 3.2lb for screen and 1.2lb for the tape.

I am planning to paint the frame black but I suppose the tape adds more premium feel. Its just $25 more.

@john_k_antony I am getting frame done from carpenter (already working on interiors). I should him the instruction page and I said he can get it done without wrinkles.

@rdksrk2013 I didn't order it yet but asked for the weight its 3.2lb for screen and 1.2lb for the tape.

I am planning to paint the frame black but I suppose the tape adds more premium feel. Its just $25 more.

@john_k_antony I am getting frame done from carpenter (already working on interiors). I should him the instruction page and I said he can get it done without wrinkles.

Hi rahul !
I am glad that someone started a thread on DIY Fixed frame screen at right time (for me :yahoo:) as I will be taking up the same task after a couple of months.

What are the dimensions of the screen you are planning to build and
What are the dimensions of the cloth you are planning to purchase?

I am planning for a 120" screen ~(104"x58"). The size available on their (Carl's Place - Projector Screen Material, Kits & More!) website is 66"x110". Will this be enough for 120" screen as we need to wrap some of the cloth around the frame. If it elongates then it will be alright.

Last edited:
Good to see some one going the DIY way, I will also do this soon... right now, planning to have a wall screen with black borders.

Hi rahul !
I am glad that someone started a thread on DIY Fixed frame screen at right time (for me :yahoo:) as I will be taking up the same task after a couple of months.

What are the dimensions of the screen you are planning to build and
What are the dimensions of the cloth you are planning to purchase?

I am planning for a 120" screen ~(104"x58"). The size available on their (Carl's Place - Projector Screen Material, Kits & More!) website is 66"x110". Will this be enough for 120" screen as we need to wrap some of the cloth around the frame. If it elongates then it will be alright.

The 66" x 110 " works out to 128" diagonal for the cloth size 'carls place' sells. So after leaving 8" ie 4" on each side to take care of folding and stapling the screen at the edge you get 104" x 58" exactly sufficient for 120" screen.

I have a 11 ft width and 9 ft high wall and I am working on making a rough sketch with frame and screen to check if I have sufficient space on the sides to accomodate floorstanders or go for wallhung bookshelf.

I will be sharing the same shortly.

In the meantime rahul share the dimensions of the wooden frame being fabricated for the benfit of all of us

hello rahul,

any updates to share on your screen workout to share?

My friend is carrying the screen cloth from US and I will receive it around mid August. I will post update by end of Aug, as my AV room is also getting ready, just finished cabling and false celling.

Will keep you posted

My friend is carrying the screen cloth from US and I will receive it around mid August. I will post update by end of Aug, as my AV room is also getting ready, just finished cabling and false celling.

Will keep you posted

Guys, I have also ordered the same cloth. Carl's blackout cloth. The material is already here, but the carpenter is making some other stuff for the house, so some delay. I will also update my post in a few days' time. Cheers!

Guys, I have also ordered the same cloth. Carl's blackout cloth. The material is already here, but the carpenter is making some other stuff for the house, so some delay. I will also update my post in a few days' time. Cheers!

Great !!! :clapping:
How much did you pay for it ?
you got it shipped from the seller or someone hand carried the product ?

Will keep you posted

The carl's blackout cloth which i had also ordered will be brought in September. I will put up the screen then.

can you share some snaps of the cabling? how did you route the cables particularly seperating the power and HDMI cables?

The carl's blackout cloth which i had also ordered will be brought in September. I will put up the screen then.

can you share some snaps of the cabling? how did you route the cables particularly separating the power and HDMI cables?

In my setup, the front wall will have only the screen and 3 speakers.

I am placing all my AV equipment at the rear-wall (instead of front). The projector will be placed on shelf (not ceiling mounted). I have made provision for the power plug next to projector shelf. The HDMI cable will be around 7ft going from receiver to projector in its own pipe. This will prevent any power cable interference.

The speaker cables (DAC SPK14 AWG) are routed though walls for rear and sides. Front and center through false ceiling.

HTH

I am also getting the following screen materials from Carl's. I am getting it shipped directly from Carl's place and its on its way. Will reach me in a week's time. I ordered the following for a 150" 16:9 screen. I had to order extra cloth as they only have fixed sizes.

1. 10.5' x 14' ( 126" x 168" ) FlexiWhite - FlexiWhite Projector Screen Material

2. 3", 60' black felt tape - Black Felt Tape

I spend $200 for the above materials with shipping to India via USPS Priority Mail International.

Looking forward for the delivery :).

-John.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back