DIY rack for placing AVR etc. Is it a bad idea to make with with Glass ??? Does it vibrate??

Actually I am also looking to make it with 3 layers of removable modular decks. Right now I want to keep the total height more so that my kid do not reach the centre channel. As she grows up and understands, I will remove the top deck, and position the centre channel and PJ image down by 1 feet.

It looks wonderful !!!! From the picture it looks like a thick acrylic. 1" may be? But the whole setup looks very nice. Thanks for sharing !!!☺️☺️☺️
Its nice and a proud feel to display the avr and other gear.

In my case i have to conceal the front, left and right sides as I have a small kid. I think I can think of acrylic there. Thanks again for sharing,,,,☺️☺️
hey thank you for your kind words Naveen. Its 1.5 " thick and the whole stand is on spikes which rest on couplers so its very steady !.

I would be interested to know cost too. My plan is still to use century ply for sides and .5mm thick glass for trays. I think another concern would be to check that glass being reflective would it interfere with the highs? Although it's between the speakers still.

long back i placed the avr on two glasses and some thermocol cut pieces.
Its a very temporary setup though .... later i didn't focus on the rack.
Now im looking at a rack again ....

View attachment 28051

Nice idea!!
You can spruce it up by using clay bricks sandwiched between thermocol.
Something like this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiu3Ji1_qXeAhUJbn0KHd57DAgQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http://gosmartbricks.com/porotherm-clay-hollow-bricks/&psig=AOvVaw0MhsJYGe9TSV9_Y2FmOAv4&ust=1540707914394672

The thermocol itself you can spray paint them to a color/contrast of your taste to make it visually "zara hatke"

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Naveen my entire rack is made of acrylic and steel . As you can see for yourself i have a lot of equipment on it. View attachment 28058 Its inert and doesn't vibrate. And it was designed by JK from Surat who is wvery well known in our forums and audiophile circles.
Cheers !
Anand

How high is it? is it steel tube over threaded rod? or please give more details & costing?

Did you ever place a TT on glass rack and any issues?

Nope, I've never used glass. I have a rack made out of some available MDF. We got some carpenters down to do some kitchen furniture for us and there were some left over MDF boards which we put to good use.

Hi all...
I am thinking of making a diy rack for placing ARV, Media Player, Laptop, and other stuff. And also a heavy amplifyer (for subwoofer)
It may have 4 wooden legs and closed on 3 sides (front left & right) with plywood etc.

Basically I am planning to use 12mm thick glass as the top of the rack. Is a glass bad idea??? Does it vibrate because of sub ???
Any idea please guys ????

Thanks in advance :)
You need to keep the sub out...
Have proper ventilation in all sides if possible...or else at least have vnetilation gaps in left and right side ...

Better to leave the front side open ..
Or we have magnet stick doors for front (Like we have grills for speakers) .. when in use we can remove it .. and close it when not in use..

I am also trying to get the same maget stick kind of doors... still searching in bangalore.

Yes, I tried....the TT can pick up subsonic vibrations from the glass, which will be seen as Woofer pumping.
It is better to avoid using glass.

Unfortunately the rack making is almost finished with glass top option. May I pace some damping material like thermocol beneath the TT plinth to make it stable and vibration free?

There are 4 rubber feets beneath the plinth that are from factory Design, are you saying that if records are not warped then the above feet may still be sufficient? I checked in the article you had pointed and it says the problem is for warped record's where it produces sub 20hz signal and it can stress out the sub. In my setup there is not sub yet for music

I noticed the excess woofer movement was seen after moving to a glass shelf (same records - no visible warp).
Perhaps it was there earlier also - to be on safe side, I put both damping as well as have subsonic filter.
Due to other demands over last few years, I have not had time to narrow it down further.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back