DIY: Pass F5 turbo v2 initiated

As per Sachin's advice changed the output 150ohms resister to 100ohms on the CNC phono. Now it has good enough gain to drive the F5t through SSP & B1. This was required since my speakers are less efficient. Anyway planning a higher efficient open baffle consisting of Fostex 126en fullrange + Eminence alpha 15a woofer(~MJK design)for the F5t.

Best regards,

Bhaskar

I completed my dual mono vertical box. Running successfully at source resistor voltage drop 300mV(0.6A bias) per device

Power Supply, mains section

image956.jpg

Closeup

image943.jpg

Partition separation, 7mm gap between central mounting bolt of transformer and covering panel.
5-6mm gap between power cap body and side panel.

image942.jpg

Other side of the partition, all power bank of DC voltages.

image951.jpg

Closeup of power switch and reset switch for slow start.
My amp does not power on automatically on mains supply reconnection.
It needs push button trigger to switch on.

image953.jpg

Both 75C thermostat attached to heatsink using spring taken out from cloth drying plastic clip.

image947.jpg

Closeup of ground isolator connected to chassis at the center with mains earth and PS filter board ground wire coming from behind at bottom.

image948.jpg

Aluminum handles with M4 screws. 3mm red LED uprooted from soft-start board relocated here with 2mm opening in top face plate.

image949p.jpg

One side of complete box. Now playing happily. :)

image958f.jpg

Last edited:
nice cab om

now those are sinks that will really dissipate!

will the amp stay in vertical position leaving the fins how they are are will you horizontally plave the amp ?

if you are gonna use the amp in vertical position
this sink would have also work
no ?

nice cab om

now those are sinks that will really dissipate!

will the amp stay in vertical position leaving the fins how they are are will you horizontally plave the amp ?

if you are gonna use the amp in vertical position
this sink would have also work
no ?

Magma, thanks. You need 2 of these per channel and not less than 8" height per piece, even 10" is better. Also these need to thermally well coupled on some 10mm base plate of same surface area.

I found that FM sann's heatsink worked with better efficiency and higher cooling because it has more fins surface contacting air with adequate base 12mm plate.
Ref -
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/28245-diy-pass-f5-turbo-v2-initiated-71.html#post468830

With fan air ventilating ambiance it was good go to 270mV(0.54A) bias per device. That huge power of 70Wp-p and 35Wavg. 8-10" length of that could have done wonders.

Last edited:
Omishra,

That is a great news for me!

By the way, I am planning to drive Magnepan MG-12,[4 ohms, Sensitivity 86 dB] with the proposed build. Will the Heatsink with you suffice the purpose or I should look for larger one ie 8" or 10".

Kindly guide.

Vipin

Omishra,

That is a great news for me!

By the way, I am planning to drive Magnepan MG-12,[4 ohms, Sensitivity 86 dB] with the proposed build. Will the Heatsink with you suffice the purpose or I should look for larger one ie 8" or 10".

Kindly guide.

Vipin
I have GR research of same sensitivity. I did not face any issue. If you are planning to burn more wattage (>70W/ch) then you have to buy bigger. sann can explain better if he ever felt less power for his F5t at 70Wp-p and 35W avg power. He is using it.

I have never noticed it struggling, it drives my Focals with ease, and in the recent Pune mini HiFi meet it was driving B&W 685 (88dB, 8ohm) beautifully, it was also paired with Yamaha floor standers and ProAc BS.
Regards, sann'

BTW, I have 2 pairs of the same lot available with me - black anodized, drilled, tapped according to this GB PCBs. I bought it to make another F5t but now withdrawing the plan. You can easily go to 250-270mV with these.

Fine! reserve One pair for me.

Please check my PM

Regards,

Vipin

Buy back offer: Want 1 stereo kit

Anybody who brought kit from this GB and haven't built yet, willing to sell, please contact me. I will be building another amp for me, within new chassis. I need to build one stereo F5 turbo v2 for me.

[Previous one F5v2, pictured here by me given to FM - definitely my best amp ever had. Not sure how far I can go with my new build. bar are raised for myself.]

Last edited:

Anybody who brought kit from this GB and haven't built yet, willing to sell, please contact me. I will be building another amp for me, within new chassis. I need to build one stereo F2 turbo for me.

[Previous one given to FM - definitely my best amp ever had. Not sure how far I can go with my new build. bar are raised for myself.]

Please contact FM GVenu.

Thanks,
Bibin

Hi Om,

Is there any way to make amp insulator free??? Asking so as Insulators add to thermal resistance and therefore degrade heat transfer and also breakdown can occur causing the amp to fail.

Being Class - A, direct metal to metal contact can facilitate much better heat transfer.

What say?

Om,

Did you get another stereo set?

Thanks

Anybody who brought kit from this GB and haven't built yet, willing to sell, please contact me. I will be building another amp for me, within new chassis. I need to build one stereo F5 turbo v2 for me.

[Previous one F5v2, pictured here by me given to FM - definitely my best amp ever had. Not sure how far I can go with my new build. bar are raised for myself.]

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back