DIY Shielded IEC Power Cord

Does the copper braided sleeve connect to the ground or you run a separate third ground wire ?

This is how i executed..

cable

Wanted to update everyone on my DIY power cable journey.

I had an extensive listening, testing the new power cords... actually i have three components, but only two new cables, so used this cable i already had on the CD player.

View attachment 34497

View attachment 34496

Believe it or not, sound stage and dynamics are the first victims of a lessor power cord...
I have found that source components show a greater improvement, I suspect because their power supplies are not as "able" as those generally found in power amps.

The improvement in sound quality, and especially quietness and impact were unreal.
Dynamic performance, clarity and imaging are probably the most noticeable improvements across all components.
I have yet to receive the wall receptacles i ordered.

View attachment 34498

View attachment 34499

View attachment 34500

I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe that a power cable could make a difference until and unless the older one was damaged or very low quality. But your results are encouraging.
Please do let us know the whole chain of equipment.

Things to try in the future:
- Using different IEC and power connectors. I found a source for wall-sockets. My main purpose here is to get better connections.

As mentioned in my earlier post, i made couple more power cables using different connectors.

This one is done using FURUTECH connectors:

That’s a fantastic job! Would be great if you can let us know the performance difference with the different terminations.

FURUTECH: (This is the costliest of the lot)

FURUTECH FI-11M-N1 (G) Gold-plated Schuko Plug + FURUTECH FI-E11 (G) Connector IEC: US $65.00
Black & Yellow 16mm Braided PET Expandable Sleeving: US $3.00

Pre-Cut Heat Shrink Sleeve (Tube) 18mm x 100mm (10 Pcs): US $1.00
LAPP OLFLEX CLASSIC CY 2.5MM SHIELDED AUDIOPHILE GRADE POWER CABLE (Meter): ₹535.00

you can convert the amount to INR for total cost.

Last edited:
Great looking cables, and top class DIY!

I am tempted to fabricate couple of cables for myself... but restricted with my limited DIY skills.
Can you pl guide me?

Thanks

FURUTECH: (This is the costliest of the lot)

FURUTECH FI-11M-N1 (G) Gold-plated Schuko Plug + FURUTECH FI-E11 (G) Connector IEC: US $65.00
Black & Yellow 16mm Braided PET Expandable Sleeving: US $3.00

Pre-Cut Heat Shrink Sleeve (Tube) 18mm x 100mm (10 Pcs): US $1.00
LAPP OLFLEX CLASSIC CY 2.5MM SHIELDED AUDIOPHILE GRADE POWER CABLE (Meter): ₹535.00

you can convert the amount to INR for total cost.

I replaced the power cables of my dac and marantz amp with these lapp cables without any fancy connectors. This has transformed the sound. Its more smooth, bigger soundstage, more easy to listen to and enjoy. More air around notes and music seem to flow better. Must have for any kind of audio setup. Replace all power cords with these inexpensive cables.

Great looking cables, and top class DIY!

I am tempted to fabricate couple of cables for myself... but restricted with my limited DIY skills.
Can you pl guide me?

Thanks

Thanks,
Come with all the parts required... will guide you.

I replaced the power cables of my dac and marantz amp with these lapp cables without any fancy connectors. This has transformed the sound. Its more smooth, bigger soundstage, more easy to listen to and enjoy. More air around notes and music seem to flow better. Must have for any kind of audio setup. Replace all power cords with these inexpensive cables.

These are not so fancy connectors... just basic types.
Try these connectors along with the LAPP cable and see the difference.

Tempted to try diy. Maybe not with these high-end connectors.

To begin with you can try the entry level connectors... there is a huge range available.

Incidentally i completed the last two power cords yesterday... the arrival of new cables took almost 3 weeks.

20190530_145012.jpg

20190530_145017.jpg

20190530_145251.jpg

20190530_145235.jpg

DSCN0674.JPG

DSCN0675.JPG

DSCN0677.JPG

DSCN0679.JPG

DSCN0680.JPG

DSCN0681.JPG

Last edited:
Do share your impressions whenever you can of :
1 The new cables (Cardass and the other imported one)
2. Do these cables suit the power amps/amps in general more than sources?
3. How do these compare with the Lapp Cable on sources?
4. Previously what kind of changes did you observe when you changed between the various makes of the connectors with the Lapp Cable?

Cheers in advance!!

Taking inspiration and advice from @hydrovac, I just completed my first power cable with sonarquest connectors that I sourced from USA. Haven't used a sleeve and heat shrink tubing though. Now I will have to try this cable and see what difference I notice.
Used this to replace stock rega cable. I don't find much of a difference, maybe my untrained ears. I will try replacing the dac power Cable and see if that makes a difference.

Taking inspiration and advice from @hydrovac, I just completed my first power cable with sonarquest connectors that I sourced from USA. Haven't used a sleeve and heat shrink tubing though. Now I will have to try this cable and see what difference I notice.

Can you please post few pics of the build?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back